BajaNomad

Best Baja Coolers

BajaHawk - 8-10-2018 at 08:29 AM

I have seen a lot of high-end coolers in Baja lately. My friend got a fancy one from Cabela's. I felt menos de...so I acted in order to fit in.
Truth be told, I borrowed the Cabelas cooler on a trip to LA Bay.WOW! That thing is amazing.

cooler.jpg - 100kB

[Edited on 8-10-2018 by BajaHawk]

Timinator - 8-10-2018 at 10:10 AM

Good to know, thanks for the update. I'm really impressed with that new like of YETI's! Keeping everything cold in Baja has always been a chore since I started going there in the early 80's. Finally, I bought a camper then a motorhome with a propane fridge. That was a big ooooooh with everybody! I build a wind generator that mounted to a pole that went into my receiver hitch that kept the batteries topped off so we could run 12v fans all night, take showers, lights, etc. We was styling!

TMW - 8-10-2018 at 10:42 AM

I've got two Canyon coolers, a 35qt and 55qt. I've had block ice last 7 days before I emptied it out. I've also heard good things about YETI.

mojo_norte - 8-10-2018 at 11:01 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3l47v7fw3s

tons of other tests if you Google

chippy - 8-10-2018 at 01:02 PM

RTIC. Great cooler at a reasonable price.
https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/coolers/roto-molded/RTIC-45...

MMc - 8-10-2018 at 06:37 PM

I have 2 Maluna and a Pelican. I really like the Maluna's. None of the "Super Coolers" are cheap, but they do keep stuff cool for a long time.
https://www.maluna.com/
The support is the best.

Skipjack Joe - 8-10-2018 at 08:16 PM

Use block ice and you'll double your time.

elgatoloco - 8-10-2018 at 08:56 PM

Baja burro proven

YetiBurro.JPG - 38kB

mtgoat666 - 8-10-2018 at 09:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

1 lb cubes has same specific heat capacity as 1 lb block. Just saying. It’s basic physics.

hombre66 - 8-10-2018 at 09:38 PM

Home made mylar insulation cozy gets me 2 xtra days out of my ice from the steel belted Coleman 56. Cut your tops and sides to fit and laminate with...yep, duct tape. Add layers for longer cool time.

MMc - 8-11-2018 at 05:42 AM

Block have less surface, they melt slower. It's basic physics.
Have you ever remote camped in Baja?

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

1 lb cubes has same specific heat capacity as 1 lb block. Just saying. It’s basic physics.

Skipjack Joe - 8-11-2018 at 06:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
Block have less surface, they melt slower. It's basic physics.
Have you ever remote camped in Baja?

Exactly!

What melts ice? - warmer air.

How does air contact ice? - on it's surface.

How many sides does an ice cube have? - 6

How many sides of an ice cube embedded in a block on it's surface is exposed? - 1

How many sides of an ice cube embedded within a block is exposed? - 0

Ergo: An ice cube melts 6+ times as fast as a block of ice.

David K - 8-11-2018 at 08:34 AM

I can tell you from a lifetime of camping in Baja, blocks last the longest, far longer than crushed or cube ice. There is less air and more ice using a large block vs. a thousand tiny 'blocks' (ie cubes). We do get crushed ice for the beer chest, maybe with a block in there, too. Overall, colder beers in camp.

What I was surprised at when doing a test on one hot Baja trip is that draining the melted ice out does not help the ice last longer unless you are on the move.

In camp, leave the melted water in with the ice (if it won't soak food). Side by side, draining vs leaving the water in there, the drained box ice vanished twice as fast! We use Tupperware style containers for all food so it won't get soaked.

However, if driving, the sloshing of the water speeds up the melt, so drain before you drive!

BajaMama - 8-11-2018 at 10:00 AM

I love my 12V fridge...

Skipjack Joe - 8-11-2018 at 11:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Side by side, draining vs leaving the water in there, the drained box ice vanished twice as fast!

Probably due to opening and closing the ice chest repeatedly to drain the chest? Introducing warm air.

