BajaNomad

Why Airlines may not be lining up to fly new routes to Baja?

rhintransit - 8-3-2018 at 12:05 PM

yesterday’s Alaska Airlines flight from Los Angeles to Loreto was forced to return to LA when the pilots, on approach, noted buckets of tar and debris on the runway. Turns out someone decided to resurface the night before, in the 100 plus degree heat.

David K - 8-3-2018 at 12:09 PM

Wow, I would think going on to La Paz would be more logical! The runway will be ready "mañana"!

sancho - 8-3-2018 at 12:16 PM

Unrelated airline incident, mil congratulations to Aero Mexico
pilots who handled the crash landing a few days ago in
Durango

rhintransit - 8-3-2018 at 12:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Wow, I would think going on to La Paz would be more logical! The runway will be ready "mañana"!

Second and third hand info so I can’t vouch for accuracy...Cabo was the choice but somehow the flight plan could not be modified

JZ - 8-3-2018 at 12:51 PM

Fly this route a bunch.

Where were they when they turned around. No way I'm believing they were very close to Loreto.

danaeb - 8-3-2018 at 01:04 PM

La Paz hasn't had any direct international flights for years. They no longer have an INM desk to process incoming international travelers.

[Edited on 8-3-2018 by danaeb]

Cyberian - 8-3-2018 at 01:19 PM

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ASA280/history/20180802/...

rhintransit - 8-3-2018 at 02:55 PM

Well, you’d be wrong, but your right to believe whatever you want

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Fly this route a bunch.

Where were they when they turned around. No way I'm believing they were very close to Loreto.

rhintransit - 8-3-2018 at 02:56 PM

Wow, that’s cool. Confirms the saga. Thanks for sharing.

Quote: Originally posted by Cyberian  
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ASA280/history/20180802/...

Howard - 8-3-2018 at 03:05 PM

Looks like todays flight from LAX-LTO went off without a hitch.

elgatoloco - 8-3-2018 at 03:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Looks like todays flight from LAX-LTO went off without a hitch.

I'm guessing they had a nice smooth landing and run-out. :saint::lol:

JZ - 8-3-2018 at 03:44 PM

What a cluster ***.

AKgringo - 8-3-2018 at 03:58 PM

I can understand Alaska Airlines not wanting to land on a freshly oiled runway. I can also understand the airport, and workers not wanting the plane to land before it was finished, hence the barrels and debris on the runway!

What is hard to understand, is why a scheduled flight was not notified of the work in progress!

Since they had enough fuel to return to LAX, circling until they got clearance to land at the non-international La Paz, or on to Los Cabos could be a risky choice.

[Edited on 8-3-2018 by AKgringo]

bajabuddha - 8-3-2018 at 04:27 PM

Ees Mehico, senyores.

Tickles me pink hearing gringos say, ".....you'd THINK~!".....

David K - 8-3-2018 at 05:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by danaeb  

La Paz hasn't had any direct international flights for years. They no longer have an INM desk to process incoming international travelers.

[Edited on 8-3-2018 by danaeb]

Ok, news indeed... It is officially called: Manuel Márquez de León International Airport :
24° 4' 21" N / 110° 21' 43" W

bonanza bucko - 8-10-2018 at 04:18 PM

Well....Mexico is Mexico and the people who oil the runways don't care if a airliner full of paying tourists makes it in there or not. Can you imagine a barrel in the middle of LAX or SFO? In Mexico that is OK....up here it ain't! :-)

I flew my Bonanza to Mexico...Baja....mostly for thirty years and that kind of problem was common. Loreto also had kind of a bad reputation for "morbid" demands although that may have gotten better recently.

Most if not all of the people who work on airports in Mexico have utterly no idea what an airplane needs to land and/or stay safe.

BigBearRider - 8-12-2018 at 02:20 AM

This really is pretty amazing.