BajaNomad

Mexican flags

gringorio - 3-11-2005 at 06:26 AM

Mexican flags

Just as sailboat cruisers have a real Mexican courtesy flag flying while sailing in Mexican waters, I?d like to place a *sticker* representation of the Mexican flag on my sea kayak. This would be my way of flying a courtesy flag. I seem to recall a discussion a long while back about the legalities of flying the Mexican flag vs. stickers or representations of the Mexican flag, but don?t remember the final conclusions. So, is placing a sticker of the Mexican flag on my sea kayak an acceptable thing to do?

gringorio
:?:

Bruce R Leech - 3-11-2005 at 07:14 AM

yes it is OK just make sure it is larger and mounted above any other flags while you are in Mexican waters.

4baja - 3-11-2005 at 07:18 AM

i have my beer flag just below my mexican flag.:bounce::coolup:

gringorio - 3-11-2005 at 07:56 AM

I'd like to see a photo of that beer flag! :o

oh.....

yankeeirishman - 3-11-2005 at 08:36 AM

The Mexican flag should always be placed in the forward of any other flag. This is a courtesy on flying flags. Should be too, for decal and ect.

TMW - 3-11-2005 at 08:36 AM

I'll bet it's non-denominational. But I could be wrong and 4baja may be a blue blood single line user. What say ye.

Packoderm - 3-11-2005 at 12:17 PM

Here is a beer flag. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductD...

tim40 - 3-13-2005 at 04:15 PM

Another Flag question. Does Mexico utilize state flags in any fashion as we do for the US? I have never noticed any, or I did not realize what I was looking at. Specifically, does Norte and Sur have their own flags in addition to the National Mexican flag?

I like this flag!

David K - 3-14-2005 at 09:36 PM

It was made by some guy named MEXRAY!

...speaking of flags...

Mexray - 3-14-2005 at 10:34 PM

If your 'Mexican Flag' decal is forward of other flags...what happens when you are 'backing' with your kayak? :D

speaking of flags...I found a neat one...the pic's kinda small but it says:

'Time flies....When You're Having Rum'

If you go to www.flappinflags.com you can see their whole line of Pirate flags, along with some others. They don't sell retail from their web site, but they do list a bunch of their dealers that do. I found mine at one of those 'gipp-joints' on fisherman's wharf in San Francisco...just had to have it!

Baja California Flag

Packoderm - 3-15-2005 at 12:39 AM

http://atlasgeo.span.ch/fotw/flags/mx-bca.html

Baja California Sur Flag?

Packoderm - 3-15-2005 at 12:47 AM

Apparently, Baja California Sur has no official flag, but one in white charged with the coat of arms is broadly used.
http://www.fotw.net/flags/mx-bcs.html

The Republic of Lower California

David K - 3-15-2005 at 12:52 AM

Later renamed the Republic of Sonora with two stars and stripes for the two states (for Lower California and Sonora)
Here are a couple versions of William Walker's flags from 1853 -54

David K - 3-15-2005 at 12:56 AM

Here is the state flag of Lower California when part of the Repuplic of Sonora. The year is when the independant state was created ('liberated' from Mexico) by Colonel Walker...:lol:

1st Alta California Flag

Packoderm - 3-15-2005 at 01:11 AM

California was an independent republic which was then stolen by the U.S.

Pompano - 3-15-2005 at 05:07 AM

Packoderm...I am a history enthusiast! The flag you show is a photo of the homemade flag made by Americans near Sonoma. In the spring of 1846 rumors were circulating of an imminent war between Mexico and the United States. June 10th, Americans near Sonoma took up arms and declared an independent California Republic with a homemade flage bearing a single star ane the painted image of a grizzly, thus earning their uprising the name of the Bear Flag Revolt. There was a American named Fremont who had led a party of a topographical engineers to survey the passes through the mountains into California..they joined the rebels in their short-lived republic, which ended on July 9, when the Americans learned that their nation and Mexico were officially at war and that an American battleship lay in Monterey harbor. Fremont and his men enlisted in the official military operations, and the California Republic ceased to exist. It lasted about 30 days.

That was a very interesting time in California and Baja history. Not to mention the preceding 200 years...but that's a story for another time!!!

David K - 3-15-2005 at 09:26 AM

When Pio Pico (the Mexican governor of California) fled California at the creation of the Bear Flag Republic, he stayed in this house... A few years later, William Walker used the very same house as his capitol (Republic of Lower California). It is in San Vicente...