BajaNomad

NOCO GB40 Starter/Charger

John Harper - 8-4-2018 at 02:04 PM

On my recent flyfishing trip to Idaho, I stupidly left my truck's radio on too long (never done that before, but I forgot my portable!!) and it reached a point where all the power shut down. I asked a nearby camper for a jump, but he had a portable starter/charger instead that got my truck going almost instantly. It made me realize that jumper cables are useless without another vehicle. I often park at remote trailheads and coming back to a dead battery would be problematic at best.

Been looking at the NOCO GB40 for use with my V6 3.0 Ford Ranger, seems to have good reviews and probably a good idea to bring along on my road trips.

Anyone carry something like this? Seems like a good addition to a road kit.

John

[Edited on 8-4-2018 by John Harper]

chippy - 8-4-2018 at 02:57 PM

I just checked it out on amazon. Looks good to me. The size to power ratio is awesome. Thanks for the idea.

del mar - 8-4-2018 at 03:27 PM

I had no idea these have gotten so compact, very cool!:coolup:

https://jumpstarter.io/best-jump-starters/

TMW - 8-4-2018 at 03:35 PM

I have the Micro-Start XP-10 and it works great. I'm sure the NOCO GB40 will work just as good.

BornFisher - 8-4-2018 at 03:43 PM

I`ve had one about a year. Love it as a phone charger and it can start my FJ Cruiser. Can`t tell you which one I have, my son is borrowing it for the next week.

John Harper - 8-4-2018 at 03:46 PM

I've had a lithium battery in my Sportster for almost 4 years now, never hesitates and instant cranking power. Also, only weighs 3 pounds versus 14 for my old lead acid type. Very impressed with modern power storage!!!

I'm definitely going to carry one of these in my truck! You never know, I had a battery up and die at work a few years ago and got another teacher to jump my truck, but that might not always be available.

John

PaulW - 8-4-2018 at 07:40 PM

Any with a Lion battery will start you vehicle with a low batt. Look at the reviews on Amazon

Hook - 8-4-2018 at 07:52 PM

Looks interesting but the 1000 "amp" capacity is surely not CCAs, right?

I cant see this thing turning over a Cummins or Navistar engine. Or can it?

LancairDriver - 8-4-2018 at 08:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

Yes, it can turn over large Diesel engines. A friend has a large farming operation on the Oxnard plain in California and he clued me in on the capabilities of these compact power units they regularly use in their operation on large equipment awhile back. I now carry one on my boat and other vehicles. Impressive development of a very compact power supply.

PaulW - 8-5-2018 at 06:03 AM

Experience
My buddy with a fab shop has one he bought several years ago, before the latest high power ones you all are looking at. His method is to hook up the thing to a customer diesel truck that would not crank - let it do its thing for about 5 minutes then start the truck. Success every time he needed to use it. Now I have one of the new designs in all my rigs. Compare cost vs amps after reading the reviews - then buy one for each rig.
After a year of storage in the back of my rig I hooked it up to charge it and withing 5 minutes the thing was fully charged. What that means to me is the Lion battery had not discharged much during that time.
My son in law has started 4 dead cars (not diesel) without recharging the thing and it worked every time.
Amazing technology.
BTW, with a tire plug kit and a battery powered compressor along with the jump start device you will be set for travel in the boondocks. Be prepared.

chippy - 8-5-2018 at 10:55 AM

The gb40 was good up to a 3.0 litre diesel or a gas v8. NOCO makes more powerfull models for larger diesel motors.

Hook - 8-5-2018 at 11:00 AM

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around a battery source that can supposedly start a large diesel engine, yet is recharged by a USB charger? How long does that take? Four weeks?

This must not be the conventional USB chargers used for electronics, I am thinking?

del mar - 8-5-2018 at 11:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

Extras like USB ports and a flashlight are really handy as you can use this booster pack to charge your iPhone or tablet several times. On the downside, this portable jump starter doesn’t come with its own wall outlet charger so needs to be charged from either a 12V car charger or USB. You can find a more-expanded version of the review of the NOCO GB40 here along with a great video showing its capabilities.

