BajaNomad

Immigration check

Pages:  1  2

bajalinda - 9-22-2018 at 03:17 PM

The questions were "Where are you from?" and "Please show me your immigration document."

David K - 9-22-2018 at 03:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I have been asked for an ID before, along with "Where are you coming from, where are you going". I have not been asked for a passport or FMM yet, but I always expect it.

Do you know just what they were asking for now?

When asked for ID it was to assist with spelling my name at the checks where they were really bored and were writing down names and car models and years. I have never been asked for FMM at any military check.

AKgringo - 9-22-2018 at 04:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajalinda  
The questions were "Where are you from?" and "Please show me your immigration document."

Good to know that, thank you for posting!

mtgoat666 - 9-22-2018 at 04:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

I have never been asked for FMM at any military check.

That is perhaps irrelevant information, as many other people report that they have been asked.

PaulW - 9-22-2018 at 05:30 PM

Goat, I do not believe that. The only time it happens would be if the Migration guy was present. Of course I only have 15 years of experience, so maybe other have been in Baja longer and have more experience?

Immigration check

Whiskey Witch - 9-22-2018 at 06:16 PM

We drove from Tecate to La Paz, Sept. 18-19. At none of the checkpoints were we asked to present our FMMs nor any other form of identification.

billklaser - 9-22-2018 at 07:42 PM

After driving in Baja for 30 years, I also have never been asked for immigration documents at a military stop.

bajalinda - 9-22-2018 at 08:30 PM

As noted in my original post back on page 5, the officials at the check point north of La Paz yesterday were INM (Inmigracion) gov't officials. Not military. We have been living here for 17 years and either Rob or I or both of us go through this check point on average once a week when we go to La Paz on errands and the officials at the check point are usually army or police and they have never asked for immigration documents. Yesterday it was immigration agents asking for immigration documents. Hope that's clear.

[Edited on 9-23-2018 by bajalinda]

David K - 9-22-2018 at 08:36 PM

Thanks for confirming they were not military. Pretty sad that they wait until you are almost 900 miles south before checking. That's a long drive to go back to the border to aquire one! ;)
Of course, being informed Nomads, none of us would have had to go back!

TMW - 9-23-2018 at 09:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Whiskey Witch  
We drove from Tecate to La Paz, Sept. 18-19. At none of the checkpoints were we asked to present our FMMs nor any other form of identification.

I have been asked to produce my drivers license at some of the military checks . They would write down my drivers licence number and the truck license number and what kind of vehicle but never my FMM papers.

weebray - 9-23-2018 at 10:00 AM

Just as it crossing the border there are no absolutes here. Generally speaking you will never be asked for immigration documents except when dealing with a governmental agency.....BUT an unlucky few are. Flying in or out everyone has to have papers.

Howard - 9-23-2018 at 10:38 AM

As Willie said "much ado about nothing."

What am I missing here? It's the law to be documented and what is the problem with the authorities asking for your documentation?

For me they have always been polite and it takes a matter of moments of ones day.

Just abide by the rules and if you don't like the rules, don't come.

willardguy - 9-23-2018 at 10:59 AM

half a dozen pages ago Ralph simply commented that FFM's were being checked south of ensenada, nothing more nothing less. hopefully folks that in the past haven't bothered stopping for one.....will.;)

John Harper - 9-23-2018 at 11:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
What am I missing here? It's the law to be documented and what is the problem with the authorities asking for your documentation?

Exactly. I wonder if you were a Mexican citizen without US documentation and got stopped in the US? Think you'd be allowed to drive back to the border (with your boat and kids?) to get the proper paperwork? Somehow, I don't think so.

John

[Edited on 9-23-2018 by John Harper]

SFandH - 9-23-2018 at 12:02 PM

I'm going to jump out the window if I read one more post saying IT'S THE LAW!

Well, no chit cherlock.

All the hubbub is due to the fact that the law was never enforced and now it is being enforced.

It's Sunday, hang up your Dudley Do-right uniforms for the day.

Jeez

[Edited on 9-23-2018 by SFandH]

John Harper - 9-23-2018 at 12:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

You can't do that, suicide is illegal!

John

SFandH - 9-23-2018 at 01:06 PM

That does it, look out below!

mtgoat666 - 9-23-2018 at 01:06 PM

Thanks for confirming they were not military. Pretty sad that they wait until you are almost 900 miles south before checking. That's a long drive to go back to the border to aquire one!

