BajaNomad

Los Pinos and the Rodriguez brothers

del mar - 7-19-2018 at 12:39 PM

quite a bit of buzz about the new Pemex in Catavina! next time you drop a C-note at one of Don Rafael's beautiful hotels or gas up at one of his pemex's or spend your dough at rancho grande....well you decide :(

https://truthout.org/articles/slave-in-the-fields-a-reporter...

SFandH - 7-19-2018 at 01:07 PM

Must be among the lowest paid workers in Mexico.

fishbuck - 7-19-2018 at 02:41 PM

It's better if the brothers like you...

thebajarunner - 7-19-2018 at 03:05 PM

Thanks for bringing this story to light
I have hesitated to bring up the dismal topic
Years back my church did an annual trip to an orphanage in the area (no names because I fear the might of the Rodriguez gang)
We had two doctors and a nurse along, and they were requested to hold some clinics for the Pinos workers in their home camps
I have been to clinics in the slums of Port au Prince and Calcutta. They were comparable in all aspects to what we saw in these Baja camps
So sad!!!
But they sure do produce nice veggies and have fabulous homes on the hill overlooking their private jet port.....

fishbuck - 7-19-2018 at 03:12 PM

Amazing isn't it.

I guess this is a good time to start a "mission" to help the poor farm famlies...

How can I help?

norte - 7-19-2018 at 04:14 PM

Just to be fair...the analysis of Truthout.org..

"These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. "

thebajarunner - 7-19-2018 at 04:26 PM

"Just to be fair..."
Well, you won't find anyone on this board more conservative than I.
And, I have walked those camps and they made me sick.

Go walk the camps, then tell us your impression.

David K - 7-19-2018 at 04:42 PM

Dave and Juanita of Rancho Cielito Lindo would collect donations for the children of these very poor farm-working folks. As my kids grew, we took donations to both 'porkypig' at San Quintin.... and to 'jrbaja' at La Barca, who helped other areas of Baja.

del mar - 7-19-2018 at 04:56 PM

seriously? soliciting donations for exploited farm workers children employed by the Rodriguez family....and continuing to patronize their businesses? does that sound right to you?:?:

BajaBlanca - 7-19-2018 at 05:10 PM

Sickening.

norte - 7-19-2018 at 05:41 PM

Yes I have been at the camp in San QUintin. Not as you describe though. Seemed to be 2 groups of people...full time workers that lived on-site in nice housing, on-site medical, on-site school, etc...can't speak to the on-site store but there was one. And the part-timers who were bussed in. They were obviously less paid and lived off-site...but there was a roving doctor they could see in the fields.... If you have not been there,, you can request a tour for your selves.. an impressive operation.

del mar - 7-19-2018 at 05:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Yes I have been at the camp in San QUintin. Not as you describe though. Seemed to be 2 groups of people...full time workers that lived on-site in nice housing, on-site medical, on-site school, etc...can't speak to the on-site store but there was one. And the part-timers who were bussed in. They were obviously less paid and lived off-site...but there was a roving doctor they could see in the fields.... If you have not been there,, you can request a tour for your selves.. an impressive operation.

you obviously didn't bother to read the story, or choose not to believe it. thats fine too.

SFandH - 7-19-2018 at 05:52 PM

From the article:

"Before April 3 of this year, the laborers earned 70 pesos for a work day that consisted of harvesting 45 buckets of cucumbers and 35 of tomatoes, plus cleaning five rows. After the wage increase of 15 percent, the owners increased the workload in Los Pinos. Now the workers are required to pick 60 buckets of cucumbers, 50 of tomatoes and clean six rows."

70 * 1.15 / 18 = $4.47 a day

norte - 7-19-2018 at 05:53 PM

From the article...They must be doing something right...In August 1999, Ernesto Zedillo came to inaugurate a cluster of housing for workers and a vegetable packing plant.

In March 2009, while visiting Baja California, Felipe Calderon landed on the airstrip of Rancho Los Pinos to join the Rodriguez brothers at a family party. And in November 2013 Enrique Peña Nieto delivered the National Export Award to the Rodriguez brothers for their accomplishments at San Quintin.

