BajaNomad

Mucho mas electricity coming to BCS

SFandH - 7-5-2018 at 01:12 PM

CFE is going to connect BCS to the national power grid with an undersea cable. The separate oil-fired power stations currently used are reaching capacity. More juice, more development. Scheduled completion 2021.

http://obrasweb.mx/construccion/2018/01/31/8-nuevos-proyecto...

elgatoloco - 7-5-2018 at 01:43 PM

Power to the people :saint:

bajabuddha - 7-5-2018 at 02:27 PM

Scheduled completion date in Mexico/Baja? :o Really?? :lol:

David K - 7-5-2018 at 02:39 PM

I think it was 4x4abc who posted the map of the new power line and the gulf crossing. Basically, Santa Rosalia to near El Barril/Pta San Francisquito. There the current is changed (AC/DC) for the underwater run. Of course, it is coming the other direction, from Sonora across to Baja.

Russ - 7-5-2018 at 02:52 PM

What ever happened to all the thermo energy?

SFandH - 7-5-2018 at 03:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  
What ever happened to all the thermo energy?

If they build a geothermal plant, couldn't they just connect it to the grid to contribute to the base load?

David K - 7-5-2018 at 03:34 PM

Geothermal, like solar, is just a tiny amount of power needed, renewable but tiny. The geothermal plant is just northwest of Santa Rosalia at the volcano complex.

Archie - 7-5-2018 at 03:55 PM

Sounds good, but that's not the whole story.

They planned to bring the cable all the way up to El Barril because thats where Grupo Mexico, the infamous mining company, needs it to feed their operation once they got El Arco running.

They chose that particular area because it falls out of the limits of the Valle de los Cirios Natural Protected Area and its closer to the mining grounds.

4x4abc - 7-5-2018 at 04:11 PM

bajabuddha - 7-5-2018 at 04:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Geothermal, like solar, is just a tiny amount of power needed, renewable but tiny....

Here we go again. Any beautiful clean COAL in Baja? It'll survive a bomb, right? (google Centralia, PA). Aw, shucks, thot not. :lol:

David K - 7-5-2018 at 04:20 PM

??? The question was on geothermal availability. What does U.S. coal have to do with anything?

bajabuddha - 7-5-2018 at 04:42 PM

Just appreciating your mindset, DK. Sorta. You put out the bait, just anticipating the coming.... whatever. :P

4x4abc - 7-5-2018 at 07:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

If they build a geothermal plant, couldn't they just connect it to the grid to contribute to the base load?

It is connected to the grid

ehall - 7-5-2018 at 07:49 PM

Is there already a power plant at Zapata?

4x4abc - 7-5-2018 at 07:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Geothermal, like solar, is just a tiny amount of power needed, renewable but tiny. The geothermal plant is just northwest of Santa Rosalia at the volcano complex.

Solar is minimal at the moment - but it could be expanded to any size Mexico wanted. However, Oil, coal and gas plants are still cheaper to build. So, CFE would rather poison thousands in La Paz than building something clean. As always, this kinda stuff needs a political decision. Money from the government. Private investors care even less about the consumers. They just walked away from a megawatt solar facility in La Paz.
Now explain it away David.

David K - 7-5-2018 at 08:07 PM

Explain what? You nailed it.

BajaTed - 7-5-2018 at 08:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

Long distance transmission lines in the states are 500Kv.:?:
270Kv, 71Kv then 12Kv is the distribution voltages in urban and industrial regions.

Could be more efficient

4x4abc - 7-5-2018 at 08:30 PM

the solar plant Aura in La Paz was destroyed by hurricane Odile in 2014. Initially financed with money from the World Bank and some private funds, the investors walked away after the damage. They did not want to put in more of their own money.
Now the plant has new owners and is brought back slowly. Interesting is that the plant is now called Tesla/Aura Solar I.

The first version was sun tracking - now the panels are fixed to make them stronger against hurricanes.

chumlee57 - 7-5-2018 at 09:13 PM

hummm, lotta people are already invested in there own solar epicenter's, as in, they don't really need or want the power. i personally think it's a great infrastructure improvement. Not really up to speed with the conventional hatred for typical improvements to 3rd world ( gasoline generatared electricity ) areas. Thinking these improvements are to be embraced as progressive intelligence, in the correct direction. Let's face it, basic technology, lighting, heat, communications has been not only life saving, but opened doors to a world view ( which is a great thing and inevitable ) I would suggest that exceptance of all forms of technology should be considered for the good of the majority. Options, regardless of what they are, create diversified and new thought process, have a little faith in the intelligence of your fellow man, somewhere there is a 5 year old that will discover the technology we need for the future, until then, don't restrict someone else's life improvement

TMW - 7-6-2018 at 12:29 PM

Even with solar and wind for electric power you still need gas, coal, thermo or nuclear powered plants as backup in a standby mode.

SFandH - 7-6-2018 at 01:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Even with solar and wind for electric power you still need gas, coal, thermo or nuclear powered plants as backup in a standby mode.

Yeah, especially at night when there's no wind!! :D

I think all of BCS is diesel motor generators now, except for the small amount of solar and geothermal. Don't really know. Anybody?

The only water/steam/turbine system I know of on the peninsula is the oil burner in Rosarito Beach.

[Edited on 7-6-2018 by SFandH]

Meany - 7-6-2018 at 05:02 PM

Maybe they will run it by Russ's Casa. He could run his air all the time.:bounce:

4x4abc - 7-6-2018 at 05:19 PM

production in L aPaz is mainly heavy oil (extremely toxic exhaust) and one older small liquid gas.
The solar production in La Paz covers 100% of the power need in La Paz. Why are we still expanding the heavy oil facility? Because of the tourist boom in Los Cabos.
La Paz enjoys the highest mortality rate in Mexico for respiratory illnesses so investors can build more hotels in Los Cabos.

Best selling item in La Paz farmacias - inhalers.

SFandH - 7-6-2018 at 06:00 PM

Isn't connecting BCS to the mainland grid eliminating the need to build more generating facilities in BCS?

Alm - 7-6-2018 at 06:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

I know many homes where a small solar is supplemental to grid power, not the other way around. Was the main source of power before the grid has become available, and then became a back-up. Runs quietly in the background, contributing a few pennies (i.e. small and not grid-tied).

Have a feeling that nuclear or coal is not a good choice for back-up, being not quite a flip-switch thing. IIRC, Chernobyl nuclear station disaster was caused by deploying it too fast after scheduled maintenance, - in 24 hours instead of 48 or something. Communist Party leaders ordered full power by the 1st of May - local equivalent of the 4th of July.

Wouldn't be surprised if coal plant also needed some hours to kick in.

Solar is instantly On. At least, in daytime :)...

Alm - 7-6-2018 at 06:26 PM

Isn't connecting BCS to the mainland grid eliminating the need to build more generating facilities in BCS?

It will result in building more hotels yet. With paper-thin insulation, $$$ hotel rooms paying for electricity, what else is new...

TMW - 7-6-2018 at 07:36 PM

I think natural gas would be the best backup power, much cleaner than coal or diesel. I don't know what Mexico has for natural gas but the US has lots of it. How hard is it to convert a coal plant to natural gas?

I grew up in a town that everything was coal for heating homes to factories. The air was crap. Now everything there was converted to natural gas and the air quality is much better. Here in Bako most of the schools from grade thru college have large solar systems installed as well as many medical facilities. Starting in 2020 (I think that's the year) all new homes in CA must have solar.

SFandH - 7-6-2018 at 08:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

It will result in building more hotels yet. With paper-thin insulation, $$$ hotel rooms paying for electricity, what else is new...

I'm worried that my favorite winter spot, Bahia Concepcion, will see more residential and commercial development once wires are strung between Mulege and Loreto. With the juice, they'll be able to pump water in too. Arrrg, Santispac timeshares, ATV rentals, OXXOs everywhere. We're doomed!!!!

[Edited on 7-7-2018 by SFandH]

chumlee57 - 7-6-2018 at 09:28 PM

wow, true colors.. i would suggest u think outside the box, as in, the improvements will benefit thousands. no worries about baja, more than not, most people are afraid of mexico, due to a number of insecure and in some cases justified reasons. We should all be bright enough to promote baja as we know it, by the same token, call out its deficiancies when applicable. anyone who thinks baja will be overrun by the ugly american, especially in our lifetime is not only paranoid, but prolly drinking too much. The basic patience and acceptance of life is a great thing, embrace change as your progression to a better life for your unborn grandchildren...

David K - 7-7-2018 at 12:20 AM

The future is happening, first, they pave a road... then another... and people want 24-hour power (and the companies want to sell them 24-hour power, too)! Someday, Baja and Alta will look more the same, than they will different... Only that Baja has the boojum trees (except for the growing forest of them by Condor Ridge at the Safari Park near Escondido)!

Alm - 7-7-2018 at 10:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chumlee57  
anyone who thinks baja will be overrun by the ugly american, especially in our lifetime ...

Uncontrolled development, sewage issues, and dirty power plants are mostly Mexican.

monoloco - 7-8-2018 at 12:10 PM

I wonder how long it will take some enterprising chukero to steal that cable and sells it for scrap?

pauldavidmena - 7-18-2018 at 08:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
I wonder how long it will take some enterprising chukero to steal that cable and sells it for scrap?

If they wait until the lines are strung up, they could be in for the shock of their lives! A few years back, when copper prices were surging, some rogue phone workers began stealing wire "in their spare time". Since much of this "work" was done at night, occasionally one would touch the wrong wire...

EdZeranski - 7-18-2018 at 10:46 PM

Remember the marvelous oh so wonderful wind energy , like the rusted hulk in Guerrero Negro??? The 'new energy' stuff makes some folks feel good about themselves but....ya gotta wait for the technology to be mature.

caj13 - 7-19-2018 at 06:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by EdZeranski  
Remember the marvelous oh so wonderful wind energy , like the rusted hulk in Guerrero Negro??? The 'new energy' stuff makes some folks feel good about themselves but....ya gotta wait for the technology to be mature.

wind power generates enough electricity for 2 million homes in California. its the 4th largest source, ahead of solar as of 2016.

Yup, those 2 million homes feel good about themselves!

rts551 - 7-19-2018 at 07:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by EdZeranski  

The wind generator test was deemed a success. Like a lot of other projects, Mexico had no money to expand it, nor the resources to maintain the test site.

Nothing to do with maturing technology unless you are waiting for things to take care of themselves.

rts551 - 7-19-2018 at 07:28 AM

The Cerro Prieto Geothermal Power Station south of Mexicali is the third largest in the world, supplying much electricity to N]Baja California and connected to the Southern California grid. Mexico would go a long way by connecting these plants to their own national grid.

Udo - 7-19-2018 at 08:07 AM

More than electricity, they need water.