BajaNomad

BIG swell hits Bahia Asuncion overnight...pangas destroyed.

shari - 7-4-2018 at 03:10 PM

I got waken up before sunrise to go down to the fishing cooperatives boat launch area with my camera. Before coffee....really?

Stunned fishermen lined the cliff watching their boats being destroyed and others being rescued. I was shocked to see enormous waves snapping boats off moorings, flipping them over and sinking them. There were 8 pangas in various states of ruin that made me sick to my stomach to see.

Luckily Juan convinced his brother to beach both their pangas in the protected from the south cove by our place...and it was these pangas that were used to rescue the pangas anchored further out that were still on their moorings.

This panga was hauled up the cliff with the crane.

Yesterday was a beautiful calm day so the coop thought the swell wasnt coming and even scheduled abalone fishing this morning. I just couldnt believe they didnt beach the boats last night as weather sites said it was going to build fast overnight...and it did.

It is a bad loss for the coop that is already foundering as it is. Hopefully the insurance will cover it and so glad nobody was injured that I know of.

I wouldnt want to be the person who made that decision not to beach the fleet.

a few hours later a couple locals surfed the spot....one took off a wave and I thought was going to get snagged on a hookah air hose in the water.

chippy - 7-4-2018 at 03:22 PM

Damn! Thats hard to look at. I hope the coop/gov can give them cheap loans on pangas and motors like they do down here.

woody with a view - 7-4-2018 at 03:34 PM

Someone should be fired! Maybe demoted to master baiter would be sufficient? Unnacceptable decision, it wasn’t going to get big? Bruto!

BornFisher - 7-4-2018 at 03:45 PM

Dang, that`s crazy! Very sorry for the fishermen and community.

Paco Facullo - 7-4-2018 at 04:14 PM

Juan is one smart cookie........

Sorry to hear of all the losses though ....:(

Alm - 7-4-2018 at 05:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Someone should be fired!

Or - hired. Like a school teacher. Weather and hurricane watch sites have been fairly accurate lately. Probably the remnants of Fabio.

BajaTed - 7-4-2018 at 08:30 PM

Heading to San O tomorrow:bounce:
BTW Shari, nice letter about your place in the July letter section of Latitude 38

motoged - 7-5-2018 at 01:28 AM

That's tragic....hard times are hard enough...:(:

rts551 - 7-5-2018 at 08:19 AM

saw more pictures on facebook. All the boats here were pulled up because of the forecast for a 10 foot swell.

elgatoloco - 7-5-2018 at 09:35 AM

that sucks

BajaBlanca - 7-5-2018 at 10:44 AM

oh Shari....awful to see....I now understand the seriousness of really paying attention to the weather report. I am so sorry.

shari - 7-7-2018 at 09:12 AM

the fiberglass workers at the coop are working hard to get the pangas repaired....motors are being washed out in hopes of getting them working and divers still cant dive to try to recover the outboards on the ocean bottom in the anchorage as the visibility sucks.

local surfers enjoyed riding waves on the town beach.

[Edited on 7-7-2018 by shari]

DeMinimis - 7-9-2018 at 09:56 AM

Thanks for posting Shari.