BajaNomad

June 2018 Baja Bound Article (Bahía Tortugas and beyond)

David K - 6-22-2018 at 07:24 AM

https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/bahia_to...

One Nomad has told me the 9+ mile unpaved section is now paved. I traveled the road last June.

I also heard from Desert Bull that the high road between San Ignacio Lagoon and San Juanico has been repaired and is now the faster route over the Salina (Low) Road.

TMW - 6-22-2018 at 01:31 PM

The problem with the high road is that there are numerous areas for silt beds between El Cuarenta and the jct with the El Datil road south of the Laguna.

[Edited on 6-22-2018 by TMW]

David K - 6-22-2018 at 03:47 PM

I hear you on that... it was famous for that, but Tim (Desert Bull) is in San Juanico and said it is way way preferred now with new grading. He also mentioned high seasonal tides have swamped the Salina road and forced some out of their shacks in El Datil... It also sounded like the road from La Ballena over to Mulegé via San Miguel and passing the Guadalupe mission road, was being repaired...

Both maps...

David K - 6-24-2018 at 06:56 AM

Two maps cover the entire road mentioned in the article, there was room only for one on edit:

In addition, the two roads to Asunción are mentioned...

thebajarunner - 6-24-2018 at 08:04 AM

We drove up to Bahia Tortugas and beyond a couple weeks ago.
The road is paved right into town, then if you go on to Punta Falsa it is graded dirt. "Just follow the power poles out of town" was the local direction given.
Camping on the bluff beyond Punta Falsa was awesome
Peaceful, great view of Isla Cedros.

David K - 6-24-2018 at 09:04 AM

Yes, I was told they paved the 15 km dirt gap this year. I may update my maps to pave that part!

BajaMama - 6-25-2018 at 08:35 AM

Wow, may have to take an extra day in October... I need to broaden my Baja horizons.