BajaNomad

Mulege to San Isidro Trail

TMW - 9-24-2018 at 04:37 PM

Has anyone been on it to see if the road between Mulege and San Isidro is open to vehicles? How bad is the rock slide or whatever is blocking the trail?

David K - 9-24-2018 at 06:24 PM

Tom, did you catch the video of the surfers in a Tacoma doing that road, and manually moving rocks to get through? They did not know where they were, but it was that road and it was a really good video.

AKgringo - 9-24-2018 at 06:39 PM

I have never tried to find that road, but I would like to! If you are looking for another vehicle to join the quest, what is your time frame?

I am still in Alaska, but plan on heading south in a couple of weeks. The rain squall that passed through today left the peaks above Anchorage white!

Tacoma

John M - 9-24-2018 at 06:51 PM

David- I watched the video but did not catch the date it was made. There was much more greenery in the video than when we drove it a couple of years ago. Bet TW knows the dates of our crossing.

I recognized parts from the video, particularly the steep switchbacks. Other parts of the video made me wonder if it is the same route as we did.

It is also referred to as the Guajademi road - or something very similar. A few years ago some folks from Mulege provided us with good info on whether or not is was doable in a 4x4.

John M

AKgringo - 9-24-2018 at 08:39 PM

I remember watching the video quite a few months ago, but I can't think of what forum or key words to search for it would be.

The impression I had of what I remember viewing, is that the video was originally posted somewhere else, and was several years old. If I am correct, there have been a couple of flash flood events since they made their run.

Wish I could figure out where to find it!

Along for the fun

John M - 9-24-2018 at 08:52 PM

4X4ABC was along on our trip - I'll try to figure out when it was (April 2016) in the event the other video shows up - we can compare dates.

edited to add the correct date of our adventure.

John M

[Edited on 9-25-2018 by John M]

David K - 9-24-2018 at 08:58 PM

Here is the video:

https://vimeo.com/146502907

AK, I searched "Isidro" and found it here: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=90108

Most recent posting?

John M - 9-25-2018 at 04:31 AM

On April 18 2018 willy Airstream (from Mulege) posted this, referring to the video:

Looks like they put a few extra miles on top of the mountain, but otherwise, it is the same route. In Feb 2014 it was not as overgrown, but the rocks and steep drop offs and "where is the road" are the same. Local word is it is not passable now, but it always fun trying! Some fotos here
https://www.facebook.com/zgdesign/media_set?set=a.1015203606...

willyAirstream - 9-25-2018 at 08:19 AM

no recent news on the route to San Isidro, but....

Off topic, but of interest, I am sure. Folks in San Jose de Mag say the route to Guadalupe is now open, even graded. We are planning a trip Oct 6th and I will post.

David K - 9-25-2018 at 09:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willyAirstream  

Off topic, but of interest, I am sure. Folks in San Jose de Mag say the route to Guadalupe is now open, even graded. We are planning a trip Oct 6th and I will post.

Well, that would be major! I went from the mission on that road and in less than two miles was washed out by an arroyo gully. I know a bit further east, where it goes down the mountain, it was totally obliterated. Please keep us informed. This will be good news to the ranchers in the mission valley and maybe will lead back to some restoration of the site?

The mission church's west wall from the 1750s. This is west and uphill from the cinder block building in the clearing.

The first erosion on the road towards San José de Magdalena. The second washout beyond this one was complete, I had to turn around.

KurtG - 9-25-2018 at 09:05 AM

That is great news. That has been a favorite day trip out of Mulege for many years.

TMW - 9-25-2018 at 09:54 AM

John we did the route in April 2016, here is my trip report.

Some do refer to it as the Guajademi trail.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=83006

David K - 9-25-2018 at 10:00 AM

While Guadajemi is off in another canyon, the trail past it to Mulegé was one of the routes of El Camino Real... Just for mules, not autos! Your auto road forks to the west then north to Mulegé.

[Edited on 9-25-2018 by David K]

TMW - 9-25-2018 at 10:06 AM

The video says it was from 3 years ago. I did the trail in April 2013 and April 2016 and I don't remember that much green in the road. But who knows it could be the the same trail.

LaTijereta - 9-25-2018 at 11:18 AM

It’s open.. done earlier this year on UTVs out of Loreto...

David K - 9-25-2018 at 11:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LaTijereta  
It’s open.. done earlier this year on UTVs out of Loreto...

Hi Kris... what was the road surface condition? Would it be okay for 2WD vehicles, in your opinion?

advrider - 9-25-2018 at 06:39 PM

Anyone have a set of tracks they can share? I would love to check that out on y moto this year?

David K - 9-25-2018 at 07:01 PM

I actually put the road on my 2018 map, but when I showed it here to you guys I got lots of feedback that the road was gone, not passable, etc. Not wanting to put anyone in danger, I erased over the center of the mountain part of it! LOL

advrider - 9-25-2018 at 07:09 PM

Thanks that helps. We went that way a couple of years ago but missed a turn and ended up in Loreto, still a fun ride....

