BajaNomad

Vote for your favorite Baja Person!!

EnsenadaDr - 9-12-2018 at 10:51 PM

Thought this might be a fun topic. For me I nominate Norman Van Gelder. He is the owner of Goa, the Indian fusion restaurant in Rosarito. Apart from having delicious Indian food, he is so friendly and warm and a lot of fun. He has had some very big setbacks but came back smiling!!

MMc - 9-12-2018 at 11:27 PM

BajaBlanca. Changing lives everyday. Making Baja a better place everyday.

[Edited on 9-13-2018 by MMc]

fishbuck - 9-13-2018 at 12:19 AM

DENNIS

bajabuddha - 9-13-2018 at 04:35 AM

Saul Davis, Mulege.

chuckie - 9-13-2018 at 06:26 AM

Another Vote for Saul Davis, Mulege..

55steve - 9-13-2018 at 06:58 AM

Antonio - Baja Cactus.

David K - 9-13-2018 at 07:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 55steve  
Antonio - Baja Cactus.

Agree, does so much for both his town of El Rosario and for all travelers in need!
Viva Baja Cactus!

Meany - 9-13-2018 at 07:54 AM

Russ (BoneHead). For his Morning Coffee Shots.....

bajatrailrider - 9-13-2018 at 08:27 AM

I vote for Ken you know the one drives a Jeep. always a pleasure to be around.

Howard - 9-13-2018 at 08:42 AM

Other than voting for myself, Antonio would be hard to not vote for.

BajaGlenn - 9-13-2018 at 08:46 AM

Russ--same reason as above:bounce:

weebray - 9-13-2018 at 09:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by EnsenadaDr  
Thought this might be a fun topic. For me I nominate Norman Van Gelder. He is the owner of Goa, the Indian fusion restaurant in Rosarito. Apart from having delicious Indian food, he is so friendly and warm and a lot of fun. He has had some very big setbacks but came back smiling!!

Indian food in Mexico? What a concept.

JZ - 9-13-2018 at 09:23 AM

Pancho by 5 miles.

StuckSucks - 9-13-2018 at 09:48 AM

The Clam Man

thebajarunner - 9-13-2018 at 09:59 AM

Doug Means
For putting up with an absolute Ship of Fools
and providing a place for those of us truly interested in Baja to exchange Baja issues and news

BajaBlanca - 9-13-2018 at 10:54 AM

So many to vote for!

Les, my husband, who is so very Les
My Mom, she is just so special and such a fighter
Antonio for sure.
MMc for always being there
Lori, angel of angels
Russ, who makes mornings just fine, fine, fine
Dennis and Jorge, their wit !!
My sponsors, every single one, mostly working in anonymity.

and one of my favorite posters was Roger, who used to entertain all of us with his amazing stories with history and muchas mujeres guapas.

[Edited on 9-13-2018 by BajaBlanca]

gueribo - 9-13-2018 at 11:06 AM

Chema Arce

chema2.JPG - 223kB

motoged - 9-13-2018 at 11:22 AM

The guy at the zocalo with the ice-cream cart....

Blady

Skipjack Joe - 9-13-2018 at 11:42 AM

My favorite Baja person is my next door neighbor, Blady. He's an exceptional person who would take the shirt of his back for you. He's also a great family with a son who keeps winning boxing matches all over the peninsula.

13040990_231755953849925_5283368856724491754_o.jpg - 140kB

TMW - 9-13-2018 at 12:24 PM

Roy Hall aka "The Square Circle". Also known as the Fly scratcher.

He braved a trail no one else would try.

David K - 9-13-2018 at 12:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Doug Means
For putting up with an absolute Ship of Fools
and providing a place for those of us truly interested in Baja to exchange Baja issues and news

Good one Larry!!! :light:
Where is the LIKE button?

When I met Doug, Viva Baja #1, Oct. 2000 (here with Amo Pescar and Kacey Smith, Jack Swords, Graham, M, Mary Ann Humfreville are in the background).

2006 El Rosario Festival

Nov. 2006, Viva Baja Cactus party, with BajaCactus (Antonio) presenting Doug with an award of appreciation for his Baja Nomad website and work on promoting Baja California.

2007 Pyramid Resort Book Signing... Funny Doug!

and so many more... Thank you, Doug!

David K - 9-13-2018 at 12:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Roy Hall aka "The Square Circle". Also known as the Fly scratcher.

