BajaNomad

US Collision Insurance Policies in Mexico

coolhand - 10-15-2018 at 07:23 PM

Which US. insurance companies include collision insurance 50 miles south of the border? I know liability is needed, but I heard some US companies include collision insurance to a certain point south.

US insurance in Mexico

John M - 10-15-2018 at 08:49 PM

Long story short - we were involved in a moderate accident in Tijuana and our Mexican insurance was deemed invalid because we were towing and hadn't made that clear when we got the Mexican policy.

We ended up paying for damage to the other guy's car there in Tijuana, got a ticket for a questionable violation. Got home called our Allstate agent (back when you actually had an agent that was there to help) and he got us a check for our out of pocket we paid in Baja, as well as getting our cars fixed.

At the time our Allstate policy was good for 75 miles across the border.

John M

JZ - 10-15-2018 at 10:51 PM

Progressive use to cover boats in MX. Haven't look at them in about 7 years tho.

TMW - 10-16-2018 at 08:29 AM

John M is right Allstate covers your vehicle up to 75 miles below the border. When I asked my agent how they would know I was 75 miles below the border he said "isn't everywhere in Baja 75 miles within the border".

All kidding aside I was in a wreck just south of Mexicali in 2007 and Allstate totaled my truck and payed off.

David K - 10-16-2018 at 11:55 AM

State Farm does.