BajaNomad

OSPREY

Udo - 7-13-2018 at 10:03 AM

One of our dearest friends on the board and one whose writing have been admired by many of us for as long as I have been a BN member and well beyond those years, is currently going through some very rough times with his health.

Ever since his sweetheart, Lynda, passed away a few months ago his health has been deteriorating. He is currently ambulatory, but has lost a considerable amount of weight. He looks like what I did when I spent over a year in the US hospital when I had a blood clot lodge in my small intestine.

George is going to need all of our prayers!

I'll do my best to keep all BN members informed.

:no::no::no:

ELINVESTIG8R - 7-13-2018 at 10:31 AM

GOD LOVES YOU OSPREY. I AM PRAYING FOR YOUR RECOVERY. KEEP WRITING YOUR STORIES AND POST THEM HERE. I ALWAYS LIKED READING THEM. TAKE MY LIFE STORY AND PLAY AROUND WITH IT AND MAKE IT FLOW BETTER IF YOU WANT TO. I SURE WOULD APPRECIATE IT. TAKE CARE BROTHER OSPREY.

David M.ARSTON

[Edited on 7-14-2018 by ELINVESTIG8R]

SFandH - 7-13-2018 at 11:14 AM

Hope OSPREY pulls through.

Udo - 7-13-2018 at 11:30 AM

Thanks shortie!!

David K - 7-13-2018 at 11:35 AM

I had the opportunity to meet Osprey ('Jorge') and Lynda last year and they were so very kind and hospitable. Osprey was one of the Nomad authors to review my book for the back cover but he had not seen an actual copy of the book until I delivered him one last summer. I hope he can regain some weight and energy as he has much to share about his love of Baja and the region around his home in East Cape.

Here is his most recent post on Nomad, reflecting his love of community: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=90172

DanO - 7-13-2018 at 12:15 PM

Thanks Udo for the report. My best wishes to George for a full and speedy recovery. He is a unique and wonderfully expressive writer and I have long enjoyed his work.

Natalie Ann - 7-13-2018 at 01:27 PM

For my friend Osprey....
All kinds of prayers, amigo.

Nena

shari - 7-13-2018 at 02:36 PM

I have always admired how Osprey understood, accepted & integrated into the Mexican culture which very much added spice to his musings. Osprey...I am sending some positive vibes to you from over here on the other side...animo!

fishbuck - 7-13-2018 at 03:18 PM

Prayers and healing sent to OSPREY.

Skipjack Joe - 7-13-2018 at 03:46 PM

Thank you for posting this Udo. I had wondered why Osprey hasn't been posting for quite some time. It's really sad to read this. It's not clear what is wrong with him but I hope he pulls through and ones out as good as before. Is he getting care in the States?

pauldavidmena - 7-13-2018 at 04:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Thank you for posting this Udo. I had wondered why Osprey hasn't been posting for quite some time. It's really sad to read this. It's not clear what is wrong with him but I hope he pulls through and ones out as good as before. Is he getting care in the States?

I exchanged emails with George earlier this week. His mind remains sharp, but his body has been in rebellion for the past few months. He's chosen to remain in La Ribera, where he has an enviable support system, and to forgo aggressive treatment of his cancer, which has gotten neither worse nor better. I hope he can hang in there, as he's a shining example of the right way to "Nomad".

David K - 7-13-2018 at 04:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  

I exchanged emails with George earlier this week. His mind remains sharp, but his body has been in rebellion for the past few months. He's chosen to remain in La Ribera, where he has an enviable support system, and to forgo aggressive treatment of his cancer, which has gotten neither worse nor better. I hope he can hang in there, as he's a shining example of the right way to "Nomad".

Well stated!

woody with a view - 7-13-2018 at 06:05 PM

I never met the man although we have a close internet friendship. His short stories always leave me thinking about my experiences south of the border, only the names have been changed to protect the innocent! I cherish my binder of his writings!

He is a man among lesser beings. All my best Amigo!

BajaBlanca - 7-13-2018 at 07:32 PM

Hang in there George!

We shall try and visit when we head south next ... possibly this August.

Miss your one of a kind, ingenious stories. Be sure and publish more when you are up to it.

BornFisher - 7-13-2018 at 09:07 PM

Very sad to hear this. Osprey is one good people.

I Wish Osprey a Healthy Recovery

GypsyJan - 7-13-2018 at 10:52 PM

I have enjoyed his memorable posts for may years.

[Edited on 7-14-2018 by GypsyJan]

watizname - 7-14-2018 at 06:52 AM

My thoughts and prayers are with you Osprey.

Novella

Osprey - 7-14-2018 at 07:40 AM

Thanks Udo and thanks to all Nomads and Nomadams for your nice comments and wishes.

This piece is emblematic of my whole adventure down here.

Attachment: Los Ricos Tambien Lloran.docx (47kB)
This file has been downloaded 329 times

David K - 7-14-2018 at 07:50 AM

Very cool story Jorge!

Udo - 7-14-2018 at 09:07 AM

I could not have said this any better!

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  

Life is a Temporary State.

MrBillM - 7-15-2018 at 08:11 AM

Nobody's getting out alive.

For those of us who live long enough, the senior years seem to be filled with acquaintances checking out.

We've had (3) "friends" memorials scheduled in the last (4) weeks with another not yet scheduled.

Yesterday, mi esposa visited (in the hospital) her oldest (remaining) friend first met in 1970. It was clear that she's never coming home.

