BajaNomad

Utah Intel Por Favor

StuckSucks - 6-15-2018 at 04:46 PM

Later this summer we will be traveling from I-70 southwest toward I-15, checking out slot canyons, arches and other cool stuff along the way. While tourists are a real evil, I'd like to avoid them as much as possible (I am not afraid of driving dirt roads or using my feet or mountain bike).

Here's a Google Map of proposed locations -- dirt roads are yellow while connecting sections of pavement are red. Click on POIs for possible more info and/or photos. This map is a work in progress.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MAlzQRYPaiTHohTTxVMjul3Phd...

My question: what I am I missing along the way? Are there things on my map which should be lower-priority? Is there a fun, higher-elevation route to take west from roughly Boulder UT? What can I see in Escalante NM before The Administration bulldozes the place?

Thanks for the local intel!

Jim

chuckie - 6-15-2018 at 04:59 PM

That's great country,there.....I cant contribute much detail even tho I have been in there a bunch...I am not much on maps or destinations....Just wandering around semi lost is a Grand experience there....Go be disorganized, you will loveit

mtgoat666 - 6-15-2018 at 05:28 PM

I only did one backpack trip there. Was great! Hiked east along escalante river cyn starting from east side of escalante town, explored tributary cyns along the way. There are probably day hike options, look at the hiking forums.
It is a bit warm for summer hiking, but there is water so no need to carry water.

StuckSucks - 6-15-2018 at 05:34 PM

We did a similar trip maybe 8 years ago, so I know what I'm getting into. Agreed: wandering lost is not a bad thing. I know temps in slot canyons are cooler, but I also need to be mindful of flash floods (Utah flash flood season: July-Sept). I'm hoping this trip will be like the last trip, on steroids.

chuckie - 6-15-2018 at 06:18 PM

Uncampragrey (sp) south of Grand Junction sliding onto Utah is cool...Hole in the Wall up North on the Green offers a lot...Gates of Lodore =amazing...Dang I wish I had paid more attention...No I don't....Did a lot of that country ahorseback....

caj13 - 6-15-2018 at 07:30 PM

I did a big part of my research for my masters up on Boulder Mountain. essentially I camped up there for 2 months for 2 summers in the early 90s. Gret fishing, great mushroom hunting if your into that - hardly ever saw anyone while I was up there. Got pinned down by some pretty good thunder storms as well.

dirt road went right over the top - the whole length.

May have changed alot since then, but back then, when you went up there, you better have all the equipment and supplies you needed!

bajabuddha - 6-15-2018 at 08:53 PM

I spent 30+ years traversing all that country... saw what happened when the usual honyock published a book about it. Please don't publicize it....... enjoy where you go and what you do. You could spend 6 months straight just trying to see about a hunnert square miles of it (as in, 10 mi. x 10 mi.) and still miss stuff. Amazing land, have fun, take notes, go back. Please, KEEP YER MOUTH SHUT..... IT'S BEEN RUINT ENOUGH.

BornFisher - 6-15-2018 at 09:24 PM

Love Green River. Love the melon stands. Love Ray`s Tavern. Love talking to the farmers about their melon patches. Stayed at the motel right on the river last year heading to the eclipse. In the past camped at the city park and a few times stayed there in the cheap motels. Melon days are in Sept I think.
That motel on the river is about $150. Walk across the street to the John Wesley Powell Museum!! Your ticket to the museum is good for several days. You might need them!!
Then there is the geyser south of town and the great camping north on the river. And don`t miss the rock art north of Thomson..

StuckSucks - 6-16-2018 at 10:30 AM

Great suggestions everyone! I'll start adding some of those destinations to my map, which I'll eventually import into the truck's GPS.

StuckSucks - 6-16-2018 at 10:32 AM

And YES to Ray's Tavern for lunch!

SteveWil - 6-16-2018 at 04:46 PM

Here are some threads from the Forest River trailer forum. Looks like you have a good handle on the area already.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f155/utah-the-grand-...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f221/heading-to-utah...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f155/grand-circle-to...

