BajaNomad

Hotel in Guerrero Negro

boe4fun - 8-1-2018 at 11:45 AM

Hola amigos, does anyone have a working phone number for the Malarrimo hotel in Guerrero Negro, or does anyone know a real nice hotel there? (My daughter is not so “low maintenance”! TIA.

[Edited on 8-2-2018 by boe4fun]

shari - 8-1-2018 at 11:59 AM

Terra Sal is pretty fancy and new and they have good breakfast there too...615 157 0133 pet friendly & nice king beds.
They even have a room with a jacuzzi!

Howard - 8-1-2018 at 12:17 PM

I 2nd the Terra Sal. Didn't eat there but the place is as fancy as you can get in GN.

A moderate amount of Tequila will make the place look more upscale. :))

bajaric - 8-1-2018 at 01:27 PM

There are a plethora of motel options but Terra Sal seems to be considered the best place in town. Last year drove by it, kind of sterile and on the outskirts by the highway, so drove the main drag and eventually stayed at the Cowboy, then upon return trip the Cowboy was full and stayed across the street, a decidedly downscale experience but super cheap and room was clean. The advantage to Cowboy area is good taco shops walking distance, be sure to cross the street at the giant speed bump it slows down the traffic

[Edited on 8-1-2018 by bajaric]

Jinete Viejo - 8-1-2018 at 03:55 PM

The number at Malarrimos is 615 157-0100.

thebajarunner - 8-1-2018 at 04:02 PM

Cowboy is good (not great, but certainly good)
We stayed at the seedy place across the street in June, because it was the only place that had the SkyTV channel that had the Warrior finals game 2.
It was clean, and had a good enclosed courtyard for secure parking and a really crummy t.v.
but the Warriors won, so it was all good

rts551 - 8-1-2018 at 04:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
There are a plethora of motel options but Terra Sal seems to be considered the best place in town. Last year drove by it, kind of sterile and on the outskirts by the highway, so drove the main drag and eventually stayed at the Cowboy, then upon return trip the Cowboy was full and stayed across the street, a decidedly downscale experience but super cheap and room was clean. The advantage to Cowboy area is good taco shops walking distance, be sure to cross the street at the giant speed bump it slows down the traffic

[Edited on 8-1-2018 by bajaric]

Don't know if it has been remedied but the Cowboy had some theft problems a couple of years ago. Things are seldom recovered in Guerrero Negro without a large recompensa for the police.

mtgoat666 - 8-1-2018 at 08:01 PM

Malarimos has character, and old-time-baja vibe, and great food. Malarimo is one of the older hotels in town, so a bit worn, but they keep it up nice.

Terra sal has nice rooms, a bit sterile decor. But food at terra sal is mediocre, go elsewhere to eat.

AguaDulce - 8-1-2018 at 08:47 PM

agree with Goat

Cappy - 8-2-2018 at 06:00 AM

terra sal for security.

BajaBlanca - 8-2-2018 at 07:48 AM

Terra Sal gets my vote too! But definitely go to Malarrimo for food and the store next door which has a plethora of Baja related t-shirts, earrings, and other wonderful things.

BajaBill74 - 8-2-2018 at 09:22 AM

I agree on Terra Sal. Last year they had no singles left, so I had to pay more. The room was huge and had a Jacuzzi.

This year I'm staying at Halfwaiy Inn so my drone can take a picture of the eagle. Hopefully it won't get shot down.

rts551 - 8-2-2018 at 09:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBill74  
I agree on Terra Sal. Last year they had no singles left, so I had to pay more. The room was huge and had a Jacuzzi.

This year I'm staying at Halfwaiy Inn so my drone can take a picture of the eagle. Hopefully it won't get shot down.

Since that would be of and over the military installation you could be arrested.

BajaBill74 - 8-2-2018 at 10:58 AM

I won't fly over it. just 300 feet above the Inn.

shari - 8-2-2018 at 11:02 AM

I always eat at Don Gus...never disappointed and best Homer Simpson & Freda Kalo collections in the universe!

bill erhardt - 8-2-2018 at 11:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
I always eat at Don Gus...never disappointed and best Homer Simpson & Freda Kalo collections in the universe!

I also vote for Don Guz. Here from an earlier thread on this topic:

DON GUS

On the recommendation of a friend who has been stopping there on trips to and from the States from Loreto for more than 20 years, I spent a night at Don Gus both coming and going on a trip north earlier this month. Don Gus has the best, most silent A/Cs I've seen in any motels north or south of the border. I had to hold my hand in front of the vents to know if they were working. There is also a good restaurant attached to the motel. I had fish soup one night and soup of the dead the other. Each were served in a tureen big enough to take a bath in.I recommend both the motel and the restaurant.

[Edited on 8-2-2018 by bill erhardt]

boe4fun - 8-2-2018 at 12:59 PM

Gracias a todo for the info. Plan is to leave BA early in the AM, stop by the back bay @ Ojo de Liebre, whale watch with the kids and grandkids. If the back bay isn’t up and running will take the 11:00 AM tour @ the Malarrimo. Plan on trying the cuisine at Don Gus, Malarrimo, and of course the fish/shrimp taco truck on the main drag! Can’t wait!

[Edited on 8-2-2018 by boe4fun]

Chup - 8-2-2018 at 06:47 PM

Terra Sol - It is the most secure and up to date place to stay...If, it's not overrun with the tourist bus crowd.

Great folks...ok food...better amenities.

Marc - 8-8-2018 at 12:18 PM

I am guessing the Halfway Inn was the La Pinta? Last time I overnighted there I walked right up to the monument. I am guessing 1990/91.

David K - 8-8-2018 at 02:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  

I am guessing the Halfway Inn was the La Pinta? Last time I overnighted there I walked right up to the monument. I am guessing 1990/91.

Originally, The Hotel El Presidente (1974) soon after the highway was opened. La Pinta ownership was next, then those became the Desert Inn, now, at this location, The Halfway Inn (or is it Halfway Out ?? LOL)

Marc - 8-16-2018 at 01:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Malarimos has character, and old-time-baja vibe, and great food. Malarimo is one of the older hotels in town, so a bit worn, but they keep it up nice.

Terra sal has nice rooms, a bit sterile decor. But food at terra sal is mediocre, go elsewhere to eat.

Last time at Malarimos (Nov '17) a bar/disco across the street kept us awake with the usual loud terrible music until morning. The night guard told me the police can or will not do anything unless maybe gunfire breaks out or a fight spills out onto the road. If that place is still doing business next trip we will look elsewhere.

[Edited on 8-16-2018 by Marc]