KurtG - 9-25-2018 at 07:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Anyone have a set of tracks they can share? I would love to check that out on y moto this year?

Here is my report from March 2012:

Trip Report/road log San Isidro-Mulege Mountain Route 3/22/2012

For reference our vehicle is a 2000 Explorer stock Bauer Ed. with 255/70/16 Michelin street tires run at about 22#.
The report is a mileage log and includes GPS data and elevation for key points. The log is as accurate as Garmin and Ford's odometer could provide.
Mile Zero is starting North from San Isidro at 26.12.866x112.01.577.
Excellent road to Purisima Vieja at mile 12.3 then to Paso Hondo at mile 15.4. Both are oasis villages with some great scenery.
Mile 17.8-Springs and ponds on left.
Mile 18.3-Small village.
Mile 21.2-water crossing/palms and on to Buenos Aires at mile 25.9.
Mile 29.1-Agua Grande
Mile 32.2. 26.32.962x112.06.834. Elev.2100. Sign: El Llano straight, Guajadami to the right. Go straight.
From here the road is steep and rocky with a lot of erosion. Low range used to the top of high plateau at Mile 36.7. Elev. 3350 at 26.35.899x112.07.222.
Mile 37. Incredible views of deep gorge on right. Continue to climb to:
Mile 39.1. 26.37.146x112.06.743. Elev. 3765. High point overlooking the broad expanse of El Llano below. This is where the road ended when I attempted this route some 15 years ago. The descending cuesta was the most difficult of the entire trip. Steep, sometimes narrow and off camber and rough eroded rock with lots of loose stuff. This is an area to use extreme caution. We crept down in low range, 1st gear to arrive in the flats of El Llano at:
Mile 40.6. 26.37.786x112.07.153. Elev. 2616. At this point we met a rancher with a Ford F350 4wd and a cattle rack who had 3-4 cattle loaded. We told him we were going to Mulege and he said he was as well. That gave us a better feeling about actually completing the trip since I didn’t feel we could climb back up that previous cuesta or at least really didn’t want to attempt it. He confirmed that that plateau is El Llano. As we started up the next grade we saw him starting behind us. A rough ride for those cows! The road continues up and down a bit before a gate at the top of the final cuesta at:
Mile 43.1. 26.39.029x112.08.07. Elev. 3429. Now down the cuesta, steep and rough but not nearly as bad as the earlier one. There has been traffic up and down this area since we were on it and turned back a few months ago. I think we could now go up this one ok.
Mile 46.2. 26.40.320x112.07.130. elev. 1346. This position is right by the ranch at the bottom of the cuesta. Rancho El Llanito. It is relatively new. This is the important coordinate for anyone doing this trip north to south since it is not shown on the maps and in my experience the Baja Atlas and other maps are only an approximation of the roads in this area. From this point you are on the road that goes straight to Mulege. There are occasional roads that come in from both side notably at Mile 50.8 which has a sign pointing back to Rcho El Llanito. I believe the other fork here leads to the area of El Potrero and El Batiqui and Pia de la Cuesta Guajadami. I have motorcycled in that area but not since the hurricanes changed some of the roads a few years ago. Note that I have not called this the Guajadami Road since it splits off from the old mission route and is generally to the west of it. Continue straight into Mulege arriving at Hwy 1 (icehouse road junction) at MILE 67.3. This trip took about 6 hours so an average speed of about 10 mph. Thanks to Mulegena for the trip report on Baja Nomads that inspired us to do this trip. The scenery was wonderful although I would still rank the San Juan de la Pila road as the slightly more spectacular but I am really splitting hairs on that call. Do them both and tell me what you think!
Kurt and Kathy, March 22, 2012

tracks?

John M - 9-25-2018 at 07:26 PM

AV - I don't have a GPS track but I think if I go out to my truck GPS I may have a couple of dozen waypoints - there are a couple of places to go off on your own adventure. If I have them, and can download them, I will send you a U2U and get an email address.

John M

avrider

John M - 9-26-2018 at 11:28 AM

Kurt G's route and notes are right on the money. His descriptions of the difficult sections was pretty much as we found it two years ago except we did it in the reverse direction, Mulege to San Isidro. I have some additional way points that can supplement Kurt's directions but they don't change anything. I will say that going Mulege to San Isidro there are two, maybe three intersecting ranch roads that will take you off in the wrong direction before the rough stuff even starts. I plotted those, and have the gps coordinates. As Kurt drove it, those intersections probably wouldn't even be worth mentioning. I did make a track in Google Earth following his directions and using some of my waypoints and can convert it to KML file if you'd like to see it.

John M

Kurt's Road Log (edited version)

David K - 9-26-2018 at 05:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  

Here is my report from March 2012:

Trip Report/road log San Isidro-Mulege Mountain Route 3/22/2012

For reference our vehicle is a 2000 Explorer stock Bauer Ed. with 255/70/16 Michelin street tires run at about 22#.
The report is a mileage log and includes GPS data and elevation for key points. The log is as accurate as Garmin and Ford's odometer could provide.

