BajaNomad

Map app with offline satellite capability?

Goyo - 10-17-2018 at 07:12 AM

Do any of you know of an app for my android tablet that will allow me to download satellite maps for when I don't have internet connectivity? My tablet is GPS-enabled. If such product exists, I'm presuming it's not free, which is not a problem. I am aware of apps that have topo maps for offline use. But I'm specifically looking for satellite maps.

Thanks in advance!

Jack Swords - 10-17-2018 at 07:18 AM

You might already have the capability you want. Have you tried using Google Earth and going over the area you are interested in (geographically and elevation) while online? GE retains that data and you can use it offline with your GPS. We found it excellent for use in Baja as the dirt roads show up well in GE. Hitting the GPS button puts a blue circle on your current position, moving as you move down the road.

ehall - 10-17-2018 at 07:20 AM

on my ipad I downloaded maps onto Motion x app.

aburruss - 10-17-2018 at 07:59 AM

Gaia GPS app for iphone and android has this functionality. Also lets you record your track, plot waypoints, etc. etc.

StuckSucks - 10-17-2018 at 08:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by aburruss  
Gaia GPS app for iphone and android has this functionality. Also lets you record your track, plot waypoints, etc. etc.

I am a big fan of Gaia GPS -- works great offline (plus all the other cool functionality). I use this to augment my truck's built-in Lowrance GPS.

off line

John M - 10-17-2018 at 08:41 AM

Don't take this to the bank but I understand (no, really I do not understand) but have read that if you increase the memory cache on Google earth you will retain better performance off line.

In Google Earth, tools, options, cache - it will allow for an increase up to 1/2 the RAM

John M

soylent_green - 10-17-2018 at 01:25 PM

LeadNav, but it only works on iPad and Iphone
https://leadnavsystems.com

ehall - 10-17-2018 at 02:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soylent_green  
LeadNav, but it only works on iPad and Iphone
https://leadnavsystems.com

That looks great. Might have to try it.

Goyo - 10-17-2018 at 02:28 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I had the free version of Gaia not knowing that they had a subscription option which gives the satellite map functionality. Ironically, a friend was telling me about Gaia. He must have been referring to the subscription service, as opposed to the free one with limited map-viewing options. So, I just signed-up. There's a discount for a multiple year subscription. I paid $60 for 5 years which seems like a bargain. Having the ability to look at satellite maps will give me piece of mind when travelling solo in those areas that have a bunch of spider roads going all over the place.

Thanks again!

StuckSucks - 10-17-2018 at 03:15 PM

You'll be happy with Gaia. Here is an example output of tracking (easy to overlay course on a map):

Here is what an older version of the app looks like. I imported the Baja Sur 500 course (red) and chase roads (green) into Gaia which I use along side my truck's built-in Lowrance GPS. Of course you can zoom way the hell in to see real detail. The gold triangle is your current location (I was flying out of Loreto at the time of the screenshot).

JZ - 10-17-2018 at 03:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
on my ipad I downloaded maps onto Motion x app.

I haven't used Gaia yet, but for sure Back Country Navigator is MUCH better than MotionX. MotionX is a pain in the ass to import tracks from Google Earth.

I've read some reviews that say Gaia is even better than BCN, so I'll give it a look.

But burn that MotionX. My kids run it on their iPhones and it's bad.

JZ - 10-17-2018 at 03:56 PM

As a side note, BCN is planning a brand new app, Back Country Navigator XE.

Brand new UI, cloud mapping, and iPhone support (Android only today).

Targeting December.

[Edited on 10-18-2018 by JZ]

DouglasP - 10-17-2018 at 05:44 PM

One of the issues I have when downloading satellite maps for offline, is the files are very large. Gaia limits you to 1000 tiles per download. Which is a fairly small area. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. :?:

willyAirstream - 10-18-2018 at 06:26 AM

Back country Navy pro is great. BCN XE, is. In beta and I am a beta tester , will down load any vector map and there is a version for apple. Both are available now. Final versions due in DEC Jan. One time fee, 10usd, most maps are free and no subscription.

