BajaNomad

Jardines Baja Restaurant in San Quintin

BajaHawk - 7-28-2018 at 04:27 PM

This might be my favorite restaurant in the WORLD. The mushrooms mescal and the second fish item on the menu (I forget the title) are AMAZING. Four people had two meals here recently, dinner menu, and each time the bill came to $US 40.00. This included four bottles of beer one time, and three huge steins of draft the other. I LOVE THIS PALCE. The Hotel is great too.

Oh wait. I hope they don't get so busy that they raise their prices and get so busy I can't get a room.
I take it back. These places are awful - STAY AWAY. :bounce:

Jardines small.jpg - 29kB

Lee - 7-28-2018 at 05:02 PM

First place I stop going South, last place going North. Bartender makes my margs. Squeezed limes, 2 shots Plata (Hornitos or Cabo Wabo), shot of grand marnier, over ice. Love the bar, restaurant and short walk to my room.

David K - 7-29-2018 at 12:22 AM

It is a very nice place and the gardens outside are nice, too. I guess a lot of wedding parties use it?

We had steak and lobster for our first-anniversary dinner there (July 18, 2009):

Sign in 2017 at Km. 1.5:

On to Baja Cactus for the night in El Rosario then down to Ignacio Springs for a night in a yurt. Then down to Playa Frambes Lighthouse Resort on Bahía Concepción where Bob & Susan really showed us a great time with luxury!!! www.vivabaja.com/709 for all the trip photos.

[Edited on 7-29-2018 by David K]

JZ - 7-29-2018 at 01:22 AM

Couple pics from Jardines last year.

bajatrailrider - 7-29-2018 at 06:50 AM

My favorite hang out 100 mile dirt bike beach ride then the fun starts.

Udo - 7-30-2018 at 10:01 AM

In August, we are making a RZR run to Jardines via beach only (no paved roads) if we can.

Start in Santo Tomas...first stop...oysters on the bay (Baja Gringo's restaurant on Bahia Falsa).

David K - 7-30-2018 at 10:08 AM

If you're thirsty along the way, stop at Coyote Cal's, south of Punta las Cabras and north of Ejido Erendira.

JZ - 7-30-2018 at 10:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  

From where to where?

bajatrailrider - 7-30-2018 at 11:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

From where to where?
My house San Vicente all off road and singe track 100 miles. Come along JZ

JZ - 7-30-2018 at 06:59 PM

For sure.

JZ - 7-30-2018 at 07:02 PM

Some more pics of Jardins. Couple MX friends and the owner of Jardins (I think).

[Edited on 7-31-2018 by JZ]

liknbaja127 - 7-30-2018 at 07:39 PM

Just got back last week, It is a great place, with great people
that own it! Make sure you have reservations! It gets busy
there!

advrider - 7-30-2018 at 07:50 PM

I'm not above inviting myself if you are offering? We were supposed to get by there earlier this year but those plans fell apart! Single track on top of good food and beer, now that's Baja!

From where to where?

JZ - 7-30-2018 at 07:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
I'm not above inviting myself if you are offering? We were supposed to get by there earlier this year but those plans fell apart! Single track on top of good food and beer, now that's Baja!

I was pm'ing BTR that maybe we'd come down and see him in October.

Might be a good time to do a little riding.

advrider - 7-30-2018 at 08:05 PM

Love the drone pic's....

bajatrailrider - 7-30-2018 at 09:03 PM

Yes you too ADV rider what do you ride. I never go same way twice just free for all. Cant get lost Highway to the east Ocean on the west just go for it.

BajaBlanca - 7-31-2018 at 06:12 AM

The garden is so beautiful and the drone photos are amazing!

DouglasP - 7-31-2018 at 09:30 AM

Ok, my turn! Great stop over spot! Bartender became our best friend :lol: after a long day in the saddle.

P2060892.jpg - 166kB P2060894.jpg - 141kB

advrider - 7-31-2018 at 07:36 PM

Yes you too ADV rider what do you ride. I never go same way twice just free for all. Cant get lost Highway to the east Ocean on the west just go for it.

