BajaNomad

camping in Baja

excursionclub - 3-7-2005 at 02:41 PM

Hi,

I am wondering about some good spots to camp around Catavina or between ensenada and catavina. Last year I camped right of the main road near catavina in a beautiful desert area. I am looking for something similar and secluded.

David K - 3-7-2005 at 07:41 PM

Agua Dulce is nice and a couple miles off Mex. 1 for safety and peacefulness, see http://vivabaja.com/neal2

Here is sunrise at Agua Dulce:

Catavina camping

thebajarunner - 3-7-2005 at 08:09 PM

I cannot imagine anyplace in Baja that compares to the quality of an evening campout at Catavina.
North of town a couple miles, West of the highway, just get back far enough to not hear the trucks.
As to safety, cannot imagine anyplace being much safer.
The little cafe directly across from the gas pumps is really excellent.
Years ago we came down for a week of "for credit" photography class with UCSC at Catavina. What an awesome week that was!
Our teacher only let us shoot in the first half hour and last half hour of sunlight, rest of time was exploring and relaxing.

Baja Arriba!!

Anybody camp at Ranch Santa Ynez?

neilmac - 3-9-2005 at 09:35 AM

I thnk I'll try'em next trip.. Had a great lunch there, last year.

They also have rooms

Neil

to each his own...

thebajarunner - 3-9-2005 at 11:03 AM

but I cannot imagine camping near the bustle and activity of Rancho Santa Ynez when all of the Catavina desert wilderness beckons.

There are hundreds of square miles of desert solitude, remote and secure, all around the settlement at Santa Ynez, give it a try...

Baja Arriba!!

Pompano - 3-9-2005 at 11:48 AM

We have camped at Rcho Sta. Inez and had it all to ourselves many times..but we definetely prefer the off-road places northe and south of Catavina that are easy to reach and unpopulated. Like this place...north and west of Catavina.

Has some different cactus types....:tumble:

The secret camping place is exposed!

thebajarunner - 3-9-2005 at 05:47 PM

Pomano,
Man, you went a ran a picture of our 'secret place!"
Now we will have to scout out another.
By the way, nice photo of you, looks like you were nude in the photo, shame on you!!!

Baja Arriba!!

pappy - 3-9-2005 at 11:19 PM

a short jaunt west from mex one will find you a great spot to camp, anywhere in that region.just be aware that this time of year it can get pretty cold at night and in the .am. hours(think ice) so be prepared for that.otherwise, it is good to go.have fun!!!!:yes:

Neal Johns - 3-10-2005 at 12:17 AM

El Marmol - poke around the old onyx mine.

One of many campsites along the Baja Road...

Pompano - 3-10-2005 at 05:37 AM

We convoyed to San Diego from Mulege ... only took us 8 days.:)

Just too many great camps..you can't pass them up!

These are a couple..one near Catavina, the other on the coast further north. Been there?

our second camp..the one on Pacific....

Pompano - 3-10-2005 at 05:38 AM

and other times by plane...

Pompano - 3-10-2005 at 05:41 AM

camping in Baja

jim janet - 3-11-2005 at 04:21 PM

Now you have gone and done it to me as well,there are now two less secret spots that the world knows about

May as well make that 3 spots exposed..sigh..

Anonymous - 3-11-2005 at 04:27 PM

Nobody will ever know where this place is, though...nobody.:tumble:

Guadalupe?

fdt - 3-11-2005 at 08:05 PM

It's right before you get to Ca?on de Guadalupe, I think I've been up that hill