BajaNomad

Status of Baja 1000???

thebajarunner - 10-11-2018 at 04:00 PM

So, reading about a huge fine that SCORE has been assessed (and not paid)
Reading and seeing the scenes of post-Rosa mess (With Sergio right on its heels)
What is the status of the race?
Back in the day (yeah, I know some of us are getting old) we never had a 500 or 1000 canceled but I guess there is always a first time.
Anyone out there have more info on the situation with the Score vs. Government deal?
Any other rumors on race status?

bajatrailrider - 10-11-2018 at 04:39 PM

They have changed the course one day before race to fix problems. Most of the problems with fines in the past. They ruin ranchers road promise to blade it after race. Don't do it just say well we paid the tractor guy so now its pay up or no go.

Ken Cooke - 10-11-2018 at 08:07 PM

The Baja 1000 was suspended. It's not going to happen.

wessongroup - 10-11-2018 at 08:50 PM

To bad .. However, compared to what it was in the start .... It was just a matter of time .... back in 67, it was just a handful of cars and some bikes ... Nothing like what it evolved into

https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/baja_racing_history...

Bajaboy - 10-11-2018 at 09:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
The Baja 1000 was suspended. It's not going to happen.


I'll bet you a Ballena it happens:biggrin:

Maderita - 10-11-2018 at 10:11 PM

http://www.elvigia.net/general/2018/10/11/suspenden-carrera-...

If I'm translating that correctly, the fine is about $28,000 USD. SCORE and/or sponsors can certainly pay that fine. Then it seems they can get on with racing. Perhaps with some route adjustments.

ehall - 10-12-2018 at 04:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
The Baja 1000 was suspended. It's not going to happen.


I'll bet you a Ballena it happens:biggrin:


I second that. Make mine pacifico Ken.

thebajarunner - 10-12-2018 at 08:27 AM

Too much big money involved to cancel it.
The merchants, the hotel folks, and most of all the government dudes who are well greased out of the big money pot.
I see this as the typical posturing.
Pay some of the fine, save face all around and
"Let's go racin' boys"

David K - 10-12-2018 at 08:39 AM

So much fake news! Fulano forum must be the CNN of Baja news?

The Score races bring millions to Baja for all the business to hotels, restaurants, shops, Pemex, camping, and is hugely popular with locals. The enviros may think they are punishings Score or knuckle-dragging off-road racing Americans but the Mexicans are 10 times greater in number at these events, if not way more.

freediverbrian - 10-12-2018 at 11:17 AM

Fishing tournaments learned how to catch and release biilfish ,bring millons to the Mexican economy and not effect the ecosystem. Is it too much to hope that score will try to step up and do the right thing?

SFandH - 10-12-2018 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
Fishing tournaments learned how to catch and release biilfish ,bring millons to the Mexican economy and not effect the ecosystem. Is it too much to hope that score will try to step up and do the right thing?


That's an interesting point. Does SCORE stay behind for the following few days and help with the clean-up / repair or is the aftermath left to the locals to deal with?



[Edited on 10-12-2018 by SFandH]

PaulW - 10-12-2018 at 02:06 PM

Locals do the cleanup if they do not like what the locals left behind. Not a SCORE problem. Except for violations of the environmental permit the state is responsible for damages that occur such as road grading, rancher fence repair, etc.

David K - 10-12-2018 at 04:35 PM

SCORE pays local Mexican contractors, as per the arrangement with Baja officials. We know from past experience that these Mexican contractors take the money but never run the grader over the damaged road after the race. So, who's fault is that? I think not SCORE's!

JoeJustJoe - 10-12-2018 at 05:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
SCORE pays local Mexican contractors, as per the arrangement with Baja officials. We know from past experience that these Mexican contractors take the money but never run the grader over the damaged road after the race. So, who's fault is that? I think not SCORE's!


Only an idiot, would pay a contractor 100% in full before the start of a project.

So if what you say is true, than it would be SCORE's fault for continuing being taken for a ride every year by the same Mexican contractors.

Bajaboy - 10-12-2018 at 06:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
So much fake news! Fulano forum must be the CNN of Baja news?

The Score races bring millions to Baja for all the business to hotels, restaurants, shops, Pemex, camping, and is hugely popular with locals. The enviros may think they are punishings Score or knuckle-dragging off-road racing Americans but the Mexicans are 10 times greater in number at these events, if not way more.