JZ - 10-18-2018 at 08:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willyAirstream  
Back country Navy pro is great. BCN XE, is. In beta and I am a beta tester , will down load any vector map and there is a version for apple. Both are available now. Final versions due in DEC Jan. One time fee, 10usd, most maps are free and no subscription.

How does the new UI look?

willyAirstream - 10-18-2018 at 08:43 AM

The UI is even easier to use. You can download the beta and take it for a spin.

JZ - 10-18-2018 at 09:28 AM

Looks like Gaia has lost some of it's satellite imagery.

https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/1150080146...

StuckSucks - 10-18-2018 at 10:44 AM

Here are the different maps available with Gaia:

... and drilling down to satellite imagery, here are the options. The items with red Xs are the maps I am currently using (Google, OSM, Mapbox).

JZ - 10-18-2018 at 11:33 AM

Very helpful SS.

I wonder if the World Imagery from Google is still available for new subscribers. The link I posted suggested it isn't. Hope it is.

JZ - 10-18-2018 at 11:40 AM

Just installed it. Here is what I see for satelite imagery. Looks like you might be grandfathered in with Google (don't lose your phone).

I wonder how good the Mapbox source is?

StuckSucks - 10-18-2018 at 01:40 PM

San Francisquito, Google top, Mapbox bottom. I just realized I'm lucky to be grandfathered with Google Maps.

JZ - 10-18-2018 at 03:13 PM

Mapbox looks pretty good. This is the closest I can get on BCN. Pier behind Beto's place at San Francisquito.

willyAirstream - 10-18-2018 at 05:37 PM

David K are you reading this thread? Are your newly made maps scalable vector images ?

David K - 10-18-2018 at 10:13 PM

David K are you reading this thread? Are your newly made maps scalable vector images ?

Hi Richard,
I have glanced at it, yes. I will be replacing my phone soon (it is really old, at 3 years, or so)! I would like to try these Gaia downloads if I get back to Baja much. I did so many miles the past two years, like when I met you at La Purísima in February 2017, I think it was?
I do not know what a "vector image" is, so maybe they are or not?
I will seek your help soon to do that mission cataloging thing on Facebook. Still busy with my recent move much of the day.

willyAirstream - 10-19-2018 at 07:05 AM

David, are your maps saved as jpg, tiff or PNG? Or saved out as svg. or dxf or?
What program are you using to make the maps?

David K - 10-19-2018 at 08:37 AM

David, are your maps saved as jpg, tiff or PNG? Or saved out as svg. or dxf or?
What program are you using to make the maps?

Jpg.
Word.
Thanks!

[Edited on 10-19-2018 by David K]

willyAirstream - 10-19-2018 at 08:54 AM

too bad, they will not be able to be imported. Using Word for graphics??? Try a program designed to make maps , vector maps.

David K - 10-19-2018 at 11:47 AM

too bad, they will not be able to be imported. Using Word for graphics??? Try a program designed to make maps , vector maps.

It is a multi-step process and Word is just one of the steps (where I get the lines for the roads, text for place names). The base maps (terrain, coastline, and just federal highways) is from an Internet map source (ArcGIS). It is one that allows you to flip from terrain map to satellite images. That is how I am able to correctly show roads I have traveled or mentioned in my guide. I draw the line for a road right over the road as seen from space. Then I flip to the terrain map to use.

Basically, I had to invent my own method to make maps to show only the things I wanted to show, Google and other maps have wrong names for places in Baja way too often. I didn't want a map so cluttered with data beyond what is needed to show the roads in my guide that it would be too busy to easily use. I hope to someday see or help make a new Baja Almanac which would show everything.

What is a program to make maps or vector maps (link please)?

willyAirstream - 10-19-2018 at 12:32 PM

https://goo.gl/1bxQWZ

StuckSucks - 10-19-2018 at 12:46 PM

It appears exporting from Word to an appropriate format could be a challenge, no?