Mile Zero is starting North from San Isidro at 26.12.866x112.01.577.
Excellent road to:
Mile 12.3 Purisima Vieja then to
Mile 15.4 Paso Hondo. Both are oasis villages with some great scenery.
Mile 17.8-Springs and ponds on left.
Mile 18.3-Small village.
Mile 21.2-water crossing/palms and on to Buenos Aires at mile 25.9.
Mile 29.1-Agua Grande
Mile 32.2. 26.32.962x112.06.834. Elev.2100. Sign: El Llano straight, Guajadami to the right. Go straight.

From here the road is steep and rocky with a lot of erosion. Low range used to:
Mile 36.7 the top of high plateau. Elev. 3350 at 26.35.899x112.07.222.
Mile 37. Incredible views of deep gorge on right. Continue to climb to:
Mile 39.1. 26.37.146x112.06.743. Elev. 3765. High point overlooking the broad expanse of El Llano below.

This is where the road ended when I attempted this route some 15 years ago. The descending cuesta was the most difficult of the entire trip. Steep, sometimes narrow and off camber and rough eroded rock with lots of loose stuff. This is an area to use extreme caution. We crept down in low range, 1st gear to arrive in the flats of El Llano at:

Mile 40.6. 26.37.786x112.07.153. Elev. 2616.

At this point we met a rancher with a Ford F350 4wd and a cattle rack who had 3-4 cattle loaded. We told him we were going to Mulege and he said he was as well. That gave us a better feeling about actually completing the trip since I didn’t feel we could climb back up that previous cuesta or at least really didn’t want to attempt it. He confirmed that that plateau is El Llano. As we started up the next grade we saw him starting behind us. A rough ride for those cows! The road continues up and down a bit before a gate at the top of the final cuesta at:

Mile 43.1. 26.39.029x112.08.07. Elev. 3429. Now down the cuesta, steep and rough but not nearly as bad as the earlier one. There has been traffic up and down this area since we were on it and turned back a few months ago. I think we could now go up this one ok.

Mile 46.2. 26.40.320x112.07.130. elev. 1346. This position is right by the ranch at the bottom of the cuesta. Rancho El Llanito. It is relatively new. This is the important coordinate for anyone doing this trip north to south since it is not shown on the maps and in my experience the Baja Atlas and other maps are only an approximation of the roads in this area.

From this point you are on the road that goes straight to Mulege. There are occasional roads that come in from both side notably at:

Mile 50.8 which has a sign pointing back to Rcho El Llanito. I believe the other fork here leads to the area of El Potrero and El Batiqui and Pia de la Cuesta Guajadami. I have motorcycled in that area but not since the hurricanes changed some of the roads a few years ago. Note that I have not called this the Guajadami Road since it splits off from the old mission route and is generally to the west of it.

Continue straight into Mulege arriving at Hwy 1 (icehouse road junction) at MILE 67.3.

This trip took about 6 hours so an average speed of about 10 mph. Thanks to Mulegena for the trip report on Baja Nomads that inspired us to do this trip. The scenery was wonderful although I would still rank the San Juan de la Pila road as the slightly more spectacular but I am really splitting hairs on that call. Do them both and tell me what you think!
Kurt and Kathy, March 22, 2012

Kurt, I hope it is okay with you that I played/edited with your log a bit!:light::saint:

advrider - 9-26-2018 at 06:24 PM

The trip log is awesome but harder to use on a moto. John M, If you could make the KML file that would be great. I try to plan my rides out the best I can with tracks/routes before we go, just because it's a large time investment just getting to Baja and getting the time off. I don't mind wondering around Baja but like to manage my ride time the best I can. Thanks to everyone that shares all of the info that makes exploring Baja so much easier and funner!

KML

John M - 9-26-2018 at 07:12 PM

avrider - do you have some thought as to which direction you will be riding?

I have a few added notes to what Kurt wrote and David edited, but as I said south to north and his notes are fine. Also when I made the gps file today there were a couple of sections that on Google Earth could present an "either/or" decision, however as usually happens both choices do come back together.

I will try to attach it here. If I can't get it to attach I will send you a U2U for an email address.

John

Attachment: Kurt & Kathy San Isidro to Mulege.kml (36kB)
This file has been downloaded 236 times

advrider - 9-26-2018 at 07:16 PM

Most likely North to South but I'm not sure yet? Thanks again

JZ - 9-26-2018 at 07:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
avrider - do you have some thought as to which direction you will be riding?

I have a few added notes to what Kurt wrote and David edited, but as I said south to north and his notes are fine. Also when I made the gps file today there were a couple of sections that on Google Earth could present an "either/or" decision, however as usually happens both choices do come back together.

I will try to attach it here. If I can't get it to attach I will send you a U2U for an email address.

John

Awesome. Loads straight into GE. That's the way you do it!

That looks like one bad ass trip.

