BajaNomad

Change forum categories to replace Golfing with Guadalupe Valley and

wilderone - 7-18-2018 at 11:59 AM

Since there is so much (scattered) online information and the region is growing, it would be nice to get the latest info. within a specific category on the forum from actual experiencers. is that a word?

Just a suggestion.

David K - 7-18-2018 at 12:08 PM

Regional forums could be good for the most popular areas of discussion?

Guadalupe Valley (Valle de Guadalupe)

Ensenada/Punta Banda

San Felipe/Puertecitos/Gonzaga Bay (Bahía San Luis Gonzaga)

San Quintín

L.A. Bay (Bahía de los Angeles)/Punta San Francisquito

Bahía Asunción/La Bocana/Punta Abreojos

Mulegé/Punta Chivato/Bahía Concepción

Loreto

La Paz

East Cape (Los Barriles/La Ribera/Cabo Pulmo)

Todos Santos/El Pescadero

Los Cabos (San José del Cabo/Cabo San Lucas)

[Edited on 7-18-2018 by David K]

Re: Valle Guadalupe

BajaNomad - 7-18-2018 at 02:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Since there is so much (scattered) online information and the region is growing, it would be nice to get the latest info. within a specific category on the forum from actual experiencers. is that a word?

Just a suggestion.

I understand the point. Your suggestion - on the surface - is to create a regional interest forum, which... as David has noted... creates the idea of regional forums for throughout the peninsula. I'm uncertain this is needed. I do feel however that perhaps a topic of Baja Foodies, and/or Baja Wine Tasting (etc) would be more in line with the interests forums. At least at the present time.

I would simply add forums that seemed relevant - there's no need to remove one, even if it's been inactive for a while.

As far as information regionally, that's on-point for some other things "brewing" in the background to implement at a date in the not too far-off future.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

del mar - 7-18-2018 at 02:37 PM

I pay zero attention to the forum (unless im posting) I use "todays posts and only pay attention to the subject matter. but thats just me:P

thebajarunner - 7-18-2018 at 03:40 PM

Doug,
I agree with you concerning "regional" categories.
Everyone has a favorite spot. Your regions would run on for many pages.
For years mine was La Mision because we worked so closely with the Door of Faith Orphanage.
I could see the folks down south demanding separate ones for Abreojos, Bocana, Asuncion.....maybe even Campo Rene.

I do like the idea of a "Food and Wine" category

But as del mar points out, most of us enter through the "Today's Posts" and don't notice categories unless you are planning to start a new threat.
Duhhhh, I didn't even know we had a "Golf" category.

bajabuddha - 7-18-2018 at 04:12 PM

GOLF.... is a good walk, spoiled. ~ Mark Twain:smug:

SFandH - 7-18-2018 at 04:26 PM

Regional categories may be confusing. For example, say someone has a rental available in Mulege. Where would they put the post, in the "Mulege" section or the "Rentals Available" section? I think having both subject and regionally based threads would be too complicated from the reader's point of view.

This message board works great. I appreciate the old traditional style. I've been reading Ron's Talk Baja Facebook group and I think this format is far superior for the subject matter.

The "Today's Posts" thread is the go-to thread for daily readers.

A food and wine thread would be a good addition.

Of course, just my off-hand opinions. Design debates are good.

[Edited on 7-18-2018 by SFandH]

David K - 7-18-2018 at 04:36 PM

Agree, the location-specific categories would NOT be for any sales (classified ads forum) but rather for regional discussion, restaurants, advice, etc.

How often do we have posts in General Baja discussion where it is 'somewhere' in Baja but the Nomad doesn't say where or uses a name only well known locally or that has many duplicates in Baja (La Bocana, Agua Caliente, etc.).

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.. agreed.
It was just an idea if we did a Guadalupe Valley forum to have the same option for other popular area-specific chat.

Paco Facullo - 7-18-2018 at 04:40 PM

My vote is for a "Taco and Beer" category ....:bounce:

del mar - 7-18-2018 at 04:43 PM

I would think "baja restaurant reviews" would suffice? now, who's picking who in this weekend's British open?

SFandH - 7-18-2018 at 04:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  

Just a suggestion.

wilderone, copy and paste into google:

site:forums.bajanomad.com guadalupe

willardguy - 7-18-2018 at 05:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
I would think "baja restaurant reviews" would suffice? now, who's picking who in this weekend's British open?

TIGER! we should have a golf forum! :lol:

SFandH - 7-18-2018 at 05:06 PM

It wouldn't take up too much space on the server, that's a good thing.;)

wilderone - 7-18-2018 at 05:21 PM

SFandH - I did that - don't see your point.

Anyway, Guadalupe Valley is known for wine tasting - part of it is called "Ruta de Vino" - special to Baja California. It's not town-specific like San Felipe or San Quintin - wine tasting is an activity, like surfing or whale watching or any of the other things listed under activities. There are wine tasting trips, buses, maps, etc. for areas all over California because some people are interested in that ACTIVITY.
On this forum, as with all categories, the latest information by travelers is imparted to readers. Such a category might save me an hour of researching general information and advertising online, but narrowing down relevant information from people having had the actual experience is more valuable.
Doug, not a big deal - just wanted to clarify. David.