TMW - 8-5-2018 at 12:07 PM

Extras like USB ports and a flashlight are really handy as you can use this booster pack to charge your iPhone or tablet several times. On the downside, this portable jump starter doesn’t come with its own wall outlet charger so needs to be charged from either a 12V car charger or USB. You can find a more-expanded version of the review of the NOCO GB40 here along with a great video showing its capabilities.

There are USB devices that plug into a 110v wall outlet. just put one with the GB40.

Hook - 8-5-2018 at 12:37 PM

Of course there are. We all get one when we buy a cell phone. But it's like 5.2v@2-4amp. These must be very different.

What is the charge rate in amps at what voltage? This is probably not an inexpensive charger.

Can you use a conventional 12v car charger if you can adapt down to a USB plug?

TMW - 8-5-2018 at 01:21 PM

The wall outlet charger for my Micro-Start XP-10 is only 15 volts at 1 amp. So they probably don't want you doing a fast charge on the battery.

del mar - 8-5-2018 at 01:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
The wall outlet charger for my Micro-Start XP-10 is only 15 volts at 1 amp. So they probably don't want you doing a fast charge on the battery.

they claim any usb port including a laptop, somewhere around 500mA......they don't say how long though.
cool gizmo for a hundred bucks, beats lugging an extra battery around like I do

MMc - 8-5-2018 at 04:26 PM

I have the Micro-Start XP-10 Consumer reports called it the best at the time.(2years ago) I love it. I charge it off the 110 at home and it is good to go. I always recharge before I go, so I don't know how long they stat charged.

basautter - 8-5-2018 at 05:50 PM

I started using lithium batteries in my dirt bikes. Very light and they don't self discharge like lead acid. I have had them sit for 6 months and start a bike, no problem. Perfect for a backup battery. I would recommend packing them so they are isolated from excessive shock and vibration. If they fail it can result in a dangerous situation.

After reviewing the specs for the NOCO GB40, I just ordered one for my boat! Much lighter than carrying an extra battery, and costs about the same :bounce::bounce:

[Edited on 8-6-2018 by basautter]

bajaric - 8-5-2018 at 06:03 PM

Hard to believe that something so small can jump start a vehicle but it sounds like they work! I had a "Truck Pac" jump starter, super heavy rechargeable lead acid batteries with heavy duty cables, that thing really cranked out some power but after about five years it lost its mojo.

Desertbull - 8-5-2018 at 06:12 PM

I have several NOBO’s, one in each truck and I use the GB40 model for my BMW GSA Moto. I’ve used it for others in the Arctic over 3 months and never recharged it until I got back home to So Cal. Thumbs up for the NOBO units.

KurtG - 8-5-2018 at 06:16 PM

I have this generic unit purchased on ebay for under $30.00. Looks just like the one my buddy paid $75 for. On my Baja trip in March I had occasion to use it when the battery in my Explorer died when driving from Ensenada to San Felipe. It instantly started the 4 liter V6 motor and I then continued to San Felipe where I got a new battery at Auto Zone. BTW, the Auto Zone computer was linked to the US one and showed my account with them. I bought this little battery pack to carry when motorcycling but now make sure it is along in whichever vehicle I am using.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/322518275825?var=&hash=item4b17...

John Harper - 8-5-2018 at 06:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
BTW, with a tire plug kit and a battery powered compressor along with the jump start device you will be set for travel in the boondocks. Be prepared.

Yes, I always carry those plus tools, etc. Looks like a no brainer to carry one.

That $30 model might be a great Xmas present for my roommate. I'll probably go with the NOCO, burn some Amazon points.

John

[Edited on 8-6-2018 by John Harper]

mtgoat666 - 8-5-2018 at 07:42 PM

I have need to jump a car maybe once every 3+ years. I can’t imagine this Li battery would last 3 years in a hot car without catching fire. Battery problems are so rare, it seems like a frivolous purchase.
Those of you with frequent dead batteries need to take better care, or perhaps you need AAA, eh?

Hook - 8-5-2018 at 09:06 PM

"Hello, AAA? Yeah, I'm south of Catavina, near the turnoff to Santa Rosalillita. How soon can you come get me?" :rolleyes:

PaulW - 8-6-2018 at 06:35 AM

Hi Goat,
We don't get much help from AAA in Baja. There are more things that cause a battery to be discharged than just an old battery. Things happen.

However you are sure correct battery failures are pretty rare - except for those of us that go camping with a DC refrigerator plugged in. Sigh.
==== ===

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I have need to jump a car maybe once every 3+ years. I can’t imagine this Li battery would last 3 years in a hot car without catching fire. Battery problems are so rare, it seems like a frivolous purchase.
Those of you with frequent dead batteries need to take better care, or perhaps you need AAA, eh?

John Harper - 8-6-2018 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

You're a mountain biker, aren't you? Ever park at a remote trailhead, perhaps without cell phone reception? I do lots of backcountry fishing, so remote trailheads are routine for me.

1. You can carry a sat phone/In Reach/Spot X and (maybe) call AAA ($$$$$)

2. You can call your credit card company for roadside assistance that is less than a yearly AAA membership. It's $50 for a service call on my Amazon card vs. $75 for AAA membership.

3. You can carry a charger/starter and save at least $50 and the cost of a sat phone.

Number 3 seems best option for me. You can also charge your phone, in case it's battery died while hiking/biking and your car battery is dead when you get back to the trailhead.

The Shorai lithium battery on my Sportster has not caught fire after almost 4 years of use. I think most the fires are related to overcharging or keeping them on the charger for extended periods. I have not heard any reports of these lithium chargers catching fire, have you?

John

AKgringo - 8-6-2018 at 11:05 AM

The airlines don't want them in the cargo hold. Samsung had quite a run of combustible phones as well.

Here is the first FAA link I found; https://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/pdf/systems/May15Meeting/Lyon-05...

starter

cobra - 8-6-2018 at 02:31 PM

i have owned a noco gb40 for a year and works great, just a few days ago started
a light tower at my job (construction site) have only charged it twice

Don Pisto - 8-6-2018 at 02:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by cobra  
i have owned a noco gb40 for a year and works great, just a few days ago started

and what method do you use to charge it?

John Harper - 8-6-2018 at 04:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
Quote: Originally posted by cobra  

and what method do you use to charge it?

They charge using a standard USB connector. I believe they can take 2.1A so if you have an adaptive charger, it will charge faster. I guess charge time depends on how depleted the battery is.

I believe the NOCO has a power switch, where cheaper models may not, so if you have the battery clamps plugged in, do not touch them together!

John

caj13 - 8-8-2018 at 04:56 PM

I ended up with the gooloo unit 1000 amp. that thing jump started my pickup with a 454 in it when the battery was stone cold dead, 5 or 6 times in a row when I was having electrical issues and a long way from home. reviews similar to the noco I believe. the gooloo came in a nice hard sided zipper carrying case.

and yes they are not allowed on the airlines IN CHECKED lugage, but they are allowed in a carry on. when I to retrieve my land rover from across the country, that was a vitral part of my survivial kit. TSA looked it it, gave it the thumbs up, allowed it to pass!

[Edited on 8-8-2018 by caj13]

Akula - 8-18-2018 at 09:35 PM

I have a GB40 and I believe with all of the electronics that we carry around now these are a great thing to have in a vehicle. I have used it twice to jump start vehicles and it has performed very well. It also gets used a lot for topping up cell phones or tablets. I did a bunch of research online and the NOCO brand gets good reviews all the time. They have many different sizes so it's good to look at what you will be using it most for and buy the right size for your needs.

John Harper - 8-19-2018 at 06:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Akula  
I have a GB40 and I believe with all of the electronics that we carry around now these are a great thing to have in a vehicle. I have used it twice to jump start vehicles and it has performed very well. It also gets used a lot for topping up cell phones or tablets. I did a bunch of research online and the NOCO brand gets good reviews all the time. They have many different sizes so it's good to look at what you will be using it most for and buy the right size for your needs.

I should have bought one two weeks ago. My battery died completely in my truck last week, luckily at home in the garage.

Tried to use my regular battery charger, but I guess whoever borrowed it last dropped it and it shorted out when I plugged it in. Borrowed neighbor's car to go buy a new battery. Took the charger apart and found two wires disconnected (power wires!) Apparently someone carried it by the cord, or dropped it, or both. I think it's fixed now, and have a new battery in the truck. GB40 next purchase on the list.

