BajaNomad

two trips

white whale - 10-1-2018 at 10:24 AM

I know this is way beyond advance planning but I'll throw it out anyway,
makes my ideas seem more real at least. A rusty bucket list. One trip sort of normal, and one that could be Deliverance on two wheels, minus the archery angle.

Specific to the forum here was a recent post on whale sharks and their annual summer migration LA Bay area
right up to the shallow waters where you can camp. I have seen some drone clips on YT
that are beyond amazing. And yes I have been advised while I visited Bahia, from the expats at the museum
the summer temps (can) resemble a steel mill blast furnace. I would potentially time this to August / Sept / Oct 2019.
Part of this would be to combine either back up or down the map with the Burning Man festival. Reno is about half way for me
so why not make it part of the adventure. Never been so another one on my list.
I have a Sprinter Van cargo high top long that I am starting to camperize. A month+ travel time? Not something I've figured out just yet.
Complete, portion, pickup or whatever.

Second, yes off the grid on this thread but what the hell ,I can still dream..., a 3+?? month bikepacking bicycle trip. Great Divide route + Baja Divide trip from Jasper AB to San Jose Del Cabo. I learned about the baja portion at my first stop, on my first baja day. Just an awesome adventure I would love to pull off before I go into the ground. Would be great to do a portion with someone.
I was so impressed with the biking options in Baja, brave soles who stick to the paved roads.
I talked to many and they all had nothing but great memories. The baja portion is mainly offroad so the no shoulder paved roads
don't matter. This is a major committment in planning , the only thing that is a definite is the starting time of june/july in canada
because of snow conditions once the Divide portion hits the mountain trail areas in the northwest US and have to end something like sept/oct.

If either piques any interest or you have suggestions
drop me a note.

AKgringo - 10-1-2018 at 10:56 AM

Sounds like a great, ambitious dream! Make it happen soon, before life's events conspire to take it out of reach. Advancing age or health concerns come to mind.

In keeping with the deliverance theme, anyone thinking of traveling with you deserves to know how you felt about the "squeal like a pig" scenes! I still tend to cringe when I hear banjos!

JZ - 10-1-2018 at 11:50 AM

BoLA is great August to October. I laugh when ppl cry about a little heat. I've been in our Zodiac with the kids surrounded by the whales. They are big!

Yay, I'd pass on the bike riding. Buy yourself a good enduro. You'll see so much more.

advrider - 10-1-2018 at 08:03 PM

I'm with JZ, I'll follow along on my KTM. I can play water boy on the moto for a couple of days or run sweep in the sxs... Sounds like an awesome trip. I'm planning on doing the PCT from Mexico to Canada in one shot as soon as I retire. only time I can get 5 months off.

mtgoat666 - 5-24-2019 at 07:06 AM

Skip burning man. Its now just suburban squares and tourists.

Dont do baja in august. The heat makes it miserable.

wilderone - 5-24-2019 at 07:40 AM

The Sprinter van trip in summer to see whale sharks is totally doable. For many years we always went in Summer. The days are incredibly long - dusk at 8:00 pm - so you get up early, make the most of your cool (which will be about 72 at sunrise) mornings, follow the shade, stay hydrated, keep near the water. Forget about any hiking longer than a mile - even that is uncomfortable - take it slow, bring lots of water and electrolyte packs to mix. There are also whale sharks in La Paz. Not guaranteed at any specific time, especially close to shore, so your quest may take more than one outing. Bring some method of creating shade. After your road trip, you can gauge a bicycle trip for yourself. A Baja trip later in the year (Oct. - Feb.) would be so much more rewarding given your efforts/expense, with epic whale watching, etc. Fly in for burning man - leave.

msdmer - 8-13-2019 at 03:57 AM

What is BoLa??

ehall - 8-13-2019 at 04:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by msdmer  
What is BoLa??

Bay of los angelos

4x4abc - 8-13-2019 at 07:58 AM

Bahia de los Angeles