BajaNomad

Any early election info??

thebajarunner - 7-1-2018 at 05:50 PM

Networks here are all talking about AMLO
but only background and some video of polling stations

del mar - 7-1-2018 at 06:10 PM

I just had a discussion with a neighbor about how common it is to sell your vote, community's selling blocks of votes to enable service and infrastructure improvements. AMLO on a platform of corruption reform, meet the new boss,same as the old boss?

shari - 7-1-2018 at 06:29 PM

I know of the other parties giving 500-2,000 pesos per vote but not AMLO. I just saw a new story about a bomb found in their headquarters but who knows with all the fake news....and some voting stations that ran out of ballots supposedly because they were marking them and stuffing them in the box but again...all rumours. If AMLO loses there will be big trouble I bet with lots of cries of fraud.

Our polling station here was busy all day and the boxes were chocked full up....great turnnout!

del mar - 7-1-2018 at 06:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
I know of the other parties giving 500-2,000 pesos per vote but not AMLO. I just saw a new story about a bomb found in their headquarters but who knows with all the fake news....and some voting stations that ran out of ballots supposedly because they were marking them and stuffing them in the box but again...all rumours. If AMLO loses there will be big trouble I bet with lots of cries of fraud.

Our polling station here was busy all day and the boxes were chocked full up....great turnnout!

500-2000 pesos!:o...my friend was happy to get ten bucks!

BornFisher - 7-1-2018 at 07:33 PM

I say to the Mexican people---- RESIST!!!! Yes resist to the will of the Mexican people!! I mean if your side losses, there is only one way!! Resistance mixed with violence is the way!! Just look north for your example.

Which is BETTER ? A Win or Loss ?

MrBillM - 7-1-2018 at 07:52 PM

Entertainment-wise ?

The BEST result will be the one that brings the most exciting coverage AND (probably) the greatest battling between the two governments.

On the latter note, it seems that AMLO V. TRUMP would be a championship bout.

Day after day, week after week ............................

But, given the inevitable corruption and backdoor dealing, Quien Sabe ?

thebajarunner - 7-1-2018 at 08:17 PM

New York Times just called it

God help Mexico

thebajarunner - 7-1-2018 at 08:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

God help Mexico
So which candidate you think would have been better for the Mexican people?

Reminded me of our last election
Two worst candidates ever presented
Lose. Lose

BajaTed - 7-1-2018 at 08:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

God help Mexico
So which candidate you think would have been better for the Mexican people?

The one who will get more than a sixth grade education as the norm.

AMLO Entertainment

MrBillM - 7-1-2018 at 09:24 PM

It should be a BLAST !

bajabuddha - 7-1-2018 at 09:27 PM

"Congratulations to Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador on becoming the next President of Mexico. I look very much forward to working with him. There is much to be done that will benefit both the United States and Mexico!"
~ tweet from BLOATUS tonight.

SURE it'll benefit both...... a leftist and ... you know... rotsa ruck. I'm sure AMLO will be his new BFF, next to Uncle Vlad.

Adios AMLO ?

MrBillM - 7-2-2018 at 12:48 PM

Probably not.

Another assassination (at the top) "might" stir things up too much.

Still, it IS Mexico and one can never dismiss their enthusiasm for such simple and direct solutions.

BTW, in what might qualify for the 2018 news media understatement award, midday yesterday the CNN political reporter onsite in Mexico City noted that AMLO was considered the "slightly left-leaning candidate ."

SFandH - 7-2-2018 at 12:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
Probably not.

Another assassination (at the top) "might" stir things up too much.

Still, it IS Mexico and one can never dismiss their enthusiasm for such simple and direct solutions.

BTW, in what might qualify for the 2018 news media understatement award, midday yesterday the CNN political reporter onsite in Mexico City noted that AMLO was considered the "slightly left-leaning candidate ."

Well, he is a bit to the left on the political spectrum.

Does anybody here listen to FOX cable news?

I bet they're saying AMLO is Mexico's Hugo Chavez incarnate.

[Edited on 7-2-2018 by SFandH]

SFandH - 7-2-2018 at 05:00 PM

Here's a report:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iph_x--aeFI

tiotomasbcs - 7-2-2018 at 05:14 PM

Thanks for the link...SF..who's H???

