BajaNomad

Trader Joe's La Paz

weebray - 10-11-2018 at 12:58 PM

My wife always sez if we had a TJ's we would never leave La P. Well, we're one step closer. Today I discovered a hidden treasure. Toyo Foods. Hidden because they have no sign and are set back from the street. Leaning toward Japanese cuisine they cover asian cooking supplies very well. Methinks it would be a must visit for shoppers from nearby. They are on the 16th of Sept. (1030) just past Primo Verdad on the left. Go slow, really hard to see and no sign outside. 612.122.2162 U2U if you need help

bajalinda - 10-11-2018 at 01:01 PM

Thanks weebray - will check it out.

charliemanson - 10-11-2018 at 02:05 PM

Muy bien. Thanks, Even my wife has not heard of that place and she is from L:a Paz!

pacificobob - 10-12-2018 at 07:43 AM

WB,i will be checking that out. thanks

4x4abc - 10-12-2018 at 08:03 AM

"Trader Joe's in La Paz?" almost gave me a heart attack.

weebray - 10-12-2018 at 09:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by charliemanson  
Muy bien. Thanks, Even my wife has not heard of that place and she is from L:a Paz!

Yo tambien. I stumbled upon it. It really is a bonanza for us that enjoy a respite from fish tacos once in a while. Note that this store has much more than just rice and soy sauce. It is filled with jars and bags of ????. You will need an interpreter. Most items are in Japanese only - no english or spanish. Don't miss the 22peso desserts in the refrigerator.

Toyo Foods

Correcthor - 10-16-2018 at 09:58 AM

Good place indeed.
They have a website:
https://www.toyofoods.com.mx

BajaBlanca - 10-16-2018 at 07:28 PM

Wow, you could have found this while we were there hahaha

Good excuse to go back! Thanks for sharing your treasure.

surabi - 10-16-2018 at 10:07 PM

There's a Toyo in Puerto Vallarta as well. I didn't realize they're a chain? The one in PV is also a tucked-away hole in the wall. Found tahini there, as well as miso. All kinds of Asian rice snacks, and other goodies.

[Edited on 10-17-2018 by surabi]

weebray - 10-17-2018 at 08:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
There's a Toyo in Puerto Vallarta as well. I didn't realize they're a chain? The one in PV is also a tucked-away hole in the wall. Found tahini there, as well as miso. All kinds of Asian rice snacks, and other goodies.

Confirmed. The mgr. here in La Paz sez their warehouses are in TJ and Guadalajara and most stuff on their website is available in about a week if it's not in stock. Don't forget to try the little sweets in the refrigerator case. Devine subtle flavors.

motoged - 10-18-2018 at 09:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

Tahini and miso.....if you mix the two (portion ratio to be determined by your taste....more tahini than miso), it makes a very nice spread for toast, sandwiches, crackers, etc....

Don't knock it before you try it.....sure beats Marmite ;D

And it gives you those gut bacteria you need...