And you are striving to believe the worst. Visit the place before you condemn them.

carlosg - 7-19-2018 at 06:30 PM

This article from a Mexican newspaper may be "enlightening" as how these scoundrels have gotten to where they are by riding on the backs of those many unfortunate people being constantly exploited by the "selected" ones:

Quote: Originally posted by carlosg  
... Los Pinos bought cents on a peso the Santa Maria in San Quintin and the Mision Catavi�a along with the gas station across from it back when Calderon was president, it all started booming when Fox became the first PAN president... Los Pinos has a long history of power abuse, just look at the present situation http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=78286&got... the farm laborers and the said 100 pesos a day salary... all built on the huge government grants and "connections" :

clic on "translating"

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=...

David K - 7-19-2018 at 06:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
seriously? soliciting donations for exploited farm workers children employed by the Rodriguez family....and continuing to patronize their businesses? does that sound right to you?:?:

Did I not use the right words?
Juanita delivered clothes and other supplies to the small children who needed them [whose parents could not afford to buy or get].

Once again I am calling you out!!!

thebajarunner - 7-19-2018 at 09:29 PM

From the article...They must be doing something right...In August 1999, Ernesto Zedillo came to inaugurate a cluster of housing for workers and a vegetable packing plant.

In March 2009, while visiting Baja California, Felipe Calderon landed on the airstrip of Rancho Los Pinos to join the Rodriguez brothers at a family party. And in November 2013 Enrique Peña Nieto delivered the National Export Award to the Rodriguez brothers for their accomplishments at San Quintin.

And you are striving to believe the worst. Visit the place before you condemn them.

Have you visited the camps???
I can answer that without knowing you.
Defending the P-nche Rodriguez gang tells me you have not set foot in the camps.
I have walked the camps, helped organize and facilitate the clinics

You know why we quit?
Because we got word that those "on high" did not appreciate us checking out their turf.

Read your own post, Dude....
The president landed on their jet strip and went up to the mansion for a fiesta.....DUHHHHH

How long did he spend down in the pits?????

Sick people!!!

norte - 7-20-2018 at 08:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

Have you visited the camps???
I can answer that without knowing you.
Defending the P-nche Rodriguez gang tells me you have not set foot in the camps.
I have walked the camps, helped organize and facilitate the clinics

You know why we quit?
Because we got word that those "on high" did not appreciate us checking out their turf.

Read your own post, Dude....
The president landed on their jet strip and went up to the mansion for a fiesta.....DUHHHHH

How long did he spend down in the pits?????

Sick people!!!

As stated above (guess you have reading comprehension problems) I have been to Los Pinos farms and packing plant. From your response sounds like you really have a problem with people who have airplanes. Had you done some better with your life, you may not have been so hyper critical and jealous.

Los Pinos

Steve in Oro Valley - 7-20-2018 at 09:15 AM

B. Traven (Treasure of Sierra Madre author) wrote about these poor indigenous types who were slaves in the mahogony lumber racket in Chiapas more than 100 years ago.......

"March to the Monteria" and "Rebellion of the Hanged" described the conditions of unending indebtednes to the Mayordomos who ran the stores before the last Mexican revolution....

Los Pinos learned from those Feudal lords, apparently

Steve in Oro Valle

[Edited on 7-20-2018 by Steve in Oro Valley]

JoeJustJoe - 7-20-2018 at 09:38 AM

Sure you have been there Norte, and those slave masters, at "Los Pinos farms," sure treat their workers wonderfully? We should all want to be workers at "Los Pinos farms."

It's pretty well documented most if not all those Mexican farms, treat the workers as working slaves, who work for slaves wages, and if the employees live on the farms, they get ripped off again, especially when buying food, and other necessaries. This way the employers, could keep their workers indebted to them, and keep them working.

Usually, anybody claiming how wonderful the farm workers are treated, are doing propaganda for the farms, and the others, are just extreme ultra conservatives, who automatically side with the employers, and management, especially if the workers happen to be immigrants, or have dark skin.

Some question if "Mexico Bias Fact Check" is incompetent, dishonest, or both.

Media Bias Fact Check: Incompetent or Dishonest?

"These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. "

gnukid - 7-20-2018 at 10:11 AM

Be realistic about the state of labor in Mexico. It is not simply this case, the wage being paid by Rodriguez Brothers is above the minimum gov set rate and is base pay for a majority of manual labor force in Mexico which likely includes 50% of the working population.

Rodriguez Brothers are an example of a functioning business that employees people within the legal guidelines in a country that has strict labor laws. Rodriguez Brothers are the least of concerns in comparison to life and death problems faced daily.

