BajaNomad

Movie making in San Ignacio!

BajaBlanca - 8-25-2018 at 10:06 PM

We went to San Ignacio the other day and ran into Juanita, so we had breakfast together. She told us that a Mexican movie company is making a movie about cocaine called POLVO (Powder). There is activity everywhere!

This will be one of the stores in the film, which is really nice since it has been closed for so long now.

rsz_corner.jpg - 140kB

This gentleman was making a sign for the billiard hall.

rsz_billar_movie_sign.jpg - 111kB

and today was going to be the hiring of all the extras, I bet that was a zoo!

rsz_1movie_extra_sign.jpg - 84kB

BajaMama - 8-26-2018 at 06:35 AM

I loved that store, I still have an unopened bottle of tequila in a glass art bottle from there. Was one of my go to shopping stops. Oh well, such is life after the recession.

bajabuddha - 8-26-2018 at 08:24 AM

I bought my first bottle of Damiana liqueur in that store many years ago... sorry to hear it went the way of the wind.

chuckie - 8-26-2018 at 08:49 AM

One of my all time favorite stores!

Skipjack Joe - 8-26-2018 at 09:00 AM

I love that corner. Lots of cool shadows and angles to work with.

IMG_2595_800px_nomads.jpg - 228kB

Skipjack Joe - 8-26-2018 at 09:10 AM

Doorway from left wall.

IMG_2594_psd1_800px.jpg - 172kB

David K - 8-26-2018 at 09:57 AM

Shopped in that store in 1985... it was like a general store that sold so many different items.

ncampion - 8-26-2018 at 11:17 AM

Boy, we were there on 8/23 and there was no activity at all, just the sleepy little town it usually is.

DianaT - 8-26-2018 at 12:04 PM

It has been a few years since we were in San Ignacio, but we loved that store! I wonder if the owner died? We really liked him and heard many stories about him and his history in San Ignacio.

Sad to see it closed. San Ignacio will always remain one of our favorite places.

motoged - 8-26-2018 at 12:09 PM

Sorry to see that that store had been closed, and happy that SI is getting a bit of a financial injection....hopefully.

Maybe tell the Military checkpoint believes that smuggling drugs is the real issue in town...;D

baja Steve - 8-26-2018 at 12:26 PM

The owner is old and not doing well. The son lives across the street and has opened it for several times so I could purches several items.

Marc - 8-26-2018 at 12:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
It has been a few years since we were in San Ignacio, but we loved that store! I wonder if the owner died? We really liked him and heard many stories about him and his history in San Ignacio.

Sad to see it closed. San Ignacio will always remain one of our favorite places.

Bought a hat there many years ago. Chatted with the owner about the history of some of the older buildings. He loved that old door.

Udo - 8-26-2018 at 03:02 PM

They used to sell some of the wares that were made in the Santa Rosalia prison.

BTW...on your way South, the prison store is a MUST stop. You won't believe what they have there to sell, and really inexpensive.

BajaBlanca - 8-26-2018 at 09:12 PM

Udo, do they have a store per se now? We went years ago because they make quite a few items from abalone, and I was interested to see it. The prisoners started to yell loudly holding various objects for us to buy. The ruckus was so loud and Les did not like it so I yelled out in Spanish....shut up or I won't be able to buy ANYTHING!

We ended up getting a wooden turtle that is gorgeous.

Now, getting back on topic, I thought I was the only one who really loves the corner store. I heard that the owner retired and no one in the family is really interested in continuing the business. We bought some great Mexican blankets there - if you visit us, they are on the single beds. They really keep one warm.

I have some more photos and will post them slowly but surely. Our internet has been abominable of late.

thebajarunner - 8-27-2018 at 01:39 PM

Long ago there was a single gas pump right on the corner point of that store. It was the old glass top model.

In the 1972 NORRA Mexican 1000 we got gas out of that pump.
NORRA provided gas back in the "good old days"

(Did I mention that we finished second in the pickup class? Yeah, probably mentioned it more than once on this board, it is still sweet)

David K - 8-27-2018 at 01:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Long ago there was a single gas pump right on the corner point of that store. It was the old glass top model.

In the 1972 NORRA Mexican 1000 we got gas out of that pump.
NORRA provided gas back in the "good old days"

(Did I mention that we finished second in the pickup class? Yeah, probably mentioned it more than once on this board, it is still sweet)

Oh man, I already packed that shelf, otherwise, I would have scanned the photo out of your book! In a couple weeks I will be unpacked at the new place.