[Edited on 9-28-2018 by JZ]

TMW - 9-27-2018 at 11:19 AM

If you do the Mulege to San Isidro route you can make a loop out of it by coming back by way of the San Raymundo trail.

AKgringo - 9-27-2018 at 11:46 AM

It will be interesting to see if any of the central Baja trails are passable after the two tropical disturbances in the forecast figure out where they are going to come ashore!

By the end of next week, I suspect there will be a lot of road/trail updates that will need to be posted. Hopefully the track will continue to move further to the west!

advrider - 9-27-2018 at 06:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
If you do the Mulege to San Isidro route you can make a loop out of it by coming back by way of the San Raymundo trail.

Anymore info on this trail? A loop would be very cool... We are looking at March if you want to lead the ride?

advrider - 9-27-2018 at 06:21 PM

John M thanks for the KML, I can convert that to a GPS track. That looks like it will be a cool new route to try out in March...

JZ - 9-27-2018 at 06:51 PM

John M thanks for the KML, I can convert that to a GPS track. That looks like it will be a cool new route to try out in March...

How fast do you think you could rip through it on your bikes?

TMW - 9-27-2018 at 07:16 PM

The switchbacks and rocks will slow you down.

TMW - 9-27-2018 at 07:56 PM

Anymore info on this trail? A loop would be very cool... We are looking at March if you want to lead the ride?

Here is the loop using the almanac. I can trace it on Google Earth for a GPS track.

[Edited on 9-28-2018 by TMW]

motoged - 9-28-2018 at 12:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

How fast do you think you could rip through it on your bikes?

Several years ago some friends left Mulege in the morning and slept in Loreto that evening....going through Commondu: "A" riders...

JZ - 9-28-2018 at 12:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Several years ago some friends left Mulege in the morning and slept in Loreto that evening....going through Commondu: "A" riders...

Where's the pic of the broken leg??

advrider - 9-28-2018 at 04:23 AM

Coming out of scorpion bay I would plan it for a day ride just to be safe. I like to finish before dark and not cut into my beer time! Plus I think the views would be awesome so I wouldn't want to be in a rush.

KurtG - 9-28-2018 at 08:04 AM

Coming out of scorpion bay I would plan it for a day ride just to be safe. I like to finish before dark and not cut into my beer time! Plus I think the views would be awesome so I wouldn't want to be in a rush.

Stopping for the view at Mile 37, going North, is a must. Spectacular.

Views

John M - 9-28-2018 at 08:49 AM

There are many places to stop and take it all in. The view Kurt is talking about is outstanding.

At Kurt's mile 40.6 - El Llano valley - where he met the cowboy is also the very spot a cowboy came up and met us - we were setting up camp for the night. There was yet another post some time ago from another group passing the same place where they also encountered a local.

John M

You can click on the photo to enlarge it. Still don't have the NOMAD way to post figured out.

[Edited on 9-28-2018 by John M]

TMW - 9-28-2018 at 11:11 AM

Beautiful country for sure.

David K - 9-28-2018 at 05:10 PM

There are many places to stop and take it all in. The view Kurt is talking about is outstanding.

At Kurt's mile 40.6 - El Llano valley - where he met the cowboy is also the very spot a cowboy came up and met us - we were setting up camp for the night. There was yet another post some time ago from another group passing the same place where they also encountered a local.

John M

You can click on the photo to enlarge it. Still don't have the NOMAD way to post figured out.

[Edited on 9-28-2018 by John M]

John, on PostImage click Share then click the "hotlink for forums" however you missed the upload setting when you first got onto PostImage... You need to set it at 800 pixels. I edited it here...

advrider - 9-28-2018 at 08:03 PM

I posted in another thread on here but this is the one I should have used. I have a track someone gave me called Mulege mountain track, I will see if I can post it!
let me know if anyone has run this track? I haven't tried to put it on google earth yet either...

Attachment: San Ignacio to Mulege Mountain track.gpx (22kB)
This file has been downloaded 214 times

[Edited on 9-29-2018 by advrider]

JZ - 9-28-2018 at 11:55 PM

I posted in another thread on here but this is the one I should have used. I have a track someone gave me called Mulege mountain track, I will see if I can post it!
let me know if anyone has run this track? I haven't tried to put it on google earth yet either...

Here's that track.

San Ignacio to Mulege Mountain route

John M - 9-29-2018 at 05:40 AM

Here is JZ's route in KML for Google Earth. Well, it was my intent to post it!

I converted it to a KML file and realized that for some reason the KML won't let me copy & paste. I have had this issue before, and If I recall correctly I can paste a KMZ file. Now I can't make this kml into a kmz. I can view it on G.E. however.

All that said, this appears to be the same route (with a few little variations) TW, myself, and a couple of others were intending to try in 2016 - This is the route for which TW had spoken with Blanca about and was told that it was absolutely impassable for 4x4s, according to a rancher that lived "at the end of the road."

JM

advrider - 9-29-2018 at 08:11 AM

Well maybe I can put both tracks together and make a loop out of it when I go in March? Does anyone have another track that they know will go through to make it a full loop ending back in San Ignacio?