If you feel strongly that wages in Mexico are an issue, there are also issues of concern with lack of potable water and sewage treatment, education, health care, senior care, crime, cartel violence, systemic corruption and a legal system that fails to prosecute crimes or hold criminals.

rts551 - 7-20-2018 at 10:40 AM

I am with gnukid on this one.

How many of you Woody Guthrie types are on the front lines? or are you just keyboard activists. hint...haven't seen any one singing in the fields lately.

bajabuddha - 7-20-2018 at 10:49 AM

Request a tour? As in, a tour led by the Company? I guess you could 'request a tour' of North Korea too, and see 'an impressive operation' of what they want you to see too.

If you close one eye it only looks half as bad. :smug:

fishbuck - 7-20-2018 at 01:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

Did I not use the right words?
Juanita delivered clothes and other supplies to the small children who needed them [whose parents could not afford to buy or get].

I was trying to figure out how or even if I could help there somewhere. There is a need for sure.
They area is thriving and there is lots of work. So something is going right.
I hope the brothers will let me park my jet at the runway. You know, when I get one.:cool:

[Edited on 7-20-2018 by fishbuck]

SFandH - 7-20-2018 at 02:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

I was trying to figure out how or even if I could help there somewhere. There is a need for sure. The area is thriving and there is lots of work.

The best hope is for a civil rights activist in the mould of Cesar Chavez to organize a farm workers union. That's an idea that should appeal to lefty AMLO.

[Edited on 7-20-2018 by SFandH]

Ceasar Chavev a civil rights activist?

AKgringo - 7-20-2018 at 02:25 PM

Come on now...he was a union organizer! The migrant workers legally in the US under the Bracero program were targets to be converted, or gotten rid of.

SFandH - 7-20-2018 at 02:31 PM

OK, Cesar Chavez, labor leader.

fishbuck - 7-20-2018 at 02:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

I was trying to figure out how or even if I could help there somewhere. There is a need for sure. The area is thriving and there is lots of work.

The best hope is for a civil rights activist in the mould of Cesar Chavez to organize a farm workers union. That's an idea that should appeal to lefty AMLO.

[Edited on 7-20-2018 by SFandH]

I think they m have a few of those guys. I think they had a little riot/protest a few months ago... shut down the highway and stuff...

[Edited on 7-21-2018 by fishbuck]

rts551 - 7-20-2018 at 03:09 PM

THey actually have a couple of unions already...or they have tried to. That is who organized the strikes of a couple of years ago where tghey gained some wage concessions. Too bad you people did not go participate, throw a few rocks, burn a bus etc

fishbuck - 7-20-2018 at 03:18 PM

"San Quintin Riot For Wages Festival"?
Fun for the whole family?
Bring you own rocks?

chumlee57 - 7-20-2018 at 09:33 PM

pretty sure by now any seasoned Baja traveler has seen the problems stretching form San Quintin to Colonet, and the typical conditions in Vizciano, etc.... I would suggest it's all about idea's, as in lets say mexico was granted the southwestern portion of the united states, say texas, new mexico and arizona, right now 7/19/2018. in less than a generation it would look exactly like mexico today, as in the small percentage of the ruling class would brow beat the poor working stiffs. Countries, people and cultures need to see the truth about what works for the good of the majority of that particular culture, some will say that is a recipe for disaster, I say, ask anyone who strives for a better life

mtgoat666 - 7-20-2018 at 10:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chumlee57  
pretty sure by now any seasoned Baja traveler has seen the problems stretching form San Quintin to Colonet, and the typical conditions in Vizciano, etc.... I would suggest it's all about idea's, as in lets say mexico was granted the southwestern portion of the united states, say texas, new mexico and arizona, right now 7/19/2018. in less than a generation it would look exactly like mexico today, as in the small percentage of the ruling class would brow beat the poor working stiffs. Countries, people and cultures need to see the truth about what works for the good of the majority of that particular culture, some will say that is a recipe for disaster, I say, ask anyone who strives for a better life

Most of the world, and the USA historically, has the ruling class lord over a teaming mass of poor.
In USA and Western Europe, you can thank democracy, idealism, progressives, unions, etc. for correcting the worst tendencies of humanity.
The gop would love to see the USA made over to look like san quintin farms, a ruling class controlling a teaming mass of poor.
Heck, trump refuses to pay a fair wage in his hotels, so he staffs them with Eastern European temp laborers. He loves migrant laborers, just not Mexican migrant laborers :lol: