BajaNomad

Passport Card Only?

sancho - 9-2-2018 at 10:58 AM

We are all in agreement that a Passport Card will be
accepted by Mex Immigration, for an fmm, either at
the crossings into Mex, or at the TJ Airport for a domestic flight within Mex. Thinking
about renewing and only getting only the card. No one has
experienced ANY difficulty with Mex Imm? I know the travel
limitations of the card
Thanks for Your Time

DaliDali - 9-2-2018 at 11:10 AM

No problems so far.

It is an official US Government document that is accepted as proof of identity....and nationality

[Edited on 9-2-2018 by DaliDali]

Porky Pig - 9-2-2018 at 11:13 AM

Online attempting renewing my Trusted traveler Sentri or Global today. Application will not accept passport card, only passport book. Supposedly the card is only a "travel document"

JoeJustJoe - 9-2-2018 at 12:01 PM

Get both the passport and passport with one form you fill out online for $140 total price.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-r...

bajamary1952 - 9-2-2018 at 12:03 PM

I have both passport & card. Don't trust just card esp. if traveling on mainland.

David K - 9-2-2018 at 12:23 PM

I have both, but use the book because it gets stamped as further proof of having the FMM.

Pacifico - 9-2-2018 at 12:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
We are all in agreement that a Passport Card will be
accepted by Mex Immigration, for an fmm, either at
the crossings into Mex, or at the TJ Airport for a domestic flight within Mex. Thinking
about renewing and only getting only the card. No one has
experienced ANY difficulty with Mex Imm? I know the travel
limitations of the card
Thanks for Your Time

Sounds like you know the limitations of the card...so, you are good in that regard.
I do have a story about someone who only got the card instead of the book in order to save a few bucks. The guy found out the hard way at LAX when they wouldn't let him board the plane because he didn't have the passport book. Ended up costing him a lot of money (loss of fishing trip, about $1500). But, he didn't do his homework and didn't know the limitations of the card...

Alan - 9-2-2018 at 03:03 PM

I didn't think they even sold the card without the book?

woody with a view - 9-2-2018 at 03:44 PM

Puncuation goes along, Guey. :light:

[Edited on 9-2-2018 by woody with a view]

AKgringo - 9-2-2018 at 03:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  

They do, and I was going to buy just cards for my grandchildren for a trip that wound up getting cancelled. Passports for minors are only good for five years anyway.

John Harper - 9-2-2018 at 07:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  

Yes they do. I just got the card when I renewed my expired passport. Since I live in Carlsbad I figured I'd be driving into Baja most if not all the time.

John

SFandH - 9-2-2018 at 08:46 PM

I have both, book and card. They expire early next year, I'll be renewing both. Do I need to send in both of them when I renew, or just the book? Anybody know?

tjsue - 9-3-2018 at 01:34 AM

If you're renewing both, you'll have to send both in. I just renewed my card, and there's a box on the application to check which one you're applying for, and you have to send in the appropriate document.

In my case, I sent in my card which expires next month, and a couple of weeks later, I got my new card, and the old one had a corner cut off of it.

Sr.vienes - 9-3-2018 at 08:25 AM

I know I may have mentioned this before but if you just want to add a card to your still good passport book make sure to attach a note to it saying “do not destroy.” My book still had several years left on it and came back with a hole punched in it. The person I talked to said it was a force of habit thing at their office and they should pay for their mistake, sounded like all the form filling out to get my refund was going to be more trouble than it was worth.

daveB - 9-3-2018 at 09:12 PM

Canadians can get a Nexus card, issued by US authorities, after an personal interview done in the US. Many have the card as it circumvents long lineups for them, but if traveling with others, all must have such a card in order for it to work. Of course international air travel is done only with a passport.

bajapedro - 9-4-2018 at 06:22 AM

Had pre-paid FFM through Baja Travel Club and tried to get it stamped Mexicali West Friday morning. (no, immigration office is still in same place) Only had my Sentri card. They insisted I needed paper passport to enter or get FFM.

David K - 9-4-2018 at 07:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajapedro  
Had pre-paid FFM through Baja Travel Club and tried to get it stamped Mexicali West Friday morning. (no, immigration office is still in same place) Only had my Sentri card. They insisted I needed paper passport to enter or get FFM.

Is the Sentri Card what you used at Discover Baja to get it? What happened next at Mexicali?

sancho - 9-4-2018 at 08:14 AM

Only had my Sentri card. They insisted I needed paper passport to enter or get FFM.