Enjoy the moments. Bad times are in everybody's future.

BajaBill74 - 7-15-2018 at 09:18 AM

I'm so old that all of my dead friends are wondering whatever happened to Bill.

Udo - 7-16-2018 at 08:15 AM

There will be a surprise waiting for you on the other side, Bill

Udo - 7-16-2018 at 08:17 AM

Osprey's health may be somewhat convoluted at this time, but his mind is as sharp as ever!

Quote: Originally posted by Osprey  
Thanks Udo and thanks to all Nomads and Nomadams for your nice comments and wishes.

This piece is emblematic of my whole adventure down here.

bajajudy - 7-16-2018 at 04:07 PM

Osprey
I am just down the road if you need ANYTHING!

Skipjack Joe - 7-16-2018 at 11:35 PM

Osprey:

I half expect you to continue writing from the other side, describing the life up there in a series of stories. Perhaps an argument by St Peter and a head angel over the color that the gates should be repainted.

Stay strong my old friend. Keep the weight up. Keep eating even when the thought of food disgusts you.

Notes from beyond

Osprey - 7-17-2018 at 04:57 AM

Good call, Skip.

Attachment: Heaven.rtf (10kB)
This file has been downloaded 291 times

Skipjack Joe - 7-17-2018 at 06:29 AM

Osprey:

I had another proposal right after I posted the above. You'll love this.

Since I'm not doing that great either, we'll 'leave' on the same day. You know, we'll pull off that Jefferson/Adams thing. Your last words could be:

"Thank God Igor lives"

Or something like that. Nothing too fancy, you know. Just something to mark the day.

Guaranteed immortality.

----------------------------------------------------------

Just trying to cheer you up Jorge.

BajaRat - 7-17-2018 at 11:30 AM

Igor and Osprey, All the best
Lionel

Get Straight with God !

MrBillM - 7-17-2018 at 11:41 AM

Speaking as one who chats daily with the Divine Guy, I recommend it to everyone.

Of course (for the most part), in our conversations, His Heavenly Highness invariably agrees with me. Rarely offering helpful minor revisions to my thinking. It's mostly "Right On, Bill".

God IS on MY side. Maybe yours, too.

If you agree with me.

Udo - 7-17-2018 at 03:53 PM

I'll be right behind you

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRat  
Igor and Osprey, All the best
Lionel

Udo - 7-17-2018 at 03:56 PM

Hey, Bill...I have been to the other side and did not see any lightning or fireballs (that was in 2014) and I know I have been good since.

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
Speaking as one who chats daily with the Divine Guy, I recommend it to everyone.

Of course (for the most part), in our conversations, His Heavenly Highness invariably agrees with me. Rarely offering helpful minor revisions to my thinking. It's mostly "Right On, Bill".

God IS on MY side. Maybe yours, too.

If you agree with me.

2014 - It was a Very Good Year

MrBillM - 7-17-2018 at 04:38 PM

Feb 20. There and back.

Didn't see anybody I knew, but it was a brief visit. Spent the following two days on the edge of returning.

Made up my mind that the surgeons aren't getting another shot at sending me back.

It's been Que Sera Sera since. I only hope that it's an express ride.

Too many older acquaintances lately have left after too long a voyage on the S.S. Hospice.

A BAD trip.

bajabuddha - 7-17-2018 at 04:46 PM

Feed a fever, starve a troll.

pauldavidmena - 7-19-2018 at 05:22 AM

A wise man once said, "In Heaven there is no beer; that's why we drink it here."

[Edited on 7-19-2018 by pauldavidmena]

In MY Conversations with the Divine Brewmeister ................

MrBillM - 7-19-2018 at 09:52 AM

He's confided that there WILL be Beer.

Along with J.C.'s favortie wines, of course.

No "Light" beers, though. There being no point.

If you end up with a Bud Light in hand, you'll know that you've reached the other destination.

Skipjack Joe - 7-19-2018 at 02:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  

No "Light" beers, though. There being no point.

:lol::lol::lol: What's the point of getting high? You can't get much higher.

BajaBlanca - 7-19-2018 at 02:15 PM

That is a good point, that is as high as you can get!

Let's keep healthy everyone!!

Hope you are better Ospreyzinho (that is Portuguese).

What's the Point ?

MrBillM - 7-19-2018 at 05:13 PM

Of Getting High ?

NONE that I've ever seen.

Intoxication has NO redeeming qualities.

As I've said (too ?) often (in various wordings) "The first Beer on a hot day (currently Stella Artois) is GREAT. The second is nearly so. After that, you're just working at getting drunk".

And, becoming offensive.

David K - 9-1-2018 at 02:20 PM

Osprey gave me a signed copy of maybe his last (?) published work. I will share it all.

Here are the front and back covers:

pascuale - 9-24-2018 at 06:04 PM

Jorge is one of the nicest guys I have met. I had the opportunity to meet him at his home in La Ribera a few times back in about 2004-2007. I was only 22 years old then. He welcomed me and my fishing buddies to his home to talk about fishing in the Sea of Cortez, the spots off East Cape, and the kind people of La Ribera. He introduced me to Trino who I fished with for a few years. You are in my prayers Jorge. Thank you for your hospitality.
Does anyone have an address to send a card?

BajaBlanca - 9-25-2018 at 01:31 AM

pascuale = Osprey passed on Aug. 11

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=90990

pascuale - 10-6-2018 at 06:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
pascuale = Osprey passed on Aug. 11

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=90990

Thank you Blanca.