StuckSucks - 6-17-2018 at 02:48 PM

Great information everyone, thanks! Adding more stuff to my map. Here's a few photos from the last time we went thru southern Utah.

StuckSucks - 6-20-2018 at 11:11 AM

Thanks to everyone's intel, I added the Hell's Backbone Rd to our itinerary, plus and we will be staying one night at the Cowpuncher Guard Station, a reservable yurt in the Dixie NF. If it works out OK (which I expect), it might be worth reserving for 4-5 days and use the place as a base-camp to wander, explore.

http://tinyurl.com/y9ypwrru

David K - 6-20-2018 at 11:16 AM

A yurt!

BajaBlanca - 6-20-2018 at 12:33 PM

Your trip sounds amazing. Those photos are amazing. Have fun and share photos afterwards, this is a part of the country I surely might not ever get to.

KurtG - 6-20-2018 at 07:55 PM

We camped at Toroweap for 3 nights a couple of years ago. Spectacular! Also the Nampaweap petroglyph site is worth going to. When we were there we were the only visitors. It is a very nice walk from the parking area to the site which is compact but with some nice glyphs. Lovely area. I think one could spend a lifetime exploring Southern Utah.

David K - 6-21-2018 at 07:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  
We camped at Toroweap for 3 nights a couple of years ago. Spectacular! Also the Nampaweap petroglyph site is worth going to. When we were there we were the only visitors. It is a very nice walk from the parking area to the site which is compact but with some nice glyphs. Lovely area. I think one could spend a lifetime exploring Southern Utah.

Sounds great... but what about safety?
With all the violence you hear about in the United States, is my family safe traveling there? Do the local cops pull you over because you look like a tourist? ;)
[Thanks Kurt for your report]

chuckie - 6-21-2018 at 08:01 AM

Thanks DK...That helped....

David K - 6-21-2018 at 08:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Thanks DK...That helped....

;):light::lol:

StuckSucks - 6-22-2018 at 07:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Sounds great... but what about safety?
With all the violence you hear about in the United States, is my family safe traveling there? Do the local cops pull you over because you look like a tourist? ;)

Brilliant!

motoged - 6-22-2018 at 09:55 AM

Not too brilliant, really....

It happened in Montana:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/border-patrol-agent-detains-women-speaking-spanish-montana-gas-station-n876096

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/border-patrol-stops-two-women-in-montana-for-speaking-spanish-1238506563997

AKgringo - 6-22-2018 at 12:21 PM

But Ged, you get to pass through our country speaking Canadian without so much as an "Eh?".

It's just not fair! :lol: Edited to add a smilie, so I don't seem like such a troll!

[Edited on 6-22-2018 by AKgringo]

motoged - 6-22-2018 at 12:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
But Ged, you get to pass through our country speaking Canadian without so much as an "Eh?".

It's just not fair!

Gary,
Oh, I probably drop a few "eh's" here and there along the way.

It's a fair trade for the "Uh huh..." replies I get stateside to my "Thank You's"....instead of a normal "You are welcome" ...

It's kind of a guttural grunt....

P.S. Say hola to Bailey ;D

wilderone - 7-8-2018 at 08:14 AM

You should be mindful of all the brochures, tourist magazines and free maps that you will find everywhere and be open to changing the itinerary. Don't overlook popular places - they're popular for a reason. E.g., Moqui Cave is an interesting stop. You need a permit for the Wave. Paria Canyon is a great backpack - any overnights, or just day-hiking? I believe you need a permit for Paria now, but epic slots. If your vehicle can take some 4WD type terrain, you should drive to the end of Hole in the Rock Road and do the hike down to Lake Powell. Stop at the Visitor Center near Fruita for Capitol Reef/Waterpocket Fold, San Rafael Swell - a lifetime of hiking trails, canyons, pictographs. Green River is the gateway for river raft trips, or even 1/2 day float - a must-do. You've already seen Bryce NP? This is a huge area, and most summer tourists hit the major Natl Parks and easy access campgrounds. Know the BLM, federal lands where you can boondock (everywhere) to have a place to yourself.