JZ - 9-29-2018 at 09:36 AM

Here is JZ's route in KML for Google Earth. Well, it was my intent to post it!

I converted it to a KML file and realized that for some reason the KML won't let me copy & paste. I have had this issue before, and If I recall correctly I can paste a KMZ file. Now I can't make this kml into a kmz. I can view it on G.E. however.

All that said, this appears to be the same route (with a few little variations) TW, myself, and a couple of others were intending to try in 2016 - This is the route for which TW had spoken with Blanca about and was told that it was absolutely impassable for 4x4s, according to a rancher that lived "at the end of the road."

JM

Here it is as a KML. Long track - 121 miles.

Attachment: Rt San Ignaco to Mulege.kml (11kB)
This file has been downloaded 236 times

[Edited on 9-29-2018 by JZ]

MulegeAL - 9-29-2018 at 10:34 AM

That would be great news if true, looking fwd to your trip report on that route!

Jinete Viejo - 9-30-2018 at 02:41 PM

I think there was a thread on this blog that showed guys pushing and carrying their bikes on what is the blue line on the map JZ posted above. Maybe the info in willyAirstream's post changed that? It will be interesting to see what advrider finds.

motoged - 9-30-2018 at 03:04 PM

Richard,
Does the route down to Magdelana go through the canyon again (that was east of the pass from San Estanaslo (sp?)/Guadalupe area?

Or do they have a new route from that pass area?

PS.. Hope all is well

MulegeAL - 9-30-2018 at 08:03 PM

Hey Ged! Good to see you are still typing and sucking air!

So waddaya think? Should we try that Mulege Mtn track that JZ posted?
That could be epic, or fatal. I got the range if we don't screw up on nav too much.

It'll have to be on your GPS. I still haven't replaced mine since slamming into that darned goat last year.

motoged - 9-30-2018 at 09:20 PM

Al,
Which one....the one down to San Isidro....or the new one west of Magdelena?

I have done the one from San Ignacio on the 690 and am not in a hurry to do it again...would consider doing the one down to San Isidro....or at least from Magdelena up to the pass north of Guadalupe....and back....an in and outer.

It would need to be early March for me...I am in Bahia Asuncion from November to at least end of February...with the 450.

How did the goat fare?

[Edited on 10-1-2018 by motoged]

JZ - 11-23-2018 at 09:20 PM

Curious if Tom's "Guajademi trail" is open to 4x4?

Which way is easier, Mulege to San Isidro or the reverse?

I'm thinking starting in Mulege is easier and hits the tough spots earlier?

[Edited on 11-24-2018 by JZ]

KurtG - 11-23-2018 at 09:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MulegeAL  

That would be great news if true, looking fwd to your trip report on that route!

It is indeed open again, I drove it about a week ago. Did the loop from Mulege. Between Guadalupe and the steep descent the road is pretty rough. I was in low range for some sections. The descent has been cleared of the boulders that had blocked it but is still pretty rough, again crept down in low range. At the bottom it continues rough for a couple of miles then the road on into San Jose De Magdalena is wide and smooth for the most part. I did this in our old Explorer so more rugged 4wd's would have no problem. Scenery spectacular as usual, it has always been a favorite ride/drive.

JZ - 11-23-2018 at 10:06 PM

It is indeed open again, I drove it about a week ago. Did the loop from Mulege. Between Guadalupe and the steep descent the road is pretty rough. I was in low range for some sections. The descent has been cleared of the boulders that had blocked it but is still pretty rough, again crept down in low range. At the bottom it continues rough for a couple of miles then the road on into San Jose De Magdalena is wide and smooth for the most part. I did this in our old Explorer so more rugged 4wd's would have no problem. Scenery spectacular as usual, it has always been a favorite ride/drive.

Hey Kurt, can you give us more info on this trail? Trying to understand where it is exactly?

motoged - 11-23-2018 at 10:18 PM

JZ,
Others may offer more specific mileage, but there are two ways of doing it:
1) Go west out of Mulege on the route that would take you towards San Juanico....and up the rock-cementwork uphill just past a rancho nestled in a canyon.... continue to a Y junction....there should be a poor bit of signage that direct you west to La Ballena....or north to San Estanislo (sp?) and Guadaloupe....you come to a pass that leads you easterly ...down switchbacks and fantastic scenery and eventually to Magdelena and on to main highway. This downhill section from the pass leads you to a canyon switchback where the road was damaged.

2) From the highway to Magdelena and opposite of #1

If you have Baja Almanac it will be there...

David K - 11-24-2018 at 10:29 AM

JZ, on this 2010 map, the road that Kurt has reported re-opened is the 15.2 mile-long one between the Guadalupe mission and San José de Magdalena. It had been totally obliterated after storms of 2014 (I believe the year was) and was still gone when I was up at the mission in 2017.

motoged - 11-24-2018 at 12:28 PM

David....I knew you would make my route description comprehend-able...:biggrin:

Clear as a sunny day....