Why do you always need to go political:?:

Hook - 10-12-2018 at 07:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
So much fake news! Fulano forum must be the CNN of Baja news?

The Score races bring millions to Baja for all the business to hotels, restaurants, shops, Pemex, camping, and is hugely popular with locals. The enviros may think they are punishings Score or knuckle-dragging off-road racing Americans but the Mexicans are 10 times greater in number at these events, if not way more.


Why do you always need to go political:?:


Herd mentality. Strength in the herd. Herds arent known for reasoning. Only for moving in a single direction, for a single motive.

That's all you get, when your principles are compromised by "profit only" mentality.

It's a rather narrow existence............

Sorry, David. You are a great asset to this board, but you should broaden your political horizons. There is more than the Almighty Dollar and the Peso so clearly tied to it.

David K - 10-12-2018 at 08:39 PM

Just thinking of the people over special interest ideology. If you don't agree with me that is fine.

freediverbrian - 10-12-2018 at 09:51 PM

Paying someone to do your job dose not relive of your responsibility. If SCORE is responsible for work to be done , shaking your head and saying it's not on us is a lousy excuse. It's on your watch do the job .

Alm - 10-12-2018 at 10:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Just thinking of the people over special interest ideology.

There are more people who are not interested and even opposed to this enterprise. Most locals, i.e. people in the villages, don't want it here. Just my 2 cents.

PaulW - 10-13-2018 at 05:49 AM

Some people do not believe what has been factually written. Per the arrangement between SCORE (and ALL the other race promoters) with the government the race promoter has no responsibility for damages as a result of a race. That task is the government responsibility. That is how it has always been done. Most of the time there is no contractor and no government involvement for road work. What happens is stipends are given to the local residents for such things as fuel for their personal or a community grader.
And yes, the government does a crappy task for their side of the issue. It is just how Mexico works. The road repair stipends are only done for the ranchers or locals who raise a big stink. Some just don't care and do not get any help because they just keep quiet. In the unlikely event that infrastructure is damaged then the government fixes it. An example would be a damaged guard rail or paved road shoulder damage. There have been rare occasions where the government repaired a secondary dirt road. An example is the crossover road from Valley Trinidad to Hwy 1 which is heavily used by locals and most of the time the government fixes the road, but it is never done timely manner.

Baja 1000 will proceed as planned

John M - 10-13-2018 at 06:58 AM

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/baja-1000-race-will-go-ahea...

Hook - 10-13-2018 at 07:11 AM

In any event, I believe this is just posturing to wring more money out of SCORE. Seems like SOP.

Of course, IF the money is paid, none of it will go to actually mitigating the effects of the race. That's SOP in Mexico, as well.

It will go to mitigating Xmas shopping expenses for the officials involved, IMCO.

JoeJustJoe - 10-13-2018 at 07:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Some people do not believe what has been factually written. Per the arrangement between SCORE (and ALL the other race promoters) with the government the race promoter has no responsibility for damages as a result of a race. That task is the government responsibility. That is how it has always been done. Most of the time there is no contractor and no government involvement for road work. What happens is stipends are given to the local residents for such things as fuel for their personal or a community grader.
And yes, the government does a crappy task for their side of the issue. It is just how Mexico works. The road repair stipends are only done for the ranchers or locals who raise a big stink. Some just don't care and do not get any help because they just keep quiet. In the unlikely event that infrastructure is damaged then the government fixes it. An example would be a damaged guard rail or paved road shoulder damage. There have been rare occasions where the government repaired a secondary dirt road. An example is the crossover road from Valley Trinidad to Hwy 1 which is heavily used by locals and most of the time the government fixes the road, but it is never done timely manner.


I haven't read a more ridiculous post in a long time.

Paul W said:" race promoter has no responsibility for damages as a result of a race."

I think the Mexican Government, and EPA, has told the race promoters something different about running the race course over protected areas in Baja.

I see not one Baja race apologists see the Mexican government, has a valid interest in protecting the Baja enviroment, wildlife, and rare plants as much as possible, and getting on the backs of the race promoters to insure the race course does as little damage as possible.

Oh no to hear some here, its only all about shaking down the race promoters, who are making tons of money off this event, but who owe nothing about cleaning up the mess they make.

The Mexicans, just should be grateful that they are thrown a bone with a little scrap of meat on it, so some of them could also make a few extra pesos off the crowds of people.