He braved a trail no one else would try.

Roy is good for any Baja adventure and not afraid to try anything!

The Pyramid Resort book Signing, 2005

At Mission Santa Maria with Blanche, 2007.

TW was with The squarecircle and helped him make it to and up the La Turquesa Grade! >>>

Stickers - 9-13-2018 at 12:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
The Clam Man

Clam man0017.jpg - 144kB

SFandH - 9-13-2018 at 12:55 PM

Oh, the Clam Man, he's a good one. Old time San Felipe, right?

Skipjack Joe - 9-13-2018 at 01:00 PM

That must be a record sand dollar.

sancho - 9-13-2018 at 01:05 PM

Excellent selections, throw in Graham Mac, another vote for
Means, B Blanca, for her meaningful work, can't believe
it, but DK for his info,
and as mentioned DENNIS

[Edited on 9-13-2018 by sancho]

[Edited on 9-13-2018 by sancho]

Stickers - 9-13-2018 at 01:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Oh, the Clam Man, he's a good one. Old time San Felipe, right?

Yep, early 80's camped on the beach and he would walk along selling clams.

Not only a large sand dollar but his home was made out of whale bones like the one he is using as a walking stick.

bajagrouper - 9-13-2018 at 01:55 PM

Ski Baja---aka---jrbaja......

Natalie Ann - 9-13-2018 at 02:22 PM

i hold a great admiration for Blanca, for all she does for the youth in her area.

Nena

StuckSucks - 9-13-2018 at 02:49 PM

Mike Leon. Had dinner with him et. al. New Year's Eve, circa '85 at his Rancho.

Stickers - 9-13-2018 at 03:12 PM

Don't forget Shari --

She is a class act and has made whale watching possible for hundreds of folk that would never otherwise get to do it.

Truly a whale expert and great advocate/promoter for Baja and it's people.

shari - 9-13-2018 at 03:44 PM

Gracias Stickers, I am humbled but dont feel at all entitled to be on this list of giants!

My vote is split between Antonio, Blanca, Chema, Doug, Pancho, Dennis of course, Roy and I would add Antonio Resendez from BOLA(RIP)...so many amazing folks who care about the Baja!

sd - 9-13-2018 at 05:45 PM

I am impressed and inspired by many.

Fernando (FDT) organized the annual toy give away along with many Baja Nomads assisting. He passed away, but his giving spirit lives strong!

advrider - 9-13-2018 at 05:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Pancho by 5 miles.

Dam, that was my vote too!

Bajaboy - 9-13-2018 at 06:16 PM

I'm going to suggest David K for all the people he has brought together throughout the years.

Ron Hoff would be another person to consider.

LancairDriver - 9-13-2018 at 06:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
I'm going to suggest David K for all the people he has brought together throughout the years.

I’ll second the David K choice. All of the other selections are very well positioned with their Baja contributions as well.

mtgoat666 - 9-13-2018 at 07:37 PM

Surely, there must be some local Mexicans that have been catalysts of great change in their communities, philanthropists of note, revolutionaries that changed things for the better, etc.

I know of a few NGOs and philanthropists that have done a lot for baja,... many do it under the radar, some toot their horn a lot.

I’ve listened to a lot of Carlos Santana over the decades.

I got high hopes for AMLO!

Pachico Mayoral (so the story goes) got us all hugging whales

Dk says couple of celibate religious fanatics established something out of nothing, tamed the wild savages, brought civilization to the heathens (ok, I am being facetious on this last one)

[Edited on 9-14-2018 by mtgoat666]

gueribo - 9-13-2018 at 08:13 PM

I love this thread. Beautiful to see folks praising each other for lives well-lived.

David K - 9-13-2018 at 08:28 PM

Everyone who posts trip reports and shares their fun with us strangers rates high with me! Thank you, I believe trip reports here are such a valuable part of Baja Nomad. Making friends who read or post here is another high point, I think! I have been so personally enriched meeting so many Baja fans!
If I made a list of great people here, it would be pages long!

sherdoggie - 9-13-2018 at 08:35 PM

Definitely Pancho. Was always such a humble gentleman, loved making a special trip to see him. Paid respects at his grave in BdeLA in June. Another vote goes to David K, a wealth of information, whose posts transport me to Baja time and time again.

Lee - 9-13-2018 at 09:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  

I’ll second the David K choice. All of the other selections are very well positioned with their Baja contributions as well.

x3

thebajarunner - 9-13-2018 at 10:02 PM

Honorable mentions to :
Antonio (Cactus)
David K
and the memory of Antonio Rezendes

fishbuck - 9-13-2018 at 10:18 PM

Still DENNIS😉😎

LaTijereta - 9-14-2018 at 05:08 AM

I can’t believe no one has mentioned Pompano!
Roger inspired us with so many great stories over the years..

Bubba - 9-14-2018 at 05:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LaTijereta  
I can’t believe no one has mentioned Pompano!
Roger inspired us with so many great stories over the years..

I agree! Always enjoyed his pics and stories!

BajaBlanca - 9-14-2018 at 06:08 AM

I mentioned ROGER way back on page 1!!! He was a class act.

BajaTed - 9-14-2018 at 11:11 AM

Bertha
@ Bertha's restaurant, Coyote Beach & Muzik mountain

Daniel the clam diver @ Burro beach

SFandH - 9-14-2018 at 11:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
Bertha
@ Bertha's restaurant, Coyote Beach & Muzik mountain

Daniel the clam diver @ Burro beach

They're both great people. Daniel's son, Victor, is following in Dad's footsteps. Both are true watermen.

[Edited on 9-14-2018 by SFandH]

TMW - 9-14-2018 at 12:09 PM

Coco, living in the middle of nowhere with no legs yet dozens if not hundreds stop to visit every year.

motoged - 9-14-2018 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Coco, living in the middle of nowhere with no legs yet dozens if not hundreds stop to visit every year.

Yep....:light:

sancho - 9-14-2018 at 12:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Dk says couple of celibate religious fanatics established something out of nothing, tamed the wild savages, brought civilization to the heathens (ok, I am being facetious on this last one)
[Edited on 9-14-2018 by mtgoat666]

Try as I might, can't figure out if this is some sort of 'olive
branch' or not, a bit nuanced for me. But in this most
positive of discussions, I'll pretend it is.
I forgot to add a true gentleman from San Felipe, Tony Reyes

ehall - 9-14-2018 at 01:34 PM

Coco for sure. Always have a great time there. Especially when he is really grumpy and I can mess with him in my very weak Spanish.

sancho - 9-14-2018 at 01:41 PM

DK, You have way more supporters than detractors here,
you should take any meaningless sarcasim as just that

willardguy - 9-14-2018 at 01:43 PM

a vote for Ivan Ramirez! BRAAAP:coolup:

thebajarunner - 9-14-2018 at 07:48 PM

Ed Pearlman
He gave Baja a whole new meaning and identity

BajaBlanca - 9-14-2018 at 08:11 PM

So, we had some guests stay with us and they told us the most amazing Coco story:

They were driving through Coco's corner headed south on a Sunday. He asked them to stop by Tecate and order him 30 cases of beer in Guerrero Negro.

and gave no money to pay for it.

Once in G Negro, they found a guy at the Tecate store and told him Coco wanted 30 cases of beer.

OK He answered.

A couple days later they were coming back north and decided to check on the beer status. What about Coco's 30 cases? they asked.

DOES HE WANT ANOTHER 30? asked the worker HAHAHAHAHA

Truer than true story. :biggrin:

AKgringo - 9-14-2018 at 08:27 PM

I have been following this forum less than four years, so have not known much about many of the nominees.

For useful information, David K is at the top of the heap. For interesting posts, I would have a hard time choosing between Osprey and Pompano! Community service is best represented by Antonio, or Blanca. As far as being a likable person, Pancho!

I can't pick just one favorite out of the may mentioned.

[Edited on 9-15-2018 by AKgringo]

4x4abc - 9-15-2018 at 07:28 AM

most inspiring - COCO!

When others would think their life is finished - he started.
Lotsa great personalities in Baja - none like Coco.

David K - 9-15-2018 at 08:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
most inspiring - COCO!

When others would think their life is finished - he started.
Lotsa great personalities in Baja - none like Coco.

Photo from Mothership.

[Edited on 9-15-2018 by David K]

Bajaboy - 9-15-2018 at 08:53 PM

I fondly remember the Tamale Lady!!!!!

advrider - 9-16-2018 at 07:52 AM

I would agree that David K brings a ton of information to all of us!I was just rereading some of his research posts from last year to help plan my trip later this year! Thanks for all of your work...

