BajaNomad

Not Baja - but Mickey Thompson car sets a record

John M - 8-13-2018 at 06:34 AM

I hope this link to a story I saw this morning works. Mickey's son Danny Thompson set a land speed record for a vehicle with piston driven engines in Mickey's old Challenger 2.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/08/13/danny-thompson-69-set...

John M

[Edited on 8-13-2018 by John M]

David K - 8-13-2018 at 07:58 AM

Nice!
Here is another video with Danny narrating. He mentions co-driving with his dad in Baja (I saw them there in 1975):

The 1975 Score Baja Internacional ("500") at Valle de Triinidad:

At Valle Trinidad checkpoint, world speed record holder and founder of SCORE, Mickey Thompson pulls up in his Chevy LUV truck with a rear/ bed mounted 454 V-8 engine. It utilized an Oldsmobile front wheel drive installed on the back.

Here's Mickey Thompson who was racing with his co-driver son, Danny (examining the wheel)

BajaTed - 8-13-2018 at 10:55 AM

Some how, some way; Danny T. is finding ways to move forward and honor his fathers legacy. Good on him for doing so.

BTW, two 2600 HP engines were used, one for each axle.

Cardon - 8-13-2018 at 12:10 PM

I was out at Speed Week two days ago and took this photo

David K - 8-13-2018 at 01:51 PM

Awesome!!!
Speaking of Speed Week, I just watched 'The World's Fastest Indian'... a great story!

fishbuck - 8-13-2018 at 02:26 PM

Wow!

My favorite movie of all time

thebajarunner - 8-13-2018 at 02:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Awesome!!!
Speaking of Speed Week, I just watched 'The World's Fastest Indian'... a great story!

We were at Bonneville for a week while they were making the film.
Movie people were total jerks, they really took over the place.
But the film is so much fun,
the ultimate "road trip" film
Anthony Hopkins said it was his favorite movie of his, all time!!

and during the week my partner Chuck got his homemade streamliner powered by a stock Ford SHO V6 up to 240 mph which put him solidly in the 200 mile per hour club.

David K - 8-13-2018 at 11:00 PM

Interesting... thanks for that!

caj13 - 8-14-2018 at 01:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Awesome!!!

great Movie, but the books is better, gives you alot more insight! called
"one good run, the legend of Burt Munro"

BTW I believe he set a record at bonneville when he was 68 yrs old, riding a 47 year old motorcycle, in the 1960s, and that record still holds!

wessongroup - 8-15-2018 at 11:16 AM

:):)

satmike - 8-15-2018 at 06:06 PM

I was at the 5 mile on Sunday when he did the backup run. What a sight at 450 mph.

advrider - 8-15-2018 at 06:28 PM

Cool story, did they ever convict the killer? I remember the story but not the out come. One of my all time favorite movies and now I need to find the book!

willardguy - 8-15-2018 at 06:34 PM

not bad for a 50 year old naturally aspirated car!:P

Convicted

John M - 8-15-2018 at 06:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Cool story, did they ever convict the killer? I remember the story but not the out come. One of my all time favorite movies and now I need to find the book!

Michael Goodwin, a former business associate, was convicted in the murder for hire of Mickey and Trudy Thompson. Goodwin appealed and the conviction was upheld, I think, around 2006. The actual killers have not been identified or gone to trial as far as I know.

Goodwin remains in prison.

A few years ago there was a sort of documentary on the arrest, trial, and conviction that showed how persistent Mickey's sister (whose name escapes me at the moment) was in the pursuit of the facts of the case and the subsequent conviction.

John M

thebajarunner - 8-15-2018 at 06:53 PM

Mockey's sister, Colleen, used to do the check-in for our race entry at the Bahia. Sal's wife sat next to her and they were a dynamic duo!