David K - 11-24-2018 at 02:48 PM

Ged, always happy to be of service!

JZ - 11-24-2018 at 05:42 PM

Thx guys. I'm getting the picture now. Looks like a fun loop. Have the track for the bottom 1/2 leg.

Anyone have some way points for Guadalupe and SJ de Magalena?

[Edited on 11-25-2018 by JZ]

David K - 11-24-2018 at 05:58 PM

See my Trip #6 report from 2017. There is pretty much one road and is not hard to stay on. The only questionable choice was just west of Mulegé but the two choices going the general direction desired came back together soon. Just north of the sign for the mission site, you take the east fork, uphill. Just ahead is Rancho La Presa and the end of that road. Just go to Google Earth and note gps points you may want.

JZ - 11-24-2018 at 06:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
See my Trip #6 report from 2017. There is pretty much one road and is not hard to stay on. The only questionable choice was just west of Mulegé but the two choices going the general direction desired came back together soon. Just north of the sign for the mission site, you take the east fork, uphill. Just ahead is Rancho La Presa and the end of that road. Just go to Google Earth and note gps points you may want.

Just traced it out on GE. Still need to figure out the exact coordinates of the mission ruins.

TMW - 11-24-2018 at 08:32 PM

Mission Guadalupe ruins is at 26-55.16x112-24.34. David K's Land of Missions book page 215. Add a 0 at the end if necessary.

26-55.160x112-24.340

David K - 11-24-2018 at 08:37 PM

In my trip report #6, I provide even better GPS for the mission church West Wall. The mission is all over the hillside, north and west of the modern cinder block building at the end of the driveway which is beyond a closed gate.

JZ - 11-25-2018 at 02:45 PM

Went through Kurt's log in detail. Looks like the most difficult spot is a 1.5mi stretch between 2 and 3, starting ~25 miles from Mulege. Think we'll give it a go, send the bikes up first to check out that section once we get close.

KurtG - 11-25-2018 at 03:16 PM

Went through Kurt's log in detail. Looks like the most difficult spot is a 1.5mi stretch between 2 and 3, starting ~25 miles from Mulege. Think we'll give it a go, send the bikes up first to check out that section once we get close.

Remember, that trip log was from 6 years ago.

JZ - 11-25-2018 at 04:44 PM

Got it. Imagine it is pretty spectacular at the top and through the switch backs?

[Edited on 11-26-2018 by JZ]

KurtG - 11-25-2018 at 05:12 PM

Got it. Imagine is pretty spectacular at the top and through the switch backs?

Yes, especially the view I mentioned at mile 37.

4x4abc - 11-25-2018 at 09:17 PM

here is the Guajedemi Trail (could not stitch the 3 parts together - sorry)

http://www.baja101.com/Baja-GPS/Guajademi%20trail%201.kmz
http://www.baja101.com/Baja-GPS/Guajademi%20trail%202.kmz
http://www.baja101.com/Baja-GPS/Guajademi%20trail%203.kmz

willyAirstream

David K - 4-22-2019 at 05:17 PM

I am unable to find your trip report for the October 6th trip... can you help?

JZ - 4-22-2019 at 07:26 PM

Next trip to Baja we are finally gonna make a run at this.

[Edited on 4-23-2019 by JZ]

MulegeAL - 4-23-2019 at 07:35 AM

JZ,

Looking forward to hearing how the trip goes!

I chickened out doing it solo this winter, will do it with a strong rider or two. Just couldn't get things to line up with a strong rider & bike when I had time.

But I did do the loop up past the mission and down the box canyon to San Jose de M three times. 95 mile loop, real scenic, no shortage of rocks in the arroyos.

David K - 4-23-2019 at 07:45 AM

JZ,

I chickened out doing it solo this winter, will do it with a strong rider or two. Just couldn't get things to line up with a strong rider & bike when I had time.

But I did do the loop up past the mission and down the box canyon to San Jose de M three times. 95 mile loop, real scenic, no shortage of rocks in the arroyos.

When did you take the Guadalupe to San José de Magdalena road? Richard posted it was repaired and reopened in a post last September, following 5 years of being totally obliterated by storms.

KurtG - 4-23-2019 at 08:16 AM

JZ,

When did you take the Guadalupe to San José de Magdalena road? Richard posted it was repaired and reopened in a post last September, following 5 years of being totally obliterated by storms.

Richard didn't do a follow up as I remember but I posted about my drive through that loop in November. You saw it because you then posted in that thread as well.
Tried to post the link but it is not working for me. Look for 11/25 post in the San Isidro/Mulege thread.

[Edited on 4-23-2019 by KurtG]

[Edited on 4-23-2019 by KurtG]

David K - 4-23-2019 at 08:21 AM

Thanks Kurt, I will look for your post (I am seeking details of the newly opened road so I can update my guide taht it is no longer washed-out). Richard messaged me he cancelled going at the last minute.
Did you take any mileage notes or photos of the repaired road?