How did I forget Coco! You never will meet a guy with a better attitude about life. Always has a story to tell and advise to give!

As many have said Poncho was one of a kind and such an ambassador for all of Baja! I always loved taking new people to Baja, and a visit to Poncho's was always a hit and talked about every time Baja comes up.

volcano - 9-16-2018 at 07:57 AM

Shari and Blanca...and I've never met either of them

David K - 9-16-2018 at 07:58 AM

I fondly remember the Tamale Lady!!!!!

From Bob H:

In Villa Jesus María, next to Pemex station...

[Edited on 9-16-2018 by David K]

pauldavidmena - 9-16-2018 at 08:17 AM

George Bergin (Osprey), for pursuing his dream of living in Baja and making it work until his final breath. And for his essays and stories that live on.

tiotomasbcs - 9-16-2018 at 10:28 AM

My All time favorites are Dennis and Pompano...both Special characters ! Can Someone post a couple of Pompano with his ladies?!

BajaBlanca - 9-16-2018 at 10:56 AM

POMPANO and some of his ladies! Perhaps Don Jorge can get him back on to write us? Or at least give us an update.

Enjoy...

http://s277.photobucket.com/user/bajaroger/media/ABOARD%20TH...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=80730#pid1006...

and this is what he wrote Nov. 2016:
Well. well...a very nice surprise to hear from old amigos on BajaNomads. In case you've been wondering, I've been NOB for a couple years and haven't visited Baja for a spell. Therefore nothing much to write about on this Baja forum.

Not to worry, friends, I am okay...although I won't be racing gazelles anytime soon. In a nutshell, I had a botched gall bladder operation, followed up quickly with a kidney failure. Talk about down time in hospital beds! But that's all, nothing like the Grim Reaper coming to call.

Been undergoing lots of physical therapy and too many check-up visits at the local clinic. Getting used to using a cane. Plus getting heaps of sympathy points from Co-pilot, though..which makes it all worthwhile.

Again, thanks for the inquiries and good wishes. I'll be checking Nomads more often in the future. Rest assured, when the time & 'climate' is right, I will be back with....some 100% true accounts! Perhaps some wandering & rambling stories? Like building a remote lake cabin, some fishing Up North & Down South, a Duk Shak garage dibacle, Co-pilot challenges, and believable misses on some pheasants?

Saludos....tu amigo, Pompano

p.s. many thanks to Don Jorge and chuckie for bring this to my attention.

[Edited on 12-1-2016 by Pompano]

pmiller - 9-20-2018 at 07:05 PM

I've been all over Baja, but not for a while. My most memorable person vote goes to Dr. Abraham Vasquez of Gecko Camp. I thought I was computer savvy. I first heard of Google talking to Doc. at the camp.

David K - 9-20-2018 at 09:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pmiller  
I've been all over Baja, but not for a while. My most memorable person vote goes to Dr. Abraham Vasquez of Gecko Camp. I thought I was computer savvy. I first heard of Google talking to Doc. at the camp.

Doc was always very cool... He had a nice website too, with neat cha cha cha music.

Photo from Bedman, 2002.

Apr. 3, 2002 on the trail to San Juan from the railroad/tramline terminal.

bufeo - 10-4-2018 at 02:24 PM

I haven't posted for nearly three years, so perhaps I'm not eligible to suggest my choice.

My vote would have to be for Campbell Grant.

We met Campbell around 1966 when we were both teaching. He in Carpinteria, CA; I in the Santa Ynez Valley just north of him.

My wife was able to lead him to some cave paintings in the mountains above the Santa Ynez Valley. These relics were new to him, ones he'd never even heard about.

We became friends and he reciprocated by introducing us to the wonders of the Baja Peninsula and supplied us with hand-drawn maps of pictographs and petroglyphs in Baja, some of which have not been published anywhere as far as I know. I still have these maps and notes tucked into my 1964 edition of Gerhard and Gulick.

Our first trip south to Baja a few months later was in our 2WD pickup. No mishaps. We made it as far as Cataviña before running out of time but as soon as we returned I traded that 2WD for a 4WD. We were hooked.

MMc - 10-4-2018 at 03:08 PM

Bufeo, welcome back.

bufeo - 10-4-2018 at 06:20 PM

Thank you, MMC. I've not been completely absent. I check in occasionally but not having a house at Pta Bufeo anymore has deterred me from contributing to the dialogue. I continue to enjoy the "conversations".