BajaNomad

compost toilets?

fire - 9-20-2018 at 12:14 AM

Is anyone using / building /built a compost toilet on baja?
if so, any suggestions for building / maintaining etc?

[Edited on 04/12/1974 by fire]

Bob and Susan - 9-20-2018 at 05:00 AM

what are you thinking???

this IS NOT 1850 its 2018

buy a plastic 3 section septic tank from Rotoplas and throw it in a hole

you'll be way happier

volcano - 9-20-2018 at 06:44 AM

I have an envirolet composting toilet, a commercial type, in Baja Sur. Am replacing it this year with the concrete block style composting toilet. There are designs online for several styles. The challenge in an arid climate is to keep contents moist and "working". Composting toilets are a modern, forward thinking, item, perhaps more suited to rural.

fire - 9-20-2018 at 08:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
what are you thinking???

you'll be way happier

lol, i thought it would be good for plants!

KylesBahiadrean - 7-21-2020 at 04:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
what are you thinking???

you'll be way happier

It’s not about having more happiness while Pooping, it’s about getting rid of waste, being able to reuse it in some way... and be to be completely off grid, this is the way to go, no pump truck ever needed, if your septic system backs up in remote area you could have a disaster... and they could use the grey water from dishes, showers and such to water their plants , to add moisture to the compost toilet.. This is a forward thinking idea not a backwards thinking idea... also it’s helps with keeping the groundwater cleaner instead of everyone’s chit water leaching into the surround grounds.. personally don’t have one but my friends have a cabin in Joshua Tree with like 3 of them.. they host climbers and such..

Bob and Susan - 7-21-2020 at 06:14 PM

big mistake

mtgoat666 - 7-21-2020 at 06:31 PM

I have my doubts that a composting toilet will handle the pee and chit of a family of 4. How fast does it compost if chitting 8 times per day?

KylesBahiadrean - 7-21-2020 at 06:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I have my doubts that a composting toilet will handle the pee and chit of a family of 4. How fast does it compost if chitting 8 times per day?

I mean maybe septic works best for you and your situation but maybe this compost toilet will work for someone else.. like some people like living in different places some people want to live remote some people like the convenience of a city .. it’s all about people preferences...the bashing of someone’s idea with no real constructive criticism is bogus..

AKgringo - 7-21-2020 at 07:51 PM

I spent all of 1969 on the south side of the Korean DMZ. At that time, very few residences had any plumbing at all, and the winter's "compost" wound up in the rice paddies!