BajaNomad

TIP for Towing Travel Trailers into Baja

Herbert - 7-27-2018 at 08:50 PM

We've been searching high and low online for a week or so as to the TIP requirement for towing our 20 foot travel trailer in Baja. We've seen conflicting answers on different websites as to if a TIP is actually necessary to take a truck and travel trailer into Baja. Does anyone have the lowdown on what is actually REQUIRED to travel in Baja with our pickup truck and travel trailer? Thank you!

bajatrailrider - 7-28-2018 at 12:59 PM

I wish I knew I live in northern Baja tow my trailer all the time. Don't know if any thing required as been towing around camping 20 years

Herbert - 7-28-2018 at 01:07 PM

Thank you for the reply. Been driving down to Baja for over 20 years, but first time towing a trailer. Stumbled on the TIP requirements, and were kind of taken aback. We'll probably just wing it when the time comes. Thanks again for you reply!

Alm - 7-28-2018 at 01:28 PM

Note that OP specifically mentioned travel trailer, no just any trailer.

Required - yes. Any RV.

They didn't enforce it yet it on Baja crossings. Recently there was a crackdown on motorhomes, but to my best knowledge it's all quiet with trailers.

Here is a brief summary: https://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/rvpermit.php

Herbert - 7-28-2018 at 02:08 PM

Thanks for the info! It was much needed.

JZ - 7-28-2018 at 02:16 PM

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2017/oct/20/stringers-re...

Discovery Baja's site says:

As of October 2017, if you are a registered motorhome or a vehicle towing a 5th wheel or travel trailer, you will need a temporary import permit for Baja.
http://www.discoverbaja.com/go/go-checklist/

You get the permits at the border. Might be able to get it online ahead of time: https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/.

When I go to Sonora I get one that covers the truck and up to 3 bikes.

[Edited on 7-28-2018 by JZ]

Ron in BC - 7-28-2018 at 02:17 PM

I was thinking along the same line. They specifically mention motorhomes, converted vans and pick-ups with campers. But I don't see any specific mention of travel trailers.

I'm not worried though. I won't be down again until Jan. I'm sure it'll be absolutely clarified by then.

Ron

Ron in BC - 7-28-2018 at 02:26 PM

Oh brother, the second article doesn't look as hopeful. But it's dated Oct. 2017 so hopefully there're be posts from folks with recent experience.

Besides Mex. 5 progress, another thing to watch. :)

Ron

SFandH - 7-28-2018 at 02:55 PM

From the San Diego Reader article that JZ linked to:

(Kramer works for Discover Baja)

Kramer said the new towing rules started about a month ago and that “unfortunately the Mexican government doesn’t have anything in writing about the new regulations.”

Yikes! The unwritten rules. Make 'em up as you go.

[Edited on 7-28-2018 by SFandH]

bajapedro - 7-28-2018 at 03:03 PM

My buddy pulled his 22' travel trailer down middle of June. Only question they asked was about quantity of beer. They didn't even ask to see registration.

AKgringo - 7-28-2018 at 03:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajapedro  
My buddy pulled his 22' travel trailer down middle of June. Only question they asked was about quantity of beer. They didn't even ask to see registration.

It would be interesting to know which crossing he used, and what time of day.

rts551 - 7-28-2018 at 03:27 PM

Just go. Make sure you have your paper work (registration etc) and at the border if they want you to get a TIP....get one. No worries.

JZ - 7-28-2018 at 03:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Just go. Make sure you have your paper work (registration etc) and at the border if they want you to get a TIP....get one. No worries.

This. That article was pretty poorly written. It says they were "turned away at the border" and "denied entry into the country."

Bunch of bull crap. You just go get a permit if they ask you to.

bajatrailrider - 7-28-2018 at 05:43 PM

In my case yes camping airstream Trailer. Only thing mine stays now in Mexico. Never been pulled over At check point they saw big black dog inside. Said keep going don't take the dog out HAAAAA

Alm - 7-28-2018 at 10:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ron in BC  
They specifically mention motorhomes, converted vans and pick-ups with campers. But I don't see any specific mention of travel trailers.

Both Discover Baja and San Diego paper mention requirements for 5th wheels and travel trailers. Same in Baja Bound.

But, required is one thing and enforced - another. In Mexico these 2 things are not directly related, you may have either one without the other.

[Edited on 7-29-2018 by Alm]

JZ - 7-29-2018 at 01:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

Both Discover Baja and San Diego paper mention requirements for 5th wheels and travel trailers. Same in Baja Bound.

[Edited on 7-29-2018 by Alm]

San Diego article is basically quoting Discover Baja. So, it's one source. And from late 2017.

Baja Bound makes it sound like it's a benefit for RVs. 10 year permits. So they can stay in Baja for a long time.

Seems very unclear to me.

[Edited on 7-29-2018 by JZ]

bajapedro - 7-29-2018 at 06:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajapedro  

He crossed at Mexicali East and was the first in line when it opened at 6AM.

wiltonh - 7-29-2018 at 07:14 AM

I purchased TIP online last year for a small motor home. It was really quite easy and they mailed it to me VERY fast. The issue at that time was it was only good until your FMM ran out. If you did not turn it in they had the option to charge some large penalties. We had to go back into Mexico at Tecate to find the place to turn it in. With the construction going on there, it was a nightmare to get to the bank. We had to cross into on coming traffic at the direction of a policeman to get into the parking lot.

The new rules show a 10 year permit so that will be much better. We were never asked for the permit but they did remove it from our window and they appeared to have a computer to enter the information that we had returned it.

sancho - 7-29-2018 at 10:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Yikes! The unwritten rules. Make 'em up as you go.
[Edited on 7-28-2018 by SFandH]

That does seem to be the case, from what I've read. no TIP
enforcement for for motor homes, crossed Mexicali 8 weeks
back, friend driving a high top van conversion, nothing said.
Speaking of TIPS,
read of a guy recently crossed Mexico East towing a boat, 22',
they just wanted the reg for the boat, no TIP. My understanding
a TIP required for boats over 15' ft. or so, don't expect
clarification from Mex Customs

JZ - 7-29-2018 at 10:21 AM

If you try to put the boat in a marina they will ask for a TIP and insurance.

unbob - 9-29-2018 at 12:39 PM

Nowhere in the bajabound article or in this thread is the word "deposit" mentioned (until now). I know that a deposit must be paid when entering on the mainland (except the Sonora "free-zone"). But not when purchasing a TIP on entry to Baja?

dtbushpilot - 9-29-2018 at 06:08 PM

Crossed at Tecate southbound twice in the last 6 months in our Motorhome. No mention of a TIP, quick look around and sent on our way.

SFandH - 9-29-2018 at 07:43 PM

People concerned about TIPs should just stop at the border and ask if one is required and be prepared to get one if the answer is yes. There seems to be a lot of conflicting info on the Inet. I would not assume what you read is accurate unless it is in Spanish on a Mexican government website.

[Edited on 9-30-2018 by SFandH]

weebray - 9-30-2018 at 08:44 AM

Living north of the border accustoms us to putting all of our ducks in a row and fear any contact with the "authorities". (water dept. enforcement people to the FBI {err RCMP}. They are ubiquitous and all of us are aware of their inflexibility. My humble advise to the poster is that he/she should understand that generally Mexico has a more flexible and practical approach to life on so many different levels. EVERY day here I see people doing things here that would, at least, incur a hefty fine on the otro lado. Anything can happen here - and does. In this case literally millions of people have traveled in Baja California without a TIP. I'm sure an unlucky few have actually been questioned. The results of this bad luck are?????? Who knows - use your imagination: on the spot fine? maybe, sever chastisement? maybe, send you back to the border? maybe. You get the point. One thing you cannot expect is a major fine, confiscation or any other such nonsense that you can expect in a land that monitors and inspects your life to an infinitesimal degree. Once you are over the border you can start to learn how to relax again and stop driving with your rear view mirror. This forum gets endless questions about all such nonsense, dog papers, houseplants, import duties and on and on. I can say unequivocally that enforcement in Mexico depends.

unbob - 9-30-2018 at 12:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by unbob  
Nowhere in the bajabound article or in this thread is the word "deposit" mentioned (until now). I know that a deposit must be paid when entering on the mainland (except the Sonora "free-zone"). But not when purchasing a TIP on entry to Baja?
An additional comment - it is outrageous that an article discussing requirements of obtaining a TIP would fail to mention the required payment of a deposit. A newbie would have no clue that a minimum $200 deposit must be paid. Incredible to me this was not mentioned.

Hook - 9-30-2018 at 07:56 PM

I was under the impression that if you had obtained the RV type TIP, that you did not have to post the bond on the mainland.