BajaNomad

Chasing Warrior games around Baja

thebajarunner - 6-27-2018 at 10:10 PM

When we planned our annual trip we failed to note the NBA Finals schedule. Being serious Ws fans we had to make lots of adjustments.
Our first night we spent at my brother in law's place in Bonita, so we could made early border crossing. That was the last Houston game, and of course Jose had zero t.v. coverage so we watched on our cell phones.
Finals game 1- After a couple nights in San Pedro Martir and Catavina we headed for LABay and Archelon. Last year I had watched the Daytona 500 with Tonio, so I knew we were set. We made a big dinner for Bety and Antonio Jr and settled in for game 1.
Game 2- Off to San Ignacio, Campo Rene, Punta Falsa and then timing it to hit Guerrero Negro before game time. Up and down main street interviewing motels as to their t.v. coverage. The nicer places had nada, but the seedy place across from Cowboy was right on it, so we settled in for another great victory.
Game 3 got complicated. Heading home soon, we had planned to camp at Sordo Mudo in Guadalupe, but of course there is no t.v. down in the camp so my compadre, Baja Vida, went on line and found us a cheap house rental on Air bnB close to Porvenir....with Sky t.v. no less.
Nice flat screen t.v., it don't get no better.
Game 4 win was wonderful, but sort of an afterthought cuz now we were back in good old Central California and watching it on the home screen.
As they say, "where there is a will..... " you know the rest.

My first Warrior game in person was at USF and featured Wilt and Big Bill Russell..... I go way back. Had season tix ffor 15 years when they were terrible. The seats I gave up go for up to $2500 each per game these days.

David K - 6-28-2018 at 06:58 AM

Wow, that is quite a story! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

thebajarunner - 6-28-2018 at 08:39 PM

My traveling compadre, Baja Vida, was raised in Torrance and is a life long Laker fan. Couple years ago he asked if he could start rooting for the Ws.
We had a purging ceremony, burned his t shirts and hats that had the dreaded "L" and made him swear to never ever again root for the despicable Lakers. He agreed.
Thus, a new Warrior fan was born

Alas he still roots for the Dodgers, so he is only partially redeemed.

Los Laguneros y Los Doyers

BajaVida - 6-29-2018 at 02:48 PM

I did not burn any "L" clothing. The L's lost me when they dumped Shaq to keep someone else happy. If they sign LJ, I will be driven further from the "Ls".

Que vivan Jackie Robinson y Fernando Valenzuela!

I do not see Los Gigantes in my future.

elgatoloco - 6-29-2018 at 05:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaVida  
I did not burn any "L" clothing. The L's lost me when they dumped Shaq to keep someone else happy. If they sign LJ, I will be driven further from the "Ls".

Good to hear.
runner never lets that facts get in the way of a good story, eh? :lol::saint:

I was in France for the finals this year and did not care. :P

Go Lakers! Go Dodgers! Go Rams! :biggrin:

AKgringo - 6-29-2018 at 05:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  

Where do you want them to go?

Still holding a grudge?

thebajarunner - 6-30-2018 at 08:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaVida  

Good to hear.
runner never lets that facts get in the way of a good story, eh? :lol::saint:

I was in France for the finals this year and did not care. :P

C'mon Matt
Just because I launched a few rockets at your camp at Gringa
That was years ago.
Now, be nice because we have invested in some new NoKorean guidance systems and next time won't be just a warning.
A few less Dodger fans won't be missed...:lol::lol:

David K - 6-30-2018 at 08:27 AM

Oh man, did Matt and Barb have to endure your 'wild boys' craziness?