I know typically Mex Imm would not take Sentri for an fmm,
what concerns me is Imm mention of a 'paper' passport,
that may just have been a description, Mexicali West is where
I generally cross, throws me a curve if in fact they don't
accept a passport card. That's what I want to avoid. Some Imm offices seem to act on
they're own, not using the same regs. I guess there
is no way to know, has me rethinking the card

AKgringo - 9-4-2018 at 11:36 AM

I had no problem using a passport card to get an FMM at the Mexicali west crossing in the fall of 2017.

Bob and Susan - 9-4-2018 at 12:08 PM

unless you cross everyday I don't understand why anyone needs a card

since it isn't accepted everywhere and the book is

i'd just get "the book"
and not waste my money on the card

sancho - 9-4-2018 at 12:10 PM

AKgringo now I'm totally conflicted, I've
personally found contradictory
info in the same Imm office. Looks for assurance gotta
spend another $100 for the book, at least I can fly to
Bangkok

John Harper - 9-4-2018 at 12:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
I don't understand why anyone needs a card

It fits in my wallet?

John

AKgringo - 9-4-2018 at 01:08 PM

I have both! I carry my card in my wallet, and use it wherever I can. I have my book stored as securely as I can in a soft top vehicle, or in my room when I have one.

Besides having the option of Flying out of Mexico in an emergency, I have a back-up proof of citizenship at the border if the other one is lost, stolen, or destroyed.

Bob and Susan - 9-4-2018 at 01:08 PM

so does my passport book : )

IMG_1704.JPG - 88kB

SFandH - 9-4-2018 at 01:11 PM

The card is also handy to have because you can hold it up to the RFID readers in the non-Sentri lanes at the crossings. By the time you get to the booth, the inspector has your info on his data screen. It speeds things up for you and everyone else.

Maybe you can do that with the new passport books too. I don't know. But the passport book I have now doesn't work which I think precludes its use in the Ready Lanes.

Plus, having both is almost like having a spare in case one gets lost. I normally carry my card and keep the book stashed away.

[Edited on 9-4-2018 by SFandH]

Bob and Susan - 9-4-2018 at 02:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Plus, having both is almost like having a spare in case one gets lost. I normally carry my card and keep the book stashed away.

a card is worthless if you fly...its not a very good back up

SFandH - 9-4-2018 at 02:21 PM

That's why I said "almost" like having a spare. Besides, I carry the card, so that's what I would most likely lose if I lost one of them. That would leave the fully functional book as my backup.

BornFisher - 9-4-2018 at 02:36 PM

A passport card in a wallet has saved many a traveler tons of grief. Passport books get stolen, get lost, get forgotten.
Our son was at JFK and realized he had forgot his book. He was heading to Fort Lauderdale to get on a Caribbean cruise. He called the cruise line and was told the card was acceptable. So the card saved him the cost of the cruise.

PamelaP - 9-25-2018 at 01:36 PM

Anyone know where the Ready Lane is located at Calexico East location or have a map so we can use our Pass Cards on the way back north?

PaulW - 9-25-2018 at 02:45 PM

What about timing fro renewal? Can I get it before it expires? How much time before it expires?

sancho - 9-25-2018 at 03:20 PM

I just did a renewal, got it back in the mail yesterday, went for the
Passport Book, 17 days total turnaround, my previous Passport
Book was to expire Oct.2. These passport acceptance facilities,
post office, etc. I don't get it. They charge $35 dlls to mail in
your form, do it yourself mail it in. I believe this weekend,
most US Passport Offices have something called a Passport
day, they take new and renewals, again one doesn't gain
anything

John Harper - 9-25-2018 at 05:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
I just did a renewal, got it back in the mail yesterday, went for the
Passport Book, 17 days total turnaround, my previous Passport
Book was to expire Oct.2. These passport acceptance facilities,
post office, etc. I don't get it. They charge $35 dlls to mail in
your form, do it yourself mail it in. I believe this weekend,
most US Passport Offices have something called a Passport
day, they take new and renewals, again one doesn't gain
anything

Perhaps you can just mail it yourself for a renewal? Can you post up a link to this mail in renewal option?

I would think for your original passport they want to verify you/ID/photo are all the same person.

John

JoeJustJoe - 9-25-2018 at 08:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
What about timing fro renewal? Can I get it before it expires? How much time before it expires?

You're suppose to renewal your passport about six months before it expires, because countries don't want you inside their country, when you passport expires. Always check the country you're visiting to see what their requirements for passports.