JoeJustJoe - 7-2-2018 at 05:39 PM

Thank God, that Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, a semi-leftist politician won!

I'm just shocked that his Presidency wasn't stolen from him like in 2006, when the multinationals feared him the most, and the US interfered with that election, like the Russians, interfered with the US election.

I got sick and tired of seeing Pan, the Catholic and right-wing party, or the old and corrupt PRI, party win these elections all the time. It's about time for something new!

Having AMLO, win would be like Bernie Sanders, winning in the US, which also would have been a wonderful thing in the US.

I expect great things from AMLO, but he has a tough road ahead of him, and he made a lot of campaign promises, that are easier said than done.

And you just know this guy won't back down to Trump.

bajabuddha - 7-2-2018 at 09:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  

Handsome.

You really think Bernie S would be effective? You are a bit off the orb

thebajarunner - 7-2-2018 at 10:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

I'm just shocked that his Presidency wasn't stolen from him like in 2006, when the multinationals feared him the most, and the US interfered with that election, like the Russians, interfered with the US election.

I got sick and tired of seeing Pan, the Catholic and right-wing party, or the old and corrupt PRI, party win these elections all the time. It's about time for something new!

Having AMLO, win would be like Bernie Sanders, winning in the US, which also would have been a wonderful thing in the US.

I expect great things from AMLO, but he has a tough road ahead of him, and he made a lot of campaign promises, that are easier said than done.

Bernie was fun to watch and listen to
But his ideas would bankrupt the country in a year
What a guy
Free lunch for all, and let's destroy the establishment
Did you ever read the fable of the "Golden Goose"
Bernie's tribe would have that goose fileted and fried in no time
Then no more production and no more gold

DaliDali - 7-3-2018 at 06:04 AM

A "semi-leftist".......a brown skinned Roman Catholic man.

"López Obrador has publicly denied being a Protestant and, in a television interview, he called himself a Roman Catholic"

A populist...putting Mexico first......rooting out corruption, working for the working man, promoting job growth, wages....and wanting fair trade with other countries.....

'In June 2018, during a presidential debate, he argued that if there is a failure in the NAFTA renegotiation, the domestic economy must be strengthened, arguing, "[it] cannot be fatal for Mexicans, our country has a lot of natural resources, a lot of wealth'

Has a cult like following.......almost "religious" in fervor and devotion.
Wants to "broker" a deal with his US counterpart in the US to stem the tide of illegal immigration with jobs in Mexico.

Sounds strikingly similar to his counterpart up north.

And even the "victim" of political shenanigans that saw determined and concerted efforts to keep him off of previous ballots by his political adversaries........HRC part deux.

I wish him well, not for him specifically......but the people of Mexico.

mtgoat666 - 7-3-2018 at 06:35 AM

What a guy

Bernie would have been better than trump. Trump looks down on Mexicans and Latin Americans, but he governs in their mold: he practices nepotism, his staff are crooks (see Scott Pruitt)
But I wonder if any president of any country has lied as often as trump?
Hard to top trump when it comes to telling lies! :lol::lol:

Bernie and AMLO

thebajarunner - 7-3-2018 at 07:16 AM

Let's see:
Free tuition > check
Double pensions for all> check
Stop corruption> check
Halt the violence> check

Those should all be pretty easy.....

The one proposal that makes sense???
Privatize Pemex..... OOOOPS - too late, the reserves have been mismanaged to the point of serious depletion

Let's just knock all the business men and their nasty profit making machines to their knees, then the poor can run the country.

Trump is despicable, no doubt about it,
But he has two great accomplishments
1. Saved us from Hillary
2. Gorsuch with another good one to follow

DaliDali - 7-3-2018 at 07:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

What a guy

Bernie would have been better than trump. Trump looks down on Mexicans and Latin Americans, but he governs in their mold: he practices nepotism, his staff are crooks (see Scott Pruitt)
But I wonder if any president of any country has lied as often as trump?
Hard to top trump when it comes to telling lies! :lol::lol:

Lies and fables.......often similar to bragging or
brag
bluster, harangue, puff
pride
gush
exult, glory, rejoice
brandish, display, exhibit, expose, flaunt, glorify, parade, show off
magnify, maximize

For the definitive lie compilation.....
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/06/23/opinion/trump...