Law is not based on distance. Just because you drove 900 miles does not mean you get a free pass!

By the way, in USA the ICE enforces iimigration law without giving people a free pass if they are a long distance inside the border.

Howard - 9-23-2018 at 01:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

What floor? :biggrin:

David K - 9-23-2018 at 03:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Thanks for confirming they were not military. Pretty sad that they wait until you are almost 900 miles south before checking. That's a long drive to go back to the border to aquire one!

Law is not based on distance. Just because you drove 900 miles does not mean you get a free pass!

By the way, in USA the ICE enforces iimigration law without giving people a free pass if they are a long distance inside the border.

Correct on the distance part, but you are way off on your ICE addition. The American tourist 900 miles inside Mexico crossed the border freely and legally at an open border crossing. They are also there to spend money supporting Mexican families and are greatly welcomed in Baja by its citizens.

bajalinda - 10-20-2018 at 08:27 AM

Just a quick heads-up reminder. Yesterday and again a week ago, an INM agent was asking for documentation at the check point north of La Paz. Not a problem for us because we always carry our IDs. FWIW, the agent said INM would have an agent there til the end of the month. Interpret that as you will...

My intention here is NOT to start another "it's the law" discussion, but merely to inform. Save yourself a hassle and travel with your FMM or other appropriate document.

JoeJustJoe - 10-20-2018 at 08:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
As Willie said "much ado about nothing."

For me they have always been polite and it takes a matter of moments of ones day.

Just abide by the rules and if you don't like the rules, don't come.

I'm sick and tired of hearing this:

" Just abide by the rules and if you don't like the rules, don't come."

If this is the advise you want to follow then do so, but don't expect everybody to follow your advise, because many will laugh at you and your rules manta.

There are thousands of illegal Americans, in Mexico, and they don't care what the rules are.

I also don't care because it's none of my business, nor do I care if Mexicans are in the US, without paperwork.

There are thousands of Americans, that for whatever reason, do not have a passport, or passcard, but they come to Mexico anyway.

There are thousands of Americans, like me that spend most of their time in Mexico, within 100 miles of the border, and don't wast their time to get an FMM card, that nobody cares about if you have or not.

mtgoat666 - 10-20-2018 at 09:06 AM

In the USA the immigration checkpoints will arrest and deport anyone without papers. Mexico should do the same. Or perhaps let them stay in Mexico if they pay a 1000 usd fine for not carrying papers, eh? Mexico could make some good money if they went after all the Canadian and gringo illegals!

Barry A. - 2-2-2019 at 06:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
California DMV has a list of what you need:

A DMV field office visit is required to apply for a REAL ID card. Applicants should make an appointment and must be prepared with the following documents:

✔ Proof of Identity: Such as a certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate, a valid U.S. passport, employment authorization document, permanent resident card or foreign passport with an approved form I-94.

✔ Proof of Social Security Number: Such as a Social Security card, W-2, or paystub with full SSN.

✔ California Residency Document: Such as a rental agreement, mortgage bill, utility bill, medical, employment or school document.

✔ Name Change Document: This may be required if your identity document is different from the name on your application. Such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, other court document.

JoeJoe-------A week ago I went into the DMV here in Redding, CA with an appointment for a "Real ID" drivers license and had everything to prove who I was that the list asked for, plus more. They said my "certified copy of my birth cert." from a San Diego Hospital was not good enough, and turned me down. A month before that, my wife ran into the exact same problem, and was turned down! Infuriating, so say the least.

Barry A. - 2-2-2019 at 08:00 PM

I did have with me a 1 year expired PassPort, my Fed. Law Enforcement ID and badge (still valid), my SS card, my Commercial Pilots license (still valid), my valid CA drivers License, my latest utility bill and Medicare monthly reports, AND the "certified copy of my birth cert.". It was the birth cert. that they gave me problems over, even tho the certification itself was obviously not a copy. Yep, it was because we were Republicans, for sure. (-: CA is enemy territory now, I guess.

[Edited on 2-5-2019 by BajaNomad]

caj13 - 2-2-2019 at 09:44 PM

actually Barry,
I just got my enhanced ID from California a few weeks ago. The instructions on the paperwork I needed was very clear, certified "COPY" is acceptable - but: according to Ca. certified copy is: "A certified copy of a birth certificate has an official state registrar's raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar's signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office, which must be within one year of the person's date of birth. " so I don't think you get it from the hospital you were born in, you get it from the county.
I used my passport, as was indicated in the instructions as acceptable.

But my question to you is: if a "certified copy" of the birth certificate did not work for your wife - why would you think it would work for you?

BTW 4 different people checked my paperwork, and a supervisor had to sign off, I guess to limit the potential of a rouge employee enhancing his salary !

mtgoat666 - 2-2-2019 at 10:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

A DMV field office visit is required to apply for a REAL ID card. Applicants should make an appointment and must be prepared with the following documents:

✔ Proof of Identity: Such as a certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate, a valid U.S. passport, employment authorization document, permanent resident card or foreign passport with an approved form I-94.

✔ Proof of Social Security Number: Such as a Social Security card, W-2, or paystub with full SSN.

✔ California Residency Document: Such as a rental agreement, mortgage bill, utility bill, medical, employment or school document.

✔ Name Change Document: This may be required if your identity document is different from the name on your application. Such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, other court document.

JoeJoe-------A week ago I went into the DMV here in Redding, CA with an appointment for a "Real ID" drivers license and had everything to prove who I was that the list asked for, plus more. They said my "certified copy of my birth cert." from a San Diego Hospital was not good enough, and turned me down. A month before that, my wife ran into the exact same problem, and was turned down! Infuriating, so say the least.

Don’t get mad. Just bring the proper paperwork. Hospitals do not issue “certified” birth certs.
A certified birth certificate is obtained from the county, NOT the hospital.
The birth certs issued by hospital are not official govt documents.

Barry A. - 2-2-2019 at 11:20 PM

Well, my "certified copy" hospital birth cert. worked for getting my Pass Port 11 years ago, so I assumed it was all I ever needed. .

My wife's "certified copy" birth Cert. came from the Country of her birth in Wisconsin, but it looked flaky even to me and they simply would not except it, even tho she did get a Pass Port with it many years ago. I thought my birth cert. would work since it worked for getting my Pass Port in the past, and it is the only one I have ever had, and in addition I had all those other ID's which I thought would surely prove that I was a citizen.

We both now are in the process of applying and getting renewed Pass Ports, and we will see it that will work for us. It's all pretty frustrating, and getting expensive to boot.

David K - 2-2-2019 at 11:51 PM

Barry, you are double posting... Click edit then delete the duplicates if you wish.

Now, about your birth certificate issues... You need to order the certified one from the county, not the hospital. It's an easy online procedure. Better do it before some illegal orders yours first! Isn't that sad?

John Harper - 2-3-2019 at 08:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
I guess to limit the potential of a rouge employee enhancing his salary !

Is this the guy in the rouge golf cart that took out Malcolm Smith?

John

Barry A. - 2-3-2019 at 09:56 AM

I did get the regular drivers license (not the "Real ID"), as did my wife. The State "fees", which used to be covered with our taxes, are a nuisance, but you are right in that I can afford them. As you said, after 2020 rolls around we all will need a passport or "Real ID" if we are to fly at all, even domestically, as I understand it. My wife and I need passports since we can't seem to get a "Real ID" from the liberal CA authorities. So annoying!!!! I was born in San Diego County, and that is a very long way from far N. CA where I live, so getting a new birth cert. in person is probably not going to happen. Again, very annoying!!

Nice talking to you, and thanks for the advice.

[Edited on 2-5-2019 by BajaNomad]

norte - 2-3-2019 at 10:06 AM

Barry, you do understand that the real ID requirement originated with the GOP in an attempt to harness what they considered illegal immigration.

bajatrailrider - 2-3-2019 at 10:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

Don’t get mad. Just bring the proper paperwork. Hospitals do not issue “certified” birth certs.
A certified birth certificate is obtained from the county, NOT the hospital.
The birth certs issued by hospital are not official govt documents.
JAAA advice from a stupid tourist with red hair Don't get my mad:bounce:

Barry A. - 2-3-2019 at 11:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Barry, you do understand that the real ID requirement originated with the GOP in an attempt to harness what they considered illegal immigration.

I do understand, Norte, and I think it is a good policy. What I don't understand is the DMV employees not following their own instructions as to what is acceptable in proving you are a citizen. I think that is petty and vindictive, and the clerk sheepishly admitted that when challenged nicely by me!!! I know, and told her, that I realize it is not her fault.

Pages:  1  2