Even those spouts ice chests have introduce warm air, and they're not insulated. The YETIs and their copy cats have no spouts for that very reason (I suspect).

willardguy - 8-11-2018 at 11:27 AM

water is a better insulator than air

Paco Facullo - 8-11-2018 at 11:37 AM

The BEST Baja cooler, you ask ??????

The one's filled with icy-cold Pacifico's of course .:bounce:

Skipjack Joe - 8-12-2018 at 10:43 AM

Why is this thread in the photo gallery forum?

woody with a view - 8-12-2018 at 11:03 AM

Because the rentals forum gets so little use?

Bob and Susan - 8-12-2018 at 11:04 AM

actually cubes get the beer cooler faster...more surface area

block lasts longer

they do not cool the same

the BEST ice is shaved on top...as it melts it forms a block and the stuff inside stays cooler longer under the block (fish for example)

David K - 8-12-2018 at 11:43 AM

Because the OP just wanted to show off a photo of his "poor man's" Yeti ice chest photo... Then in typical Nomad fashion, we all began adding our opinions and discoveries! :lol::coolup:

John Harper - 8-12-2018 at 02:30 PM

If you have spare water, putting a white towel over the cooler and soaking it REALLY keeps the ice from melting. I have to agree with DK on block ice and leaving the water in the cooler.

These rotomolded coolers are heavy! My cheap WM 35q does not have a drain, so I just have a HF transfer pump (with short hoses) so I can drain the cooler without having to empty and flip over (or even move it!). Also, I can save the water in a bucket to soak the towel after I get done. Been camping a long time and try to figure out how to utilize water best I can. Just my lazy man solution to draining a cooler and re-using the waste.

John

David K - 8-12-2018 at 04:03 PM

A wet tower is a great idea!!! Thank John... I hope to test that out. Maybe next summer, this summer has handed us a lot to deal with... including a new grandson!

JZ - 8-12-2018 at 04:06 PM

Typically we travel with 4 coolers on every trip.

Medium/large Coleman for water and Gatorade and mix for vodka.

Two Yettis. One for meat and cheese. One for seafood and/or extra ice.

A collapsible small Coleman that holds about 24 bottles. Use that to hold the beers we are drinking that day.

Paco Facullo - 8-12-2018 at 06:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

A collapsible small Coleman that holds about 24 bottles. Use that to hold the beers we are drinking that day.

Voted BEST use of coolers in all of Baja !

mtgoat666 - 8-12-2018 at 07:22 PM

You got suckered into buying multiple yetis, wasting good money. The yeti competitors are cheaper, but just as good. Don’t get suckered by the advertising!

BornFisher - 8-12-2018 at 07:35 PM

I`ve heard that when Bill and Hillary travel together, Bill never needs a cooler. I wonder how he keeps everything so cold, even in hot Baja???

Paco Facullo - 8-12-2018 at 07:42 PM

And another bonus of having Hilary along you never have to worry about feral Dogs, Coyotes, No-see-um's, mosquitoes or Banditos ...

JZ - 8-12-2018 at 08:04 PM

You got suckered into buying multiple yetis, wasting good money. The yeti competitors are cheaper, but just as good. Don’t get suckered by the advertising!

Got them as gifts. Apparently the ppl buying them weren't poor and didn't need to buy knock-offs.

mtgoat666 - 8-12-2018 at 08:16 PM

Got them as gifts. Apparently the ppl buying them weren't poor and didn't need to buy knock-offs.

Some people have more money than sense.

Did your wife spend more on the coolers than her boob job?

pappy - 8-14-2018 at 10:09 AM

3 120 qt.Marine coolers (Coleman) one for food, one for drinks, one full of ice blocks / frozen bottled water... drink cooler uses combo of block and cubes...food all blocks. 7 days easy...

pappy - 8-14-2018 at 10:22 AM

3 120 qt.Marine coolers (Coleman) one for food, one for drinks, one full of ice blocks / frozen bottled water... drink cooler uses combo of block and cubes...food all blocks. 7 days easy...

BajaHawk - 8-17-2018 at 02:23 PM

Because it was inspired by a humerus image.

Bubba - 8-17-2018 at 03:42 PM

I can't believe I'm actually agreeing with you but you're correct, Yeti is way over priced and the consumer is beginning to see it.