Not ONE has caused grave harm to anyone, save for a few bruised egos.

Now contrast this with the lie that DID cause harm to millions of people, harm to the entire country and was the proximate cause of years of lingering high unemployment, wage stagnation and snail GDP growth.

The lie that was acknowledged as a sham and all due to the stupidity of the American people, by it's very creator no less.

"braggadocio" or an outright lie......"Your premiums will go down by $2500 a year"

Make the call....

JoeJustJoe - 7-3-2018 at 08:30 AM

You really think Bernie S would be effective? You are a bit off the orb

What a guy

With the GOP controlling both the Senate and House, I think Bernie would have been stonewalled like Obama was during his eight years in office, but I still think Bernie, would have got a few things done, like US student loans, that are killing us. I have a Parent loan, that will probably go on for twenty years after my death! So do my kids, and millions of other Americans have those steep student loans, that really aren't low interest.

I didn't vote for Bernie, because I am a moderate democrat, and instead voted for Hillary, as being a more pragmatic choice, and Bernie, turned me off when I heard him sound like a GOP candidate and taking Israel's side against the Palestinians, while the liberal crown was yelling at Bernie.

However, in hindsight, Bernie, would have been a much better candidate to vote for, and for sure a better President, than what he have in the White House now, who gives tax cuts to the super rich, and a diet of fear mongering, and racial hatred against dark-skinned minorities for the non rich GOP voters.

Bajarunner, we could easily pay for any of Bernie's liberal programs, by cutting back the spending on pro war offensive programs in the US, and other foreign nations like Israel, that go into the billions, so we could provide kick backs to defensive corporations in the US.

So yes we could have a free lunch, if we stop our war mongering ways. Look at the 60's with Johnson, and his Great Society plan. The Vietnam war, really cut into those plans.

Mexico, is not war crazy, and they don't spend half their budget attacking other smaller nations like the US. Mexico, has oil revenue that it uses to help support the people, instead of the fat cat CEOs, and investors.( this is why AMLO is not going to allow foreigners to get it's hands on Mexico oil)

So I think López Obrador, has a real chance to get some of campaign promises, passed in Mexico Congress, which isn't as resistant as the US Senate and Congress.

López Obrador, wants to go after corruption, and that's a great starting point.

del mar - 7-3-2018 at 10:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  

Handsome.

here I thought it was Souther, Furay, and Hillman!;)

Paco Facullo - 7-3-2018 at 10:34 AM

You guys crack me up ! As if there is anything you, I or anyone else can do about politics ..

This is what I voted for and wore the shirt proudly !!!!

https://www.headlineshirts.net/im-voting-for-tacos-t-shirt.h...

SFandH - 7-3-2018 at 10:36 AM

Sander's prime issues, and in my opinion rightly so, are income disparity and the shrinking middle class because of the redistribution of wealth from the lower and middle-income earners to the wealthy.

On the other hand, Trump's actions have worsened the situation, regardless of what he says.

For example, the massive corporate tax break championed by Trump has only made the rich, richer. If you read the financial news you would know that the corporate tax savings are not going into capital investments, employee hiring, or increased wages. Corporations are using the tax savings to do stock buybacks and increase dividends, significantly enriching the largest shareholders.

Companies are on track to plow a record $1 trillion into boosting dividends and buying back their own stock this year, says Howard Silverblatt, senior index analyst S&P Dow Jones Indices.

http://time.com/money/5267940/companies-spending-trump-tax-c...

Keeping on topic, AMLO, being on the political left is unlikely to take such make the rich, richer actions.

[Edited on 7-3-2018 by SFandH]

JoeJustJoe - 7-3-2018 at 10:53 AM

Now I know López Obrador, was the right choice for Mexico.

I think even my conservative friends would call Dick Morris, a sleazeball.

I expected more of this type of talk from the corporate backed media, but so far up to the election, the AMLO, bashing has been pretty tame, although news outlets like the "Wall Street Journal" has tried to paint AMLO as the second coming of Hugo Chavez, and a big fan of late Castro, in Cuba.

willardguy - 7-3-2018 at 05:05 PM

you boys were getting so wound up doug had to pull the plug for awhile!:lol: