BajaNomad

To: You - from " The Queen of Soul"

caj13 - 8-14-2018 at 12:42 PM

Aretha, you asked for it, you got it - my respect forever!
God speed the Queen of Soul!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOUqQt3Kg0

and Otis, thanks for writing the gift that gives - forever

[Edited on 8-14-2018 by caj13]

Hook - 8-15-2018 at 03:25 PM

It doesnt sound good for her. A parade of well-known visitors making a pilgrimage to her bedside in Detroit, in the last few days.

I would have to say she was the greatest voice of my generation of the 60s and 70s. Ella Fitzgerald was still alive and recording, of course, but she belonged to a previous generation, really. Her best stuff was from the 40s and 50s.

Here is my favorite. Really, the song that made her famous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou2vVeRXO_s

SFandH - 8-15-2018 at 03:51 PM

She's in hospice care. Saw a video of her last night singing gospels in a church a long time ago. Absolutely fantastic, emotional.

[Edited on 8-16-2018 by SFandH]

bajabuddha - 8-15-2018 at 04:38 PM

Icon.
Leader.
Pioneer.
Superstar.
One of a kind.
The best, finest,
Most innovative, most prolific, most original artist of our time.

I grew up bee-boppin' to her incredible soul and singing.

None of us are getting out of here alive, we all have our time to come.

To Aretha, give them angels sumpin' to talk about.

Shine on, gurl.

chuckie - 8-15-2018 at 05:19 PM

AMEN!

Hubschraubear - 8-16-2018 at 07:31 AM

Aretha Franklin, the "queen of soul" who became the first woman inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, has died in Detroit at the age of 76. - R.I.P.
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-45169609

ENOUGH and TOO MUCH

MrBillM - 8-16-2018 at 09:28 AM

Jeez !

Some of her songs were good and some not, BUT ......................... the 6 a.m. news was dominated on the "cable" channels by HER, so was the 7 a.m. and it looked the same for the 8 a.m. so I did something I rarely do. Switch to L.A. news. Which started out with HER.

Forcing me to watch RT.

willardguy - 8-16-2018 at 09:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
Jeez !

Some of her songs were good and some not, BUT ......................... the 6 a.m. news was dominated on the "cable" channels by HER, so was the 7 a.m. and it looked the same for the 8 a.m. so I did something I rarely do. Switch to L.A. news. Which started out with HER.

Forcing me to watch RT.

must be awful to be sooo inconvenienced :(

Hook - 8-16-2018 at 10:13 AM

Jeez, Bill, cant you show a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T?

Bringing Out The Dead

MrBillM - 8-16-2018 at 11:15 AM

No Disrespect, BUT ............................. She was pretty much just an entertainer who (unlike others who used their fame in social/political activities and achievements) didn't make much impact outside her singing role.

Whatever. Thankfully, the news has finally moved on to "Omarosa, Brennan, etc". People and events that continue to make a difference.

Once one (anyone) is gone ...................... well, they're GONE.

Move ON.

CaboMagic - 8-17-2018 at 09:09 AM

I could not allow the last post to be the final one.

Aretha Franklin has our respect, this candle is for her.

memorial candle.jpg - 10kB

bajabuddha - 8-17-2018 at 09:25 AM

Aretha's music and her memory will live on and on and on...

Bile's posts will die.

And we'll move ON.

caj13 - 8-17-2018 at 12:06 PM

right, "just an Entertainer" , and Babe Ruth was just a baseball player.

BTW educate yourself,
she was very active in social justice roles her whole life,
she would go out and do concert tours to finance MLKs activities,
as well as innumerable other things she did to addrress social injustice.
If you don't have any idea what you are talking about,
perhaps it might be better to just be pizzed off in private!
No Disrespect, BUT ............................. She was pretty much just an entertainer who (unlike others who used their fame in social/political activities and achievements) didn't make much impact outside her singing role.

Whatever. Thankfully, the news has finally moved on to "Omarosa, Brennan, etc". People and events that continue to make a difference.

Once one (anyone) is gone ...................... well, they're GONE.

Move ON.

Great article on a great lady

thebajarunner - 8-17-2018 at 12:51 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/16/arts/music/respect-aretha...

Skipjack Joe - 8-17-2018 at 03:31 PM

R.I.P.E.C.T ?

Talking about using fame in social/political activities and achievements

Hubschraubear - 8-17-2018 at 05:07 PM

Aretha Franklin was a powerhouse vocalist, a Civil Rights icon, and one of the most successful female recording artists in music history.
These are just a few of the biggest career highlights for an imitable legend.

https://www.thestreet.com/lifestyle/aretha-franklin-career-a...

Lee - 8-17-2018 at 08:59 PM

Broke out Aretha's Gospel Greats. Amazing Grace never sounded so good. Saw her in '71 at the Fillmore West, San Francisco. RESPECT and Chain of Fools got a lot of air play, along with Martha and The Vandellas' Nowhere To Run, in Nam, '67. So many truly great songs.

caj13 - 8-18-2018 at 11:07 AM

Grew up in Detroit, saw her several times, man could she command a room!

really looking forward to the Tribute concert they are putting together!

Al Sharpton Says ...........................

MrBillM - 8-18-2018 at 09:18 PM

According to that great musical authority this a.m on MSNBC, Aretha was the "GREATEST (male or female) vocalist in HISTORY".

Take THAT Ella Fitzgerald, Lena Horne, Eartha Kitt and .................

WHO could argue with "Da Rev" ?

I would (perhaps) take exception to the various obligatory expressions of " ........her passing is a great loss to the world of music........"

Strictly speaking, she wasn't going to produce any further work.

CaboMagic - 8-19-2018 at 08:43 AM

MrBillM ¿Por qué no das un largo paseo desde un muelle muy corto?

RESPECT and Rest In Peace Aretha

Believe It.jpg - 28kB

NO Disrespect

MrBillM - 8-19-2018 at 10:27 AM

She WAS Good.

GREAT to some.

Beyond performing.

GONE forever.

Her work preserved for those who enjoy it.

She isn't among the HUNDREDS of singing dead guys and gals in my recordings inventory, but that's simply because I'm not into that "soulful" category. In her venue, she was an outstanding performer, although like too many artists (including greats like Sinatra and Fitzgerald), she (perhaps) kept going beyond the limits brought about by age.

Attempting to place her (or any artist, performer, sports figure) in a "greatest ever" historical perspective is silly.

But, inevitable.

BTW, I have quite a few various performances of "Amazing Grace". MY favorite of those is Joan Baez. Then, there's Judy Collins.

Skipjack Joe - 8-19-2018 at 05:58 PM

BTW, I have quite a few various performances of "Amazing Grace". MY favorite of those is Joan Baez. Then, there's Judy Collins.

I always suspected you were a softie. :lol::lol:

JohnGaltSpeaking - 8-19-2018 at 06:35 PM

why would we listen to anybody's opinion about singers that isn't into soul? if it isn't your kind of music, than what would you know about it? you have musicians, professional critics, and other artists who are literally saying that she is one of the greatest singers ever and yet you say otherwise? you sound like a child who says i don't like vegetables so vegetables suck. other singers, great singers say she was great, but you don't? hahaha. you may not like her because, well, who cares why you are messed up, but clearly she was great.

willardguy - 8-19-2018 at 06:42 PM

welcome to BajaOldmads.........they hate everything;)

JohnGaltSpeaking - 8-19-2018 at 06:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
welcome to BajaOldmads.........they hate everything;)

seems that way dude. WTF?!?! you would thinkg a BAJA forum would be super chill. knocking Aretha Franklin??? wow. i could understand not liking her (maybe) but saying she isn't good? forgot about personal, her sheer technical ability already puts her with the greats.

Got Soul ?

MrBillM - 8-19-2018 at 10:06 PM

No overall critique of the "Soul" music genre has been offered or have I said that the "recently gone gal" wasn't any good. We clearly have a miscommunication in that respect.

For the record, she was OK. Pretty Good, in fact, before age took its toll.

Everybody has an opinion and they all have the same value. Worth the price of admission and no more.

Except, of course, that I'm always right. Well, 99 percent, anyway.

BTW, it was only a short time ago that many of the same accolades being heard NOW were being expressed for Whitney Houston subsequent to her departure.

And, will be heard again someday for some other diva upon demise.

As to being a Soul Man, I was (am) a Ray Charles and The Supremes fan. I'm sure that there could be others. Maybe.

Otis Redding had that one song.

[Edited on 8-20-2018 by MrBillM]