My new love is a 2014 KTM 500 EXC, with a Rekluse, suspension and a few other goodies.... One of my favorite bikes I've ever owned, It was amazing this year in Baja... Thanks for the offer and please keep me posted when you have a ride planned...

bajatrailrider - 7-31-2018 at 08:09 PM

Last week I rode the Mexican version KTM 6 days 500 real nice bike. Except the bicycle seat I could not walk the next day. I ride just about every week so Pm anytime.

advrider - 7-31-2018 at 08:16 PM

Awesome, I'm usually down that way in Jan, Feb or March. The seat was the first upgrade I made. Coming from an XR650R and a KTM 990 makes it feel like a trials bike. The 990 is still good to eat up miles but get a lot less dirt use now...

bajatrailrider - 8-1-2018 at 09:32 AM

I think we should start a moto Baja Nomad off road club. What do you guys think. I also love 4x4 love the guys from Pole line 4x4 run but trying to get them to go out more like pulling teeth. Of course I understand people have jobs and family with respect. The custom seat a must on any bike. The 990 KTM in deep sand very hard to ride.

All is forgiven for a generator at 5:30 am

BajaHawk - 8-2-2018 at 10:32 AM

Woke-up by a generator at 5:30 am - thinking what the hell!
They had an interruption of electricity service but knew it would be important to have coffee ready. They set-up this in the patio. All was forgiven for the generator.

Gen_small.jpg - 48kB Coffee_Small.jpg - 54kB Gen_small.jpg - 48kB

David K - 8-2-2018 at 11:02 AM

How did anyone make coffee before electricity??? :lol:

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 8-2-2018 at 05:43 PM

hola dk,

when we hunted in the desert way back in the 1970's, we carried two coffee cans, one with the grounds and one for boiling water over an open fire.

poured water in the empty can, added the grounds and placed it over the fire. we let the can with water and grounds boil for a short while and voila...hot coffee !

just needed to pour the coffee slowly so as not to get the boiled grounds in our cup.

it was called " COWBOY COFFEE ".

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

advrider - 8-2-2018 at 06:52 PM

I think we should start a moto Baja Nomad off road club. What do you guys think. I also love 4x4 love the guys from Pole line 4x4 run but trying to get them to go out more like pulling teeth. Of course I understand people have jobs and family with respect. The custom seat a must on any bike. The 990 KTM in deep sand very hard to ride.

I'm in, I can bring the jeep, SXS, bike or truck! I have not done any four-wheeling in Baja on anything but a bike.... Would love some local intel on different areas..

bajatrailrider - 8-2-2018 at 08:12 PM

I'm in, I can bring the jeep, SXS, bike or truck! I have not done any four-wheeling in Baja on anything but a bike.... Would love some local intel on different areas..
You can bring all the toys I sold my SXS. I do have Toyota pre runner 3 4x4s atv 700 and at least 20 dirt bikes. Love Saturdays Ride the bikes all day clean up. Then Coyote Cals off road in trucks for lobster dinner and a nip. PM me I will give info.

toyota1.jpg - 111kB

ehall - 8-3-2018 at 07:50 AM

Conejo! Wish i was there for a nice ride along the beach. Had a great time at coyote cals last time we went to dinner.

bajatrailrider - 8-3-2018 at 08:28 PM

Hi Ed Me and Mike went north on beach past Coyote Cals then exploring roads trails going east. None where passable but one temps perfect.

tunaeater - 8-3-2018 at 08:56 PM

I'd be in on the Moto Ride throw out some dates and lets see if we can get some guys to show up.

bajatrailrider - 8-4-2018 at 11:00 PM

You guys start the dates as I ride most weeks anyway. Ride local or go to El Coyotes spend the night. Then go south to Jardines spend the night. Then 100 mile ride back to San Vicente. Even stay at Coyotes two nights ride the trails.