KurtG - 4-23-2019 at 08:29 AM

Thanks Kurt, I will look for your post (I am seeking details of the newly opened road so I can update my guide taht it is no longer washed-out). Richard messaged me he cancelled going at the last minute.

No, and I would not describe the road as "repaired," just opened and barely that in places but as I said then my old Explorer had no problem so any 4wd would be fine. That route is well described in "Back Road Baja" and is unchanged since then except for the first couple of miles out of Mulege where roads have changed due to storms.

David K - 4-23-2019 at 09:15 AM

No, and I would not describe the road as "repaired," just opened and barely that in places but as I said then my old Explorer had no problem so any 4wd would be fine. That route is well described in "Back Road Baja" and is unchanged since then except for the first couple of miles out of Mulege where roads have changed due to storms.

I drove from Mulegé to the mission in 2017, using the road toward the Pacific (La Ballena) then turning north and going past San Estanislao. I am seeking new details on the road between San José de Magdalena and the mission. This road was destroyed in 2014 and reported reopened in September 2018. A more recent post says the road is even better, being well-graded.

Higginbotham's 'Backroad Baja' indeed logged the whole loop but did have a mileage error, perhaps a typo, showing it 45.8 miles from Mulegé instead of 40.8. I logged it at 40.5 miles. From the mission on down the repaired road to San José de Magdalena is about 21 miles and 9 more (paved) miles on to Hwy. 1, 27 kms. south of Santa Rosalía.

Here is the AAA map of 2010:

[Edited on 4-23-2019 by David K]

MulegeAL - 4-23-2019 at 09:28 AM

I agree with Kurt, would not describe it as repaired, just passable with good bikes/riders or high clearance rigs with tires good for rock crawling and drivers with good common sense & self-rescue skills/equipment. It's a bit more than a picnic drive to a waterhole.

No where near as good as it was before Jimena. I hesitate to use the word "good" on any of the rancho pass roads out there after all the storm damage last 10 years.

DK, would encourage you to take a pass at posting it as open until you take a stab at driving it yourself to determine how "dotted" the route line will be on your map!

[Edited on 4-23-2019 by MulegeAL]

JZ - 4-23-2019 at 02:56 PM

Anyone know how rough the 53 is between Hwy 1 and San Isidro? Thinking about sending the truck around that way while we take the bikes on the Guajademi Trail.

[Edited on 4-24-2019 by JZ]

David K - 4-23-2019 at 06:09 PM

It was very rough in 2017, detailed in my Trip #2 report. I recalled a recent post that said it has since been regraded. Maybe use search if nobody comes forward.

DouglasP - 4-24-2019 at 04:26 PM

JZ, the road into san isdro/la purisima is doable in a truck, we have always higher clearance but it would be ok in your. Slow going for sure. There is a couple water ccrossings but you will be fine. I have a trip reort i will link if i can find it.

DouglasP - 4-24-2019 at 04:36 PM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=91591#pid1140...
Found it.
The picture with the ledge and rocks is west of la purisma so dont get worried by those pictures.

[Edited on 4-24-2019 by DouglasP]

JZ - 4-24-2019 at 05:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DouglasP  
JZ, the road into san isdro/la purisima is doable in a truck, we have always higher clearance but it would be ok in your. Slow going for sure. There is a couple water ccrossings but you will be fine. I have a trip reort i will link if i can find it.

How long do you think it took you to go from MX 1 to San Isdro. Looks like it's about 32 miles.

David K - 4-24-2019 at 06:24 PM

I agree with Kurt, would not describe it as repaired, just passable with good bikes/riders or high clearance rigs with tires good for rock crawling and drivers with good common sense & self-rescue skills/equipment. It's a bit more than a picnic drive to a waterhole.

No where near as good as it was before Jimena. I hesitate to use the word "good" on any of the rancho pass roads out there after all the storm damage last 10 years.

DK, would encourage you to take a pass at posting it as open until you take a stab at driving it yourself to determine how "dotted" the route line will be on your map!

I think it was Richard (willyAirstream) who said a resident of San José de Magdalena said it was in great shape? I like to hear multiple reports for more confidence in the conditions.

David K - 4-24-2019 at 06:28 PM

How long do you think it took you to go from MX 1 to San Isdro. Looks like it's about 32 miles.

34 miles and 3 hours in 2017, with a couple photo stops.

KurtG - 4-25-2019 at 07:43 AM

I think it was Richard (willyAirstream) who said a resident of San José de Magdalena said it was in great shape? I like to hear multiple reports for more confidence in the conditions.

The road west from San Jose de Magdalena was graded and in good shape for a few miles but that did not extend into the area we are discussing here. I believe that only Al and I have given you first hand descriptions.

David K - 4-25-2019 at 07:52 AM

Is there any chance Richard or one of you guys will do a run, up to Guadalupe from San José de Magdalena? It was Richard who posted at the end of September about it being reopened and although he didn't go on the October 6 trip up he mentioned, he did just message me this:

Cars, trucks, and motos made the trip without problems. They have since widened it and have done some grading. I have not seen it first hand.

I want my road guide to have the most up-to-date details when it does get published as well as I am advising a non-Baja Nomad who wants to go up there.

A signed copy of my book or a pdf of the road guide to whoever helps me on this as a thank you.

[Edited on 4-25-2019 by David K]

DouglasP - 4-25-2019 at 11:18 AM

34 miles and 3 hours in 2017, with a couple photo stops.

Sounds about right.

DouglasP - 4-25-2019 at 11:20 AM

Here are a couple of emails I received from a guy I had met at a function out at Punta Chivato. We exchanged emails so we could get together for a ride. This is his description of the Mulege to San Isidro trail. Email body in quotes.

"There was a ride that came up suddenly and I totally spaced out on calling you. That’s the bad side. The good side is that it turned out to be the expedition from hell. Only two bikes made it through to Isidro over the mountains. Not fun and more than a little hazardous. I'll fill you in sometime in person.

We are headed for Washington State for he Summer soon but I will keep your information. There are several riders from the states who will be coming down next Winter and there WILL be rides!"

"A few minutes of the Chuparosa road from Mulege to Isidro. Worth watching more than once to get a feel for the dangereous dropoffs. The steepness can only be judged by the sounds of the engine. Photos and video flatten things out so much.

The rider is Pagdimer Bukovitz Hernandez. He is a mechanic at the local bike shop and has been riding these roads his whole life. He is on a 300 Kawasaki. The other bike seen is a 450 Honda. Way too much for this road.

There was a CanAm side by side that made it through with some damage. We crawled our way through all of this filmed section with a stone stock 2001 Tracker with street tires and, more amazingly, were followed by a Lexus SUV. Air conditioning and music!

Things went from bad to worse and both the Tracker and Lexus turned back to avoid sheet metal damage."

https://youtu.be/prPPMy9kFuY

JZ - 4-25-2019 at 11:45 AM

Great post Doug. Gives a very good idea of what is involved. Doesn't look too bad on a bike. That guy didn't look like he was use to riding over rocks.

He also desperately needs a Hero 6. It has image stabilization that would take all that shaking out.

DouglasP - 4-25-2019 at 11:51 AM

Great post Doug. Gives a very good idea of what is involved. Doesn't look too bad on a bike. That guy didn't look like he was use to riding over rocks.

He also desperately needs a Hero 6. It has image stabilization that would take all that shaking out.

When do you plan on tackling the trail?

JZ - 4-25-2019 at 11:54 AM

Thinking July. Ride up with one of my friends who is a better rider. Send my kids and another friend around the other way in the truck.

It's too much for my truck w/o getting beat too all hell.

[Edited on 4-27-2019 by JZ]

Jinete Viejo - 4-25-2019 at 03:52 PM

Looked like the guy could ride rocks just fine to me. Looking forward to hearing how the ride through Guajademi Wash is.

TMW - 4-26-2019 at 12:05 PM

Just watching the video the trail doesn't look much different that the two times I've been over it. I assume the bad sections were not in the video. I understand a rock slide blocked the road do you know where that is/was in relation to the video shown?

DouglasP - 4-26-2019 at 12:57 PM

Just watching the video the trail doesn't look much different that the two times I've been over it. I assume the bad sections were not in the video. I understand a rock slide blocked the road do you know where that is/was in relation to the video shown?

I don't, pretty brief emails I got from him. Wish I had known they were going.

HeyMulegeScott - 4-30-2019 at 09:00 AM

The guy in the CanAm is my neighbor Gary. He described it as the trip from hell. They made it eventually to San Juanico but trailered it back to Mulege on the main road. Almost comical that the local guy would try and lead the cars on this trail. "Do you think my Lexus can make it? No problemo."

TMW - 4-30-2019 at 11:59 AM

A lot of times it depends on a drivers experience off road. A few years ago there was a post on here where someone posted that it took them over 8 hours to get from the Comondu's to San Isidro mostly in 4x4 low in their FORD F250. I was down there a couple of weeks later in my GMC Z71 and drove from San Isidro to the Comondu's in 1.5 hours never in 4x4 low and that included a couple of stops for pictures and to talk to a road crew working on the road.

If I don't know someones experience level then I take their opinion that a road is really bad with a grain of salt. I'll listen and be prepared just in case.

HeyMulegeScott - 4-30-2019 at 12:20 PM

A lot of times it depends on a drivers experience off road. A few years ago there was a post on here where someone posted that it took them over 8 hours to get from the Comondu's to San Isidro mostly in 4x4 low in their FORD F250. I was down there a couple of weeks later in my GMC Z71 and drove from San Isidro to the Comondu's in 1.5 hours never in 4x4 low and that included a couple of stops for pictures and to talk to a road crew working on the road.

If I don't know someones experience level then I take their opinion that a road is really bad with a grain of salt. I'll listen and be prepared just in case.

From his description, there's no question those vehicles didn't belong there. Even if the road was in fair condition the rocks down here will eat street tires for lunch.