BajaNomad

5 Gal. propane tanks and safety, storage

wilderone - 7-23-2018 at 07:07 PM

Doesn't have to do with Baja, but I thought a bunch of you might know the answer to my questions - I have no experience with 5. gal. propane tanks.

For a condo complex - taking propane tank to/from the BBQ area - is there something for this? Do you store it in a box of some type for winter, or to keep connections from getting dirty (will be stored on outdoor patio)?

I think I'm going to have to provide one for a tenant and I'd like to cover all the bases as far as convenience, safety and maintenance are concerned.
Thanks a bunch.

AKgringo - 7-23-2018 at 07:31 PM

In the unlikely event that a 20 pound (5 gal) propane tank should leak, I would not recommend storing it in a box. Propane is heavier than air, and will collect in a low spot until it dissipates.

The barbeque, or other appliance that is connected to the tank is the usual source of leaks if the valve on the tank is not shut properly. If the tank is disconnected, it should have a plug to keep the outlet clean.

Cold weather should not be an issue, unless you fill the tank from an above ground tank that has been in sub zero temps for a while, then take the tank into a warm area. The propane expands when warmed, and could pop the pressure relief valve! (yes, it happened to me!)

[Edited on 7-24-2018 by AKgringo]

Timo1 - 7-24-2018 at 04:19 AM

They fit perfectly in one of those plastic milk crates.
Easier to handle and when in the back of your truck it
won't have the tendancy to roll around.

Bob and Susan - 7-24-2018 at 05:17 AM

I would leave it hooked up

check it for leaks with windex

Do not let the tenant take it off and on

you cannot trust a renter to connect and disconnect a dangerous item like propane tanks

normally you never take a tank off a bbq until it's empty...just close the valve

BajaTed - 7-24-2018 at 11:15 AM

Eyes wide open:o and C.Y.A.
Tenants leave the BBQ on and walk away all the time.
Provide a charcoal BBQ and metal hot coal container. Let them go down the other path, if they want.

wilderone - 7-24-2018 at 07:22 PM

Hmmmm - good points. The situation is that one Board member nixed the expenditure for propane (which was always hooked up to the BBQ in the BBQ area). So tenant wants to BBQ, and we were thinking they could own their own tank - take it to BBQ area about 30 yards away, and then remove it from BBQ and take it back home.
I really don't want them to have any kind of BBQ in their small patio. We'll work something out.
I really appreciate the input. Thanks.

mtgoat666 - 7-24-2018 at 07:30 PM

Easy way to move tank is to get a mini/folding diablito and bungee cord the tank to it, so you can wheel it easily.

[Edited on 7-25-2018 by mtgoat666]

AKgringo - 7-24-2018 at 07:53 PM

Good idea keeping it away from the patio! With a little more room, they could set one of these up; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5Zo3d5MaU0

Daventec - 5-7-2019 at 09:40 AM

Definitely learning a lot from here. Thanks for the info, fellas!

Udo - 5-7-2019 at 10:59 AM

You can not trust a renter to even turn off a hot water heater propane valve!

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
I would leave it hooked up

check it for leaks with windex

Do not let the tenant take it off and on

you cannot trust a renter to connect and disconnect a dangerous item like propane tanks

normally you never take a tank off a bbq until it's empty...just close the valve

wilderone - 5-9-2019 at 03:51 PM

Turns out, OBE (overcome by events). I wrote to the HOA Board and told them to furnish propane in the BBQ common area - minimal expense, intended amenity. And they did. I told my tenants I thought it was too risky and that they couldn't have a tank on the patio - there are Cal. Fire Code provisions about how far from a fire must be from combustible walls, fences, balconies.