PaulW - 8-5-2018 at 06:07 AM

BTW, have you all discovered Jardines breakfast place. Its in San Quintin on the west side. The guy at the motel will give you directions.
Great fast service ant excellent food.

bajatrailrider - 8-5-2018 at 07:43 AM

Its the Owners son in laws place . Great food but pain for us as on dirt bikes. We need travel dirt then go inland to eat take off all our gear. Is the old mill even open anymore for breakfast. Will not ever try to eat at Don Eddys for breakfast. Three strikes and there out.

David K - 8-5-2018 at 08:38 AM

Its the Owners son in laws place . Great food but pain for us as on dirt bikes. We need travel dirt then go inland to eat take off all our gear. Is the old mill even open anymore for breakfast. Will not ever try to eat at Don Eddys for breakfast. Three strikes and there out.

The Old Mill ("Molino Viejo") was pretty fancy looking when I had dinner there last April... it was inexpensive for the lobster burrito plate and with soup, salad, and a Pacifico, only 230 pesos (US$13 then).

JZ - 8-5-2018 at 01:13 PM

You guys start the dates as I ride most weeks anyway. Ride local or go to El Coyotes spend the night. Then go south to Jardines spend the night. Then 100 mile ride back to San Vicente. Even stay at Coyotes two nights ride the trails.

I'm thinking October. The kids have a couple 3 day weekends with Jewish holidays.

Maybe take one more day off. Spend 2 days riding around Coyote Cals?

Kids started surfing this summer. Any good surf spots down there?

windgrrl - 8-5-2018 at 01:28 PM

Molino Viejo was open for breakfast at 8 am Saturday last November. We needed to get going earlier, so tried Don Eddy’s and it was very good. Cooked to order, fresh corn tamales and entertaining host. Thanks for the Jardine’s breakfast tip. Love it there - server remembers our names and preferences and makes sure we are taken care of even when the place is packed out.

chippy - 8-5-2018 at 05:18 PM

I'm thinking October. The kids have a couple 3 day weekends with Jewish holidays.

Maybe take one more day off. Spend 2 days riding around Coyote Cals?

Kids started surfing this summer. Any good surf spots down there?

How old are your kids? I think they missed the boat for surfing. Keep them on bikes. They might get good? Starting surfing at their ages is a waste of time. They will never be good at it.

JZ - 8-5-2018 at 05:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

How old are your kids? I think they missed the boat for surfing. Keep them on bikes. They might get good? Starting surfing at their ages is a waste of time. They will never be good at it.

Interesting post. Tell me more. What do you consider good?

blackwolfmt - 8-5-2018 at 05:37 PM

Interesting post. Tell me more. What do you consider good?

Oh Baloney Chippy my friends kids rip on surf boards or snow boards or dirt bikes,,, What a funny comment :light::light:

bajatrailrider - 8-5-2018 at 08:59 PM

That is funny Chippy as I know some guys that started surfing late in life. There in late 50s early 60s great surfers.

mtgoat666 - 8-5-2018 at 09:53 PM

Poppyc-ck!
Chippy, you are an idiot!

JZ - 8-6-2018 at 10:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Poppyc-ck!
Chippy, you are an idiot!

Exactly what I thought, but I wanted to give him a chance to double down on his retarded post before springing on him.

advrider - 8-6-2018 at 07:45 PM

I think we will get along just fine! LOL.......

You can bring all the toys I sold my SXS. I do have Toyota pre runner 3 4x4s atv 700 and at least 20 dirt bikes. Love Saturdays Ride the bikes all day clean up. Then Coyote Cals off road in trucks for lobster dinner and a nip. PM me I will give info.

Skipjack Joe - 1-8-2019 at 07:29 PM

The hotel at Las Jardines has an orange grove in the back. Lots of large orange laden trees. They don't sell them. They're for the guests. Just sayin.

They are spraying them with Malathion however, in case that's an issue. That appears to be the norm down here though.

[Edited on 1-9-2019 by Skipjack Joe]

BajaBlanca - 1-8-2019 at 07:52 PM

We were just at Jardines the other day and the garden is a lush as ever.

Skipjack Joe - 1-8-2019 at 10:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
We were just at Jardines the other day and the garden is a lush as ever.

