BajaNomad

A surprise birthday party for Me!

BajaBlanca - 7-8-2018 at 11:24 AM

On my birthday last 29th June, I invited some friends from Abreojos to come but they were going to be out of town. Xochi asked if I could come over a week later - the next Friday - to have some fish with them. I accepted and Les wasn't up to going, so I went on my own.

As I was driving up to their house, I saw one of the scholarship students, greeted him from the car and said: I am on the way to Xochi's house, have a good day.

Only to find out he was at her house and it was a surprise birthday party for me, put on by the Abreojos scholarship students and their families.

I was so surprised and honored and had a blast sharing an afternoon with them!

Lunch was chips and guacamole, then fish and salads. It was really delicious.

9.jpg - 215kB

They wanted to mash my face in the cake but since I had to drive back 30 min. to get home, I begged off!

cake 1.jpg - 61kB

This is Yoya, Clarissa's mom. Clarissa is the one who graduated last Feb. as a marine biologist and is just about finishing her senior thesis (In Mexico, the last semester is spent doing a thesis).

It was so nice that she came and participated. Each parent contributed something and she brought a chocolate pie.

She and the others gave me so many gifts ...

Yoya present.jpg - 45kB

Yoya present 2.jpg - 51kB

It was a wonderful afternoon! To top it off, Alen showed me his grades and the lowest was 88, most of them in the 90's and 100% in English!!!

I asked everyone to clap for him! He has one year to go and is already networking with a cousin who is going to help him get into his company. Looks like I got the GET A JOB part right when I mentored them. Another kid (Ramiro) has asked if he can transfer to Ensenada so he can intern at a company there. Yeah, this is the part that makes this ladies heart positively soar.

Great day for me all around!

Here is a shot of the gifts:

rsz_gifts.jpg - 152kB

Thank you all for backing me up with this dream. It could not have been done without the kind words, kind donations! I am grateful. Very grateful.

tiotomasbcs - 7-8-2018 at 12:04 PM

Congratulations and Happy Birthday, Blanca. Teachers true rewards are seeing their students achieve! Felicidades, Maestra.

David K - 7-8-2018 at 01:05 PM

Great surprise:bounce:!

TMW - 7-8-2018 at 03:00 PM

Good for you Blanca and for them to surprise you.Let the good times roll.

CaboMagic - 7-8-2018 at 03:44 PM

What a wonderful post Blanca!
Your presence is a gift to everyone amiga …
Glad you were celebrated coz u so deserve it!

Happy Bday from All.jpg - 120kB

KurtG - 7-8-2018 at 04:38 PM

How cool!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
Kurt and Kathy

Happy delayed Birthday BajaBlanca

Hubschraubear - 7-8-2018 at 04:47 PM

Happy delayed birthday Blanca - we did not know about your b.-d. as we basically do not know you (same as all the others donors and supporters here on Baja Nomads) despite you being a driving force in supporting us.
Sending you best wishes - Maria & E.T.
~
The great thing about getting older is
that you don't lose all the other ages
you've been.
~ Madeleine L'Engle

[Edited on 7-10-2018 by BajaNomad]

basautter - 7-8-2018 at 04:56 PM

Happy Birthday from Tucson! You are doing great things for Baja! :bounce::bounce:

carlosg - 7-8-2018 at 05:06 PM

FELIZ CUMPLEAÑOS SEÑORA PROFESORA BLANCA...

Even though, we as so many more BajaNomads have never met you, we wish ALL the BEST for you and your community...

MUCHOS MAS DIAS DE ESTOS... :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: ...!!!

Paco Facullo - 7-8-2018 at 08:41 PM

The story sounds kinda fishy to me , at least the dinner was. Ha Ha.

It's always SO NICE to hear good things and this was super special !
A really great birthday ......

Wish I could have been there to give a BIG hug.....

Happy Birthday Bianca !!!!!!

BajaBlanca - 7-9-2018 at 10:53 AM

Thanks everyone, it really was so fun! I want to do a get together here in La Bocana with them and their kids towards the end of the month.

Two of the Abre kids weren't there since Xochi didn't realize they were part of the Beca Blanca group.

I hope that one day all of you make a trip to visit us here in our neck of the woods!!

Thanks again. Now if only Brazil had won that day hahahahahahaha

bryanmckenzie - 7-9-2018 at 12:35 PM

Way to go, Blanca! Awesome. Thanks for posting this birthday story. And Happy B-DAY to you!

BajaBlanca - 7-9-2018 at 09:41 PM

Les looks like he is napping in the picture! We both have our marineros local baseball team shirts on - when we wear them in the US, folks ask if we are Mariners fans.

Thanks for the bday wish!