[Edited on 10-13-2018 by JoeJustJoe]

greengoes - 10-13-2018 at 09:12 AM

Some folks have admitted to putting livestock on the road to collect money when run over by racers.

It's a money maker and that's all that matters. Those fines were just the opening negotiations.

¬°Orale!

Ken Cooke - 10-13-2018 at 09:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/baja-1000-race-will-go-ahea...


Very good news! This will most likely be discussed at today's Off Road Expo in Pomona.

Alm - 10-13-2018 at 09:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

Of course, IF the money is paid, none of it will go to actually mitigating the effects of the race. That's SOP in Mexico, as well.

Yep, this is how it works in Mexico. That's why locals don't want it here. Not some "special interests group".

willardguy - 10-13-2018 at 11:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
Quote: Originally posted by John M  
https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/baja-1000-race-will-go-ahea...


Very good news! This will most likely be discussed at today's Off Road Expo in Pomona.


didn't you miss it by a couple weeks:?:

norte - 10-13-2018 at 05:18 PM

I wonder if these guys stop and lower their air pressure.

PaulW - 10-14-2018 at 05:24 AM

Never. Because the real concern is that a lower pressure would damage the wheel or destroy the tire due to the rocks that are so common on Baja. The result is if a racer comes up on a jam up like in the silt beds then they get stuck and the support trucks show up with straps. Success as a racer is momentum - meaning go as fast as possible and get thru the low traction places as fast as possible.
The silt beds are not as bad and L Salida when flooded. Rarely we see a rig stop and deflate. 99% of the racers that get stuck just wait for a good Samaritan with long straps and a winch. These rescues on the flooded lake bed are really epic. Good thing they don't happen very often or the racer would not come back.

TMW - 10-14-2018 at 10:42 AM

Several years ago when Vanderway raced his class 8 cow truck with BFG race tires he ran 24psi. I think they were 35 inch tires. Mike Doherty in his class 8 broke a rear axle at a SF250 race which made him a one wheel drive truck. He kept getting stuck so finally we lowered the tire pressure to 4 psi and he made it from Morelia jct to the end of Matomi wash where a race buggy was stuck. When Mike tried to back up and get around him he got stuck too. That ended his race. I was amazed at what he was able to drive thru up to that point.

[Edited on 10-14-2018 by TMW]

pacificobob - 10-15-2018 at 11:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
I wonder if these guys stop and lower their air pressure.


i believe they do. ....right after the reference posts by the various "off-road gods" of baja nomad for helpful tips.

motoged - 10-15-2018 at 11:27 AM

Well, after the tire pressure thread wears out, we can all be entertained by a tire thread, oil thread, vehicle make preferences thread...


TMW - 10-15-2018 at 12:31 PM

You do know you can use automatic tranny fluid in the engine if you don't have engine oil and you can use engine oil in the tranny if you don't have tranny fluid. Been there done that.

motoged - 10-15-2018 at 12:41 PM

.... I told ya.....:biggrin:

JoeJustJoe - 10-15-2018 at 01:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
You do know you can use automatic tranny fluid in the engine if you don't have engine oil and you can use engine oil in the tranny if you don't have tranny fluid. Been there done that.


This doesn't sound like a good idea, and another reason why I rarely heed the advise I find on this forum.

TMW - 10-15-2018 at 05:14 PM

When you are in the middle of nowhere and that's all you got it's your choice. Stay and die or get moving.

willardguy - 10-15-2018 at 05:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
When you are in the middle of nowhere and that's all you got it's your choice. Stay and die or get moving.


remember super hunky running 500-1 gun oil.....whatever it takes ;)

David K - 10-15-2018 at 05:26 PM

Jet fuel and kerosene are almost the same things... just saying. :lol:

pacificobob - 10-15-2018 at 05:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
.... I told ya.....:biggrin:

haha, right on que!

bajatrailrider - 10-16-2018 at 08:01 PM

Well Aim your two cents wrong the locals do like it. Anyone that lives here knows that.

mtgoat666 - 10-16-2018 at 09:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
You do know you can use automatic tranny fluid in the engine if you don't have engine oil and you can use engine oil in the tranny if you don't have tranny fluid. Been there done that.


Another helpful tip: when making a whiskey c-cktail, you can use rye in place of bourbon, and vice versa.
Also, tap water can be substituted for bottled spring water - after you become acustomed to it, it pretty much tastes the same.