They're growing Maidenhair Ferns! Maidenhair ferns in the desert? They must be doing something right.

dorado50 - 5-7-2019 at 01:16 PM

Their chips and salsa suck, Food is slightly above average and their prices are U. S. like.

David K - 5-7-2019 at 02:11 PM

San Quintín is very wet and cool-humid, on the Pacific... not a typical desert.

fishbuck - 5-7-2019 at 02:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dorado50  
Their chips and salsa suck, Food is slightly above average and their prices are U. S. like.

Accurate. Maybe a little cheaper. Had Carne Asada the other night. Best I ever had...

fishbuck - 5-8-2019 at 12:57 AM

Was there tonight. Seafood platter. Wasn't my favorite. Some dishes better than others.
I think all restuarants have that.
But always nice to go there. I think $10- 11 for the platter and 2 cokes.
Fair price...
Best value probably Restuarant Villa. At hotel. $6 for a hamburger, fries ,coke. Decent.
The other dishes that I've tried are good.
Nothing special just a solid family type place. Very comfortable and clean.

David K - 5-8-2019 at 02:22 AM

How long before you drive to Km. 16+ and eat at Parcela 12? You pass by it to go ride in the Fire engine at Km. 57!

fishbuck - 5-8-2019 at 10:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
How long before you drive to Km. 16+ and eat at Parcela 12? You pass by it to go ride in the Fire engine at Km. 57!

About 30 minutes:bounce:

TMW - 5-8-2019 at 06:21 PM

I like the fish Veracruz style at Cielito Lindo along with their killer Margaritas.

Paco Facullo - 5-8-2019 at 06:41 PM

Total agreement on the Margaritas at Cielito Lindo, have you had their cracked crab diner ?

It is their signature dish, be sure to not be wearing a good shirt as it is messy but OH SO GOOD.
Spiced with lots of paprika, get the black beans also ( it's soup like)

fishbuck - 5-8-2019 at 11:54 PM

Paco:"I like the fish Veracruz style at Cielito Lindo along with their killer Margaritas."

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Total agreement on the Margaritas at Cielito Lindo, have you had their cracked crab diner ?

It is their signature dish, be sure to not be wearing a good shirt as it is messy but OH SO GOOD.

Thanks yeah. I haven't been there in soo long.
Plus I need to get over and check out the surface of Fishbuck airstrip #2. I heard it was a little bumpy...
And with the correct landing gear airplane (fixed I'm thinking) that is fun and good practice.
Lively... and excitin'! Like airplane motocross...

David K - 5-9-2019 at 08:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

Paco:"I like the fish Veracruz style at Cielito Lindo along with their killer Margaritas."

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  

Thanks yeah. I haven't been there in soo long.
Plus I need to get over and check out the surface of Fishbuck airstrip #2. I heard it was a little bumpy...
And with the correct landing gear airplane (fixed I'm thinking) that is fun and good practice.
Lively... and excitin'! Like airplane motocross...

Next to each other were Cielito Lindo and Playa del Oro runways, back a few years:

Before it was called Cielito Lindo, it was Rancho La Mañana:

Here's Pedregal on Google Earth:

Paco Facullo - 5-9-2019 at 09:39 AM

DavidK,

Your giving Fishbuck a Bonner ...:biggrin:

David K - 5-9-2019 at 09:40 AM

Oh no... where's the saltpeter!

fishbuck - 5-9-2019 at 10:04 AM

I will try and get a pic of the runway on my was out.
All the rain here has done an incredible thing.
Our surface is crushed volcanic gravel.
But I must say we should change the description to
"ice plant".
It has really covered everything here. It is an invasive spicies that has spread all over Baja.
It looks cool, and is excellent ground cover.
But it looks... slippery to land on. I guess you can really "grease it on" as we say. That's a very smooth landing.
But I'm not sure about it... I watch somebody else try and takeoff on it.
It looks a bit "grabby", and could impede the takeoff roll... we don't like being impeded on takeofff...

David K - 5-9-2019 at 10:25 AM

Practice STOL style landings, just avoid STALL style crashes!