BajaNomad

Talking Car Technology

GypsyJan - 6-12-2018 at 11:17 PM

Hubby drove from Rosarito to San Diego yesterday and collapsed with a stroke. Some very kind friends drove me to the hospital and we tried to find our car( incorrect directions from hubby0, but his memory is impaired). We didn't find the car.

As my friends were taking me back home, the blue tooth application started talking to me. "Hello, how are you doing J....? I bristled up in my Manhattan street mode and said, "Are you AI or a real person?" "Are you tracking us?" The answers were yes, "I am a real person" and yes, we are tracking you." That's it for me, only classic old cars in my garage in the future. I really wish I still have my '69 Porsche 911.

[Edited on 6-15-2018 by GypsyJan]

TMW - 6-13-2018 at 10:05 AM

The way technology is advancing with self driving cars etc cars will soon be able to find their own way home, unless you tell it to stay put.

John Harper - 6-13-2018 at 10:16 AM

I hope your husband is doing well. Sounds like he's had a rough time lately.

Big Brother is watching.

John

caj13 - 6-13-2018 at 12:29 PM

Hey Jan, do you know how your husband got from Otay Mesa tio sharp medical?

if it was ems or an ambuillance, they should be able to tell you where they picked him up - and from there, it should be fairly easy to track down the car (unless he had walked away a considerable distance?)

ncampion - 6-13-2018 at 05:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by GypsyJan  
... That's it for me, only classic old cars in my garage in the future. I really wish I still have my '69 Porsche Carrea.

[Edited on 6-13-2018 by GypsyJan]

Not to hijack the thread, but I totally agree with driving older classic cars although the new ones sure do make the old ones look rough. As a bit of a Porsche aficionado, I have to point out that Porsche did not make a "Carrera" model in 1969, only the T, E and S models. The first Carrera RS was in 1973 but was not sold in the US until 1974 and was pretty much of a race only car that won just about everything in Europe that year. In 1974 Porsche succumbed to the US emission regulations and offered a 2.7 liter de-tunned engine in a car they branded Carrera, but it was an impotent pretender with a flashy paint job. I currently have a 1970 911S Targa that is an awfully nice car.

bajaguy - 6-13-2018 at 05:21 PM

I feel your pain. I has a 1965 356SC and a 1968 912 Targa

I really wish I still have my '69 Porsche Carrea. [Edited on 6-13-2018 by GypsyJan]

mtgoat666 - 6-13-2018 at 06:50 PM

I like all the new car technology. Fun stuff! Love talking cars, phones that answer my Qs and take dictation! I am eagerly awaiting my car to be my chauffeur too!

Hook - 6-14-2018 at 03:24 AM

I was reading some stuff about "smart" cars, self-driving cars, etc. and the article pointed out something that I had never considered. If a car can be told when and where to drive (and do it by itself), then it would be possible for more than one person/family to share a car like this.

Think about all the time a car sits at a location like work or home or an airport parking lot, simply because the person who drove it there can't leave that location for a set time period. Cars could be set up using something like Google Calendar; after it drops one person off, it proceeds to the next location to service another owner.

This would be pretty cool, really. Although it might make more financial sense to simply hire Uber cars that drive themselves and not have the investment in the car.

Bob and Susan - 6-14-2018 at 04:59 AM

location? don't worry about the car...worry about the phone...it tracks and LISTENS to everything...even when OFF

bezzell - 6-14-2018 at 06:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
I was reading some stuff about "smart" cars, self-driving cars, etc. and the article pointed out something that I had never considered. If a car can be told when and where to drive (and do it by itself), then it would be possible for more than one person/family to share a car like this.

Think about all the time a car sits at a location like work or home or an airport parking lot, simply because the person who drove it there can't leave that location for a set time period. Cars could be set up using something like Google Calendar; after it drops one person off, it proceeds to the next location to service another owner.

This would be pretty cool, really. Although it might make more financial sense to simply hire Uber cars that drive themselves and not have the investment in the car.

holy crap?? you're just figuring this out now?? is this a joke?
next, you'll be referencing a tree on a shoreline re sea-level rise !

omfg

MMc - 6-14-2018 at 07:13 AM

I hope your husband recovers quickly!
Yes, your phone is a leash.
The self driving cars will not take me to my happy places in Baja for quite a while.

ncampion - 6-14-2018 at 10:16 AM

Here is an unfortunate look at the cars of the future. I dare say it will probably come true, exactly when is the question. Glad I won't be part of it as I should be long gone. Trouble is, I like driving a car, I don't want one to drive for me.

Bob Lutz, the future of driving cars

AKgringo - 6-14-2018 at 10:42 AM

My first car was a five year old Pontiac that I bought when I graduated from high school. I paid for it with cash from a part time, minimum wage job that I worked at after school and on Saturdays.

That ain't gonna happen anymore!

TMW - 6-14-2018 at 11:44 AM

Jan, do you have an update on your husband and your car?

mtgoat666 - 6-14-2018 at 05:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
Here is an unfortunate look at the cars of the future. I dare say it will probably come true, exactly when is the question. Glad I won't be part of it as I should be long gone. Trouble is, I like driving a car, I don't want one to drive for me.

Bob Lutz, the future of driving cars

Back in tha day, horse and buggy riders whined and complained about horseless carriages. I am sure there were primitive primates that complained about the guy who discovered how to make fire. And i am equally sure that flat earthers complained (and still complain) about the fact that the world is round!

SFandH - 6-14-2018 at 09:44 PM

Here's why autonomous cars will greatly improve urban traffic flow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHzzSao6ypE

Trying to Respond to All the Concerned Questions

GypsyJan - 6-14-2018 at 10:08 PM

1) He collapsed in a parking lot in San Ysidro somewhere between the Otay crossing and Imperial Beach.

2) He was picked up by AMR, an outsourced ambulance service that doesn't answer the phone or return voiice mail messages.

3) My friends drove me across the border, first to visit him in the hospital, then to search for the car. He was disoriented and gave me three different answers as to where the car is.

4) San Diego PD has not impounded it. I started working the phones, calling all the businesses located on San Ysidro Blvd. Today I called again and the people there said, "Oh yes, we remember your call from before and we searched our parking and talked to all the different shift people. So sorry, no car and no one remembers an ambulance pickup"

To summarize, husband coming home on Saturday. He tried to check himself out yesterday, but collapsed while he was getting dressed in his room. He is not happy to be there and his charge nurse commented to me, "He is difficult, disobedient and stubborn."

[Edited on 6-15-2018 by GypsyJan]

Don't Worry - You'll be Dead.

MrBillM - 6-14-2018 at 10:16 PM

There will be "Dumb Enough" cars to purchase for as long as those here will care.

Regardless of the "eventual" success of autonomous operation, one has to wonder how the progressive mixture will play out.

Having twice rented and experimented with semi-smart Toyotas traveling to El Centro and back, I'm skeptical that an application like their "safe distance" lane-keeping will work out well for many in (especially) urban traffic patterns with angry speeders and tailgaters.

A LOT of heads may be broken making THAT omelette.

As a spectator who isn't likely to be effected, it will all be fun to watch.

Regardless of Smart Car Technology

GypsyJan - 6-14-2018 at 10:28 PM

There will still be plenty of bodies scattered on the roads, clutching their cell phones in their cold dead hands after they walked off a curb or a cliff by the ocean (the Segway inventor, but he drove his Segway off).

Paco Facullo - 6-15-2018 at 07:00 AM

Gypsy,
Do keep checking with the San Ysidro and San Diego Police as eventually it will get towed.

O'l Les musta parked it REAL good.............

John Harper - 6-15-2018 at 08:13 AM

He is not happy to be there and his charge nurse commented to me, "He is difficult, disobedient and stubborn."

I hope your husband makes a full and fast recovery, sounds like it might be time to take the keys and arrange future transportation. A stroke while operating a motor vehicle could affect more than his life.

My dad was "difficult, disobedient, and stubborn" to his nurses ONCE. I read him the riot act and it never happened again. Nurses have enough on their plate without having to deal with bad attitudes. His life is in their hands, something to be appreciated.

John

[Edited on 6-15-2018 by John Harper]

SFandH - 6-15-2018 at 10:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Gypsy,
Do keep checking with the San Ysidro and San Diego Police as eventually it will get towed.

Actually, San Ysidro is part of San Diego. There is not a San Ysidro police department.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Ysidro,_San_Diego

SFandH - 6-15-2018 at 10:51 AM

2) He was picked up by AMR, an outsourced ambulance service that doesn't answer the phone or return voiice mail messages.

Have you tried email?

http://www.amr-sandiego.com/index.php?pid=6

if that doesn't work try corporate headquarters.

https://www.amr.net/contact

Yes, I Have Emailed AMR Ambulance Services

GypsyJan - 6-15-2018 at 01:34 PM

No response.