BajaNomad

Calexico/Mexicali border FMM

Mateo-Feo - 8-31-2018 at 11:31 PM

I am crossing south maƱana and heard that the Calexico crossing is under construction and the immigration office is hard to find. Any info on this? 2 crossings there and which is easier? Thanks, Mateo Feo

Pacifico - 9-1-2018 at 08:53 AM

First be sure to ask if the office has moved yet. If it hasn't, as you leave the new crossing stay to the left, you will see a road that goes left up a hill. Take that road and it will take you up to the old crossing and immigration office. There was plenty of room to park as of a few weeks ago. It's really close and easy!

sancho - 9-1-2018 at 09:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  
First be sure to ask if the office has moved yet. If it hasn't, as you leave the new crossing stay to the left, you will see a road that goes left up a hill. Take that road and it will take you up to the old crossing and immigration office.

Pacifico, You had to get back to the Imm office at the original
Mexicali West decades old crossing to get an fmm? One would
ASSUME they will move the office over, was wondering that

Pacifico - 9-1-2018 at 10:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  
First be sure to ask if the office has moved yet. If it hasn't, as you leave the new crossing stay to the left, you will see a road that goes left up a hill. Take that road and it will take you up to the old crossing and immigration office.

Pacifico, You had to get back to the Imm office at the original
Mexicali West decades old crossing to get an fmm? One would
ASSUME they will move the office over, was wondering that

Yes...exactly! They will be moving it I'm sure, just a matter of when. There are some nice new buildings there; maybe they already moved?

David K - 9-1-2018 at 12:02 PM

I read the Baja South Campos Facebook page and they seem to have good updates on the new crossing. No word yet that INM has moved to the new crossing.

They have been providing maps for the new route south from the new crossing. It looks to be longer with a couple of turns, but the word is that it has way less traffic and signals...

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Calzada+de+los+Presidentes,+...

Plus this hand-drawn one:

Mexicali 2018.jpg - 95kB

bajamary1952 - 9-2-2018 at 12:05 PM

Can you still use the "old" border crossing route. Some have said you have to go thru neighborhoods with new so not worth the trouble for me.

David K - 9-2-2018 at 12:19 PM

As others mention, turning left (uphill) as soon as you cross into Mexico will take you to the old crossing (where INM may still be). I thought the same, but folks who live south of San Felipe like the new way, as it is multi-lane but without the city traffic. It hits Hwy. 5 just south of the Costco... about Km. 0.5 or 1, it looks?