BajaBlanca - 8-27-2018 at 07:58 PM

pump on the corner??!! wow

Yep!!

thebajarunner - 8-27-2018 at 08:44 PM

Right in front of the front door
In 1972 that was the key corner in town
Hmmmmm. Was there last month and still the key corner
Progress in San Ignacio moves at a measured pace

Don Jorge - 8-29-2018 at 07:36 AM

I heard that store was closed. Word on the street is the store closed due to lack of local business.

Apparently the sign on the front door scared everyone from San Ignacio away.

The sign said JALE. :lol::lol:

Juanita - 8-31-2018 at 06:16 AM

The set preparation team has 'erased' the painted lettering on the front of the Castro hardware store and other stores and restaurants around the plaza. The street pavement between the plaza and mission has been spray painted a dull grey. People who have been cast to participate are very energized. All ages, even the oldest residents will take part. One quiet, very studious and serious old farmer will play the c-ckfight manager!

[Edited on 9-3-2018 by Juanita]

Bob and jane - 8-31-2018 at 07:09 AM

Oh my, does this mean all the rooms in town are taken? We were planning on stopping there next Tuesday or Wednesday on our way home to Loreto....................

David K - 8-31-2018 at 09:56 AM

One trip in 2015, we arrived to find a wedding party had reserved the entire La Huerta hotel... The Desert Inn was way too pricey for us so we stayed at Ricardo's (Rice and Beans), which was not very nice for the (higher than La Huerta) price and included bugs on the floor.

The Baja Oasis Motel on the highway, just east of the town entrance road looks promising. There is also the old Hotel Posada, drive past the La Huerta, on the right. The Motel Fong is on the entrance road near Hwy. 1.

bajagregg - 9-2-2018 at 08:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  

Bought a hat there many years ago. Chatted with the owner about the history of some of the older buildings. He loved that old door.

bajagregg - 9-2-2018 at 08:36 PM

That place was a cool old school Baja general store. I bought a cool ranchero style had there some years ago. I still have the hat and wish the place was still open.

BajaBlanca - 9-3-2018 at 08:15 AM

Thanks Juanita for the update!

If you have a chance, could you take some photos of the main square activities? You can send them to me if you want.

JALE is the funniest thing I have heard in a while LOL

[Edited on 9-3-2018 by BajaBlanca]

Juanita - 9-3-2018 at 04:26 PM

In the plaza, the wheelchair ramps have disappeared, lower parts removed and upper parts covered with plywood. The newer electric meter boxes have had their metal parts covered with old metal and the street lights have been changed to yellow and boxed to leave shadows. San Ignacio is fading slowly back into the 1970's. This morning Jalisco sat waiting for a 'curtain call' to film a segment in the plaza and this afternoon the entry road was closed for filming.

As to accommodations, Hotel La Huerta is booked all month. Bonnie and Paul, the new Canadian owners of Ignacio Springs are keeping some rooms ready for travelers, Baja Oasis has rooms available, Desert Inn also has rooms, and Ricardo's Hotel, too.

BajaBlanca - 9-5-2018 at 08:15 AM

Thanks for the update, Juanita!

gueribo - 9-5-2018 at 09:10 PM

Keep us posted, Juanita!

I really loved that little store.

Bob and jane - 9-6-2018 at 02:07 PM

Juanita, thanks for the updates on hotels in San Ignacio. We ended up getting to San Ignacio early enough yesterday that we pushed on to Sta. Rosalia and stayed at El Morro. We had a swim in the pool, a drink on the patio, and dinner at the restaurant. And were home nice and early in Loreto today to unpack in the heat!
We still love La Huerta and San Ignacio. I'm sure we'll be back.

Juanita - 9-7-2018 at 08:41 PM

Filming tonight in front of Manuel Meza's first store, 'La Pasadita.' The actors are all Ignacianos.

I shouldn't have posted the picture of the scene in the film. Today they explained to me the scenes themselves are proprietary and I can certainly understand that. Guess it was destiny that the picture didn't post as I wanted anyway. Today they were filming in the streets around my block. Little boys were pulling packages of 'polvo' from my neighbor's tree. When the rain began, they opened umbrellas and kept on filming.

[Edited on 9-19-2018 by Juanita]