BajaNomad

Number 1 tip all Baja travelers should know

weebray - 9-19-2018 at 02:24 PM

Once or twice a decade Baja California gets an extended period of soft rain. That is right now. The ground and plants are slowly soaking up the gift. Normally, the rain will be prodigious and brief. The ground so dry it's actually waterproof. The arroyo's run in torrents altering the roads and landscape. The oceans muddy. The tip is that after these rare rains the landscape will explode in verdant abundancy as if it were hand watered. If you are on the "otro lado" and contemplating or planning to visit do not wait. The time has arrived, this winter is going to be staggeringly beautiful. Things will bloom that have not for years. Fish will appear from the dust. You've been tipped off, saddle up.

bajatrailrider - 9-19-2018 at 03:48 PM

Prey tell when will I get rain in northern Baja . Thank you

Howard - 9-19-2018 at 04:10 PM

As soon as you wash your car.

SFandH - 9-19-2018 at 04:23 PM

Usually, southern CA and northern Baja CA get rain in the winter. It's always a good thing though.

Glad to hear BCS is getting watered. We'll be there in a month for the winter.

AKgringo - 9-19-2018 at 05:57 PM

My first excursion on the roads south of Bahia de Los Angeles was after a set of storms had passed through the area. It was about five years ago, close to this time of the year.

It was in full bloom, with even grass sprouting in a few places that I thought it would never survive! I have traveled it regularly since then, and it has become my favorite Baja road, but that first pass will always stand out in my memory.

BajaMama - 9-20-2018 at 06:35 AM

Is the rain falling in the Santa Rosalia / Mulegé area?

LAKingsFan - 9-23-2018 at 05:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
The time has arrived, this winter is going to be staggeringly beautiful. Things will bloom that have not for years.

Oh wow - I can't wait to see it!

BajaBlanca - 9-23-2018 at 06:22 PM

There was no rain in Mulege or Santa Rosalia when we drove it yesterday but the green is already showing up and the cows are all grazing near the sides of the road, time to be extra careful!

Gaga over Green

MrBillM - 9-23-2018 at 06:35 PM

Forty-some years ago, a relation of my (then) wife from Northern Georgia visiting us in Indio during the Spring once remarked "If you think it (the spring greenery and flowers) is so great, why in Hell do you live out here in the desert ?"

Good Question.

mtgoat666 - 9-23-2018 at 07:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
Forty-some years ago, a relation of my (then) wife from Northern Georgia visiting us in Indio during the Spring once remarked "If you think it (the spring greenery and flowers) is so great, why in Hell do you live out here in the desert ?"

Good Question.

Excellent question!

BajaMama - 9-24-2018 at 09:23 AM

I always traveled to BCS in May/June, occasionally April. A few years back (and every years since) I have added October to my travels. I was flabbergasted by how green it is that time of the year. And the water is sooooooo warm!