The other question about renewing your passport online. You send your old passport in with the printed documents you downloaded, and you also send two photos of yourself, usually done at a place like "Walgreens" and a few weeks later you will get your passport.

PaulW - 9-26-2018 at 06:40 AM

Thanks
PW
=========== =
Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

You're suppose to renewal your passport about six months before it expires, because countries don't want you inside their country, when you passport expires. Always check the country you're visiting to see what their requirements for passports.

The other question about renewing your passport online. You send your old passport in with the printed documents you downloaded, and you also send two photos of yourself, usually done at a place like "Walgreens" and a few weeks later you will get your passport.

tjsue - 9-26-2018 at 10:50 AM

I don't cross every day, and only have a card.

It's more convenient for me, I don't need the book, it's a waste of money for me to get the book, and my actual passport expired in 1995.

I have the card and my Sentri pass, and those work fine for me.

bajapedro - 9-28-2018 at 07:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Is the Sentri Card what you used at Discover Baja to get it? What happened next at Mexicali?

Used my paper passport with Discovery Baja to get FFM. Never occurred to me that would need it to get FFM at boarder, as I was under the impression from US customs that it was a passport. Immigration officer said that Sentri is only for crossing back into US and not recognized as a legitimate passport in Mexico. I tried to argue that Sentri is a passport card, but he was having none of it. Told him he was making difficult to comply to his country's requirements. He went on to say even if I had my paper passport, a prepaid FFM, even with an official receipt was no good and that the fees should just be paid at the boarder. The impression I had was this was all really about money.

sancho - 9-28-2018 at 07:51 AM

A Sentri card, I don't believe, establishes citizenship. It certainly
was never designed to be used as a Passport. Even the Passport
card was not designed to function as a full US Passport, it has
a fairly limited use

SFandH - 9-28-2018 at 08:33 AM

Lots of Mexicans have Sentri cards.

"There are no citizenship or age requirements for Secure Electronic Network for Travelers Rapid Inspection (SENTRI) membership."

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/sentri/...

Alm - 9-28-2018 at 06:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by daveB  
Canadians can get a Nexus card, issued by US authorities, after an personal interview done in the US. Many have the card as it circumvents long lineups for them, but if traveling with others, all must have such a card in order for it to work. Of course international air travel is done only with a passport.

Just to dispell some myths...

Nexus card is more like a Canadian Sentri card rather than a passport card.

It is issued jointly by US and Canadian customs, not by the US alone.

An interview may be done either in "border enrollment centers" on the US side or in Canada far away from the border. In either scenario US customs officer is sitting next to the Canadian one and asks same questions, because the card is issued jointly by Canada and US.

It may be used to jump the line when crossing Canada/US border in any direction by any means of transportation, or enter US from Mexico via Ready lane or Ped Sentri. It may be used in a vehicle Sentri lane but the car should be added through the US CBP first.

It may be used on flights into the US or Canada without a passport.

It may not be used to enter any country other than Canada or US, no matter by land or air - similarly to Sentri that in itself is not a valid document to enter Mexico.

[Edited on 9-29-2018 by Alm]

BajaDanD - 9-29-2018 at 04:36 PM

I have just the card but I drive down
If I was flying anywhere out of the USA I would get a regular passport
There isn't anywhere in Mexico that I would want to go that I can't drive to so for me it's just the card.

BajaTed - 9-30-2018 at 11:34 AM

Sentri/GOES card and Passport book is the best combo, it gets you fastrak thru TSA airport screening on international departure and fastrak thru U.S. customs on return.
Soon to be is required facial photo match from airport picture taken prior to your departure and TSA database with your passport or DL photo on record.

joerover - 9-30-2018 at 01:54 PM

dont put all your eggs in one basket.
Get both.
Keep them in seperate places.

[Edited on 9-30-2018 by joerover]

55steve - 9-30-2018 at 09:21 PM

I have both but only take my card when traveling south. I did find one thing that the card can't do is purchase a nautical FMM online - I tried using the card and the field for the passport number will not accept anything but numeric input and passport cards begin with the letter "C". I just input my passbook number and all was well.

del mar - 9-30-2018 at 10:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 55steve  
I have both but only take my card when traveling south. I did find one thing that the card can't do is purchase a nautical FMM online - I tried using the card and the field for the passport number will not accept anything but numeric input and passport cards begin with the letter "C". I just input my passbook number and all was well.

good tip :light: