BajaNomad

Firewood in GN or Vizcaino

aguachico - 7-31-2018 at 07:35 AM

Group camping in a few weeks means the pyro's need a camp fire to play with... aye.

Since the border crossing is becoming more and more regulated, I'm trying to eliminate problems.

I would like to purchase firewood, preferably in GN or Vizcaino, but am open to buying it south of TJ.

Any recs are greatly appreciated.
saludos

David K - 7-31-2018 at 07:51 AM

Look for the word "Leña" on signs along the road... Firewood for sale.

Pacifico - 7-31-2018 at 08:22 AM

I think I remember seeing lots of firewood for sale in the Maneadero area, just south of Ensenada. It was on the west side of the road...

aguachico - 7-31-2018 at 08:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  
I think I remember seeing lots of firewood for sale in the Maneadero area, just south of Ensenada. It was on the west side of the road...

Yes, thanks. I have seen it there also. It is a bit inconsistent.

thebajarunner - 7-31-2018 at 08:58 AM

We put a stack of split almond in a single row along the front of the pickup bed, then load all the gear in as normal.
Enough for lots of campfires.
Been doing it for 20 years and nary a peep at the border
When we got xrayed last year we held our breath, but no comment.
It does add some serious weight to the load, but sure makes the truck ride better over the ragged road of Mex 1.

David K - 7-31-2018 at 09:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
just as you leave primo tapia right before the sand dunes theres a guy that sells firewood everyone buys from

Also known as 'Cantamar' at Km. 47 on the free road to Ensenada. ;)

JZ - 7-31-2018 at 09:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
We put a stack of split almond in a single row along the front of the pickup bed, then load all the gear in as normal.
Enough for lots of campfires.
Been doing it for 20 years and nary a peep at the border
When we got xrayed last year we held our breath, but no comment.
It does add some serious weight to the load, but sure makes the truck ride better over the ragged road of Mex 1.

This is a good play.

AKgringo - 7-31-2018 at 09:32 AM

Other than loss of time and the firewood, are other penalties involved with bringing firewood into Baja? I only ask because I get more than I will ever be able to burn just from thinning the dead and problem trees from my property.

TMW - 7-31-2018 at 10:28 AM

Also be careful bringing firewood back into the US. They can get picky about it. Best to leave it in Mexico.

Bob and Susan - 7-31-2018 at 11:35 AM

in Vizcaino, halfway thru town by a taco place they sell fire wood

they have a HUGE pile

aguachico - 7-31-2018 at 11:46 AM

Thanks for all of the responses.

Mexico is upping their game on inspections. I respect that. I for sure will be in the scanner. I've been in the scanner before with firewood. No problem.

Just don't want to start my week in paradise with the hassle.

Vizcaino it is!

aguachico - 7-31-2018 at 11:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
in Vizcaino, halfway thru town by a taco place they sell fire wood

they have a HUGE pile

Hi Bob and Susan, if I'm heading west to Asuncion, is it on the left os right side of the road?

saludos

Bob and Susan - 7-31-2018 at 12:00 PM

going south its on the right side of the road

rts551 - 7-31-2018 at 12:54 PM

Also on the southeast part of tow, right by the Sotres store there is usually mesquite firewood for sale.