BajaNomad

Flying into Loreto with 6" Sushi kife

Beagle - 6-26-2018 at 06:36 AM

So sometimes I bring stuff down for neighbors. It's the least I can do. They keep an eye on the casa and I also like them. One just emailed be the other day and asked that I bring down a few things (they pay me back in pesos). One is a pretty nice 6" Sushi knife. Should this be an issue going through customs at the Loreto Airport? Is there a way to handle it to minimize complications?

Thank you!

BajaBlanca - 6-26-2018 at 07:00 AM

I would imagine that if you put it in the luggage being checked in, they know that sushi is a part of Mexican culture, and you shouldn't have a problem.

That is my uneducated opinion!

Howard - 6-26-2018 at 07:22 AM

If inspected and they ask about the knife (which is doubtful) I wouldn't even bring up anything about a sushi knife, it's just a knife for fishing. I cant imagine any problems with a fishing knife.

gnukid - 6-26-2018 at 07:34 AM

You can't bring it carry on but you can check it in luggage

DaliDali - 6-26-2018 at 07:36 AM

The local Ferremar in Loreto has a very nice selection of "fish" knives.

From high quality Forschner knives to pieces of junk.

I am not a expert in all manners of slicing off a chunk of sushi and what the exact tools to do that job are required....required caveat.

StuckSucks - 6-26-2018 at 08:01 AM

A few years ago I was flying out of Loreto with a cork-screw bottle opener and that was taken away.

BajaBlanca - 6-26-2018 at 08:47 AM

and it was going into checked luggage?

wilderone - 6-26-2018 at 04:47 PM

"you can check it in luggage"
Si, several times I've packed camping gear with knives flying into Mexico. Once I had a 2" blade pocket knife on my keychain that was confiscated prior to boarding a Mexican plane; it was held for me in a bag that I could claim at baggage check.

LukeJobbins - 6-26-2018 at 05:13 PM

I haven't flown into Mexico with a bigger knife but I cross several times a week in my car with two larger fillet knives(I work on a fishing boat), and anytime an inspection officer sees them I say its for fishing and they have zero problems with them. They are obviously different in looks from a weapon. And unless someone is doing some crazy sushi stuff and wants crazy expensive knives, I recommend forschner which is now labeled as victornox. Inexpensive and amazing quality. Plastic has half tang and rosewood has full tang but sharpness and steel quality is the same.

Beagle - 6-26-2018 at 05:32 PM

OK thanks folks! Of course I'll check it and hope that they don't get too weird about it if they see it. It's a special, particular knife he picked out and sent me a link to. So I ordered it and now just take it down. He also asked me to bring some Chili powder of all things....Haha!

Thanks for everyone's feedback as always!

Timinator - 6-26-2018 at 07:25 PM

I fly with spearfishing gear all over baja, mainland, panama, costa rica, etc. Nobody with bother you with a knife in your checked luggage. Obviously not in your carry on.

Lee - 6-26-2018 at 08:26 PM

Anyone thinking a knife in luggage is OK with MX doesn't know MX. If knife is found in your luggage, it'll most likely be confiscated. Please report the outcome?

Timinator - 6-27-2018 at 06:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Anyone thinking a knife in luggage is OK with MX doesn't know MX. If knife is found in your luggage, it'll most likely be confiscated. Please report the outcome?

I just brought steak knives and butcher knives in my checked luggage to Puerto Escondido on the Mainland to our condo. All my luggage had tags saying it was checked, but nothing was touched or missing.

Alan - 6-27-2018 at 09:32 AM

A simple phone call to your airline as to what is allowable in your checked bag will resolve any questions and be far more accurate than any answer you could hope to find here.

John Harper - 6-27-2018 at 11:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
A few years ago I was flying out of Loreto with a cork-screw bottle opener and that was taken away.

To prevent you from assaulting a wine bottle in flight!

John

BajaMama - 6-27-2018 at 11:27 AM

I always fly with a knife with I travel, but you can't bring it on the plane, you must put it into checked luggage. I flew into Cancun and out of Villahermosa in April, no issues.

Beagle - 6-27-2018 at 04:49 PM

Guys thanks for the help. Just to be clear... The question was
Never, "can someone have knives in their checked baggage on an airline?" or "Can I carry a Knife on a plane?".

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I was sort of rushing to type it out.

The question was about how it might be handled at customs on the Mexico end of things, once I'd gone through the immigration stamping part. I think Lee sorta hit it. Anything can happen at that point. Regardless of what "the law" says, they'll do what ever they feel like. Was just looking to see what other's experiences were with a similar situation. However, I still appreciate that people that reminded me to make sure to check the 6" knife rather than try to board the airline with it in my carry-on. :D