John

caj13 - 8-29-2018 at 04:11 PM

left my lights on in my land Rover this morning - (3.9 litre V-8) well, I thought I turned em off, but I flipped the switch the wrong way. 6 hours later - battery dead as a doornail!

Pulled out the gooloo (1000 w) - been sitting in the vehicle in the sun and heat of central california for over 6 months (inside a hard side carry case)

clipped the clamps to the battery, plugged in the fitting, turned on the unit - it said 100% power -
jumped in the truck - fired right up - like nobodys business.

went out and pulled the unit - now only 97% charged - crud - at this rate I will only get 30 starts before I have to charge it again!

bottom line, spend the money to get the breand name units - they hold charges for a long time, and can fire up alot of vehicles!

John Harper - 8-29-2018 at 06:19 PM

I bought a NOCO GB40 charger (only $3 net, after some Amazon points!) right after I replaced my battery. It was on a special deal for only $78 so I could not pass it up. Going to Yuma for dove season opener and who knows, I might have to help someone else out there in the heat. Hell of a place to have a dead battery.

John

DavidT - 11-26-2018 at 09:18 AM

NOCO GB40

Deal of the day on Amazon

PaulW - 11-30-2018 at 02:50 PM

I read the report of a GB40 that was dead when the writer went to use it.
Is there any way to find out is the thing is dead before it is needed?
I suppose regular charging is the only thing I can think of.

Hook - 12-1-2018 at 05:37 AM

I'm not seeing anything that claims it will start a 7.3 liter diesel engine. Is one out there?

John Harper - 12-1-2018 at 06:50 AM

I read the report of a GB40 that was dead when the writer went to use it.
Is there any way to find out is the thing is dead before it is needed?
I suppose regular charging is the only thing I can think of.

When you turn it on, there are 4 charge indicator lights. Of course, there are probably no sure fire guarantees it's going to work. Like anything else.

John

SunDevil - 12-1-2018 at 06:53 AM

NOCO Genius Boost Pro GB150 4000 Amp is Designed for both gas and diesel engines up to 10+ Liters. $300 on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB150-UltraSafe-Lithium-Starter/...

There are a few online buying guides like the ones below.

https://bestfordriver.com/jump-starters/best-jump-starter-fo...

https://www.lifewire.com/best-portable-jump-starters-4140286

PaulW - 12-1-2018 at 07:06 AM

I'm not seeing anything that claims it will start a 7.3 liter diesel engine. Is one out there?

===
I decided to take a chance on a G40 because unless the truck batteries are totally gone probably all that is needed is a little help for the low batteries. And the next size larger is way expensive.
The last time I needed to replace my 7.3 batts I got no start. No jump start so I took the batts to the batt store and when tested they told me they were low, but not totally gone. I bought 2 new ones and took them home and installed. Since then I keep my batts on that truck on a maintainer. Yup, now I have G40 for that truck.
1000 amps is quite a bit of help. Like others have recommended hook up the G40 for a period of time then try to start. That method worked for me when I let my car batts get pretty low. We waited 5 minutes and it was good.

DaliDali - 12-1-2018 at 01:33 PM

With a dual 12v battery setup (Dodge Cummins 5.9) if a batt charger is hooked up to one of them, will the charging current also make it's way to the 2nd?

PaulW - 12-1-2018 at 03:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  
With a dual 12v battery setup (Dodge Cummins 5.9) if a batt charger is hooked up to one of them, will the charging current also make it's way to the 2nd?

====
Absolutely. They are connected in parallel. The result is 12v to the truck. When you charge the batteries or connect to a maintainer we just connect to one battery.

DaliDali - 12-1-2018 at 04:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  

====
Absolutely. They are connected in parallel. The result is 12v to the truck. When you charge the batteries or connect to a maintainer we just connect to one battery.

Thank you....

ReTire - 12-30-2018 at 12:21 PM

I have the xp-10. Will start a diesel. Picked one up after being gone on a trip. Wife’s Subaru has an electric parking brake. Guess what? You can’t release it without juice. Was parked nosed up to a fence, dint have enough jumper cables to reach. As soon as I connected the xp I saw the problem....dome light had been left on.