BajaNomad

Mexico Diesel Fuel Update for 2018 and Beyond

MexicoDiesel - 9-26-2018 at 05:30 PM

It's that time of the year again - Snowbirds are preparing to head south for the winter, so it's also time to post an update regarding the availability of Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) in Mexico.

Drum roll please, because this looks like it will be the last time I have to post an update. The diesel fuel at all of the retail outlets in Mexico is now ULSD, meaning that the days of pumping high sulfur diesel fuel in Mexico are over.

All of Pemex's diesel producing refineries have been updated with desulfuring plants and Pemex is listing all of it's diesel production as ULSD, 15ppm or less of sulfur. You can see the information in the first paragraph at this Pemex link:

http://www.pemex.com/comercializacion/productos/Paginas/refinados/diesel.aspx

So, it's time for me to retire from assisting owners of late model diesels, and all of you out there who have been saying you won't risk trading in your old tired out-dated diesel can finally go and buy a new one.

Have a great winter in Mexico

Howard - 9-26-2018 at 07:20 PM

Thank you for taking the time to post such informative information.

watizname - 10-29-2018 at 08:32 AM

Well, now I have 6 beautiful yellow no spill diesel gas cans to put on the mantel. :bounce::bounce:

TMW - 10-29-2018 at 08:44 AM

Good news for diesel owners, thanks.

crowbar - 10-29-2018 at 10:25 AM

Darn!!! My old 96 ford powerstroke just loves the old diesel in mexico and is so quiet and gets better mileage even with the short changing by the gas stations in mexico.

bajaguy - 10-29-2018 at 10:52 AM

I wouldn't do a happy dance about ULSD in Baja Sur until I see some official public announcement from PEMEX

David K - 10-29-2018 at 11:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
I wouldn't do a happy dance about ULSD in Baja Sur until I see some official public announcement from PEMEX

I would be happy just to see a photo of a Baja Sur Pemex (or the other brands now) with UBA (Ultra Bajo Azufre) signage instead of just BA (Bajo Azufre).

JZ - 10-29-2018 at 11:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

Ran mine down there over the summer.

Usually a few tanks of non USLD sets off codes in my truck.

This time it did not.