David K - 10-19-2018 at 01:19 PM

https://goo.gl/1bxQWZ

That goes to a Google search page.
If you have done this I would like the link to the one you use and that way we are on the same page to get you what you want.

willyAirstream - 10-19-2018 at 01:37 PM

i use inkscape for vector graphics it is free - open source.
you will need the search page to get familiar with the basics, before you begin

David K - 10-19-2018 at 02:10 PM

i use inkscape for vector graphics it is free - open source.
you will need the search page to get familiar with the basics, before you begin

From the link you gave me, I looked at three pages and saw no "inkscape" listed. I certainly may have missed it, I am feeling old! I am trying to help Richard... but I have a few other things going on so a link (or more) that you use would do wonders.

mtgoat666 - 10-19-2018 at 02:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

It is a multi-step process and Word is just one of the steps (where I get the lines for the roads, text for place names). The base maps (terrain, coastline, and just federal highways) is from an Internet map source (ArcGIS). It is one that allows you to flip from terrain map to satellite images. That is how I am able to correctly show roads I have traveled or mentioned in my guide. I draw the line for a road right over the road as seen from space. Then I flip to the terrain map to use.

Basically, I had to invent my own method to make maps to show only the things I wanted to show, Google and other maps have wrong names for places in Baja way too often. I didn't want a map so cluttered with data beyond what is needed to show the roads in my guide that it would be too busy to easily use. I hope to someday see or help make a new Baja Almanac which would show everything.

What is a program to make maps or vector maps (link please)?

Don’t use Word!
Use ESRI ArcGIS. It’s expensive, but you can use the student version for cheap.

willyAirstream - 10-19-2018 at 02:50 PM

google inkscape gives you this link
https://inkscape.org/release/0.92.3/

Inkscape is only good to copy bitmap images and add text and routes etc all in vector. It is not a true map builder. ( but way better than Word
) Start with the link above and goats link and begin your research.
for printing you will need a non compressed file type like tiff or pdf at 300dpi or a vector image. So building a map in vector format solves both.

David K - 10-19-2018 at 03:25 PM

Again, Word is used only for text and lines. It was one of several steps I discovered how to make a map that showed what I wanted to show.

I thought I showed everyone here how I made my maps last year?

In any case, thanks for the link.

unbob - 10-28-2018 at 08:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Goyo  
There's a discount for a multiple year subscription. I paid $60 for 5 years which seems like a bargain.
$48 for 5 years - https://www.gaiagps.com/adventure_alan/

unbob - 10-28-2018 at 08:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
You'll be happy with Gaia. Here is an example output of tracking (easy to overlay course on a map):

Here is what an older version of the app looks like. I imported the Baja Sur 500 course (red) and chase roads (green) into Gaia which I use along side my truck's built-in Lowrance GPS. Of course you can zoom way the hell in to see real detail. The gold triangle is your current location (I was flying out of Loreto at the time of the screenshot).

Where is "Elapsed Time" or "Record Duration" ???

StuckSucks - 10-29-2018 at 09:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by unbob  

Where is "Elapsed Time" or "Record Duration" ???

Look at the bottom of the screen where it says "press and hold, and current speed and altitude." Those are all selectable with about a dozen or more flavors of data to display. On the newer version of the app, they are at the top:

Goyo - 10-29-2018 at 08:38 PM

Thanks everyone for posting all the screen shots! Looks great.

wyatthurley55 - 10-30-2018 at 07:50 AM

I personally use Leadnav 4-5 times a month and have never had any problems. All my racing buddies use it and prefer it over there high dollar Lowrance units. Thats where I'd put my money.

JZ - 10-30-2018 at 07:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wyatthurley55  
I personally use Leadnav 4-5 times a month and have never had any problems. All my racing buddies use it and prefer it over there high dollar Lowrance units. Thats where I'd put my money.

iPhone/iPad only. Back Country Navigator XE and Gaia support both Android and iPhone, so are better options.

What these guys really do is package up stuff that is already available and charge a premium. They sell you an iPad with a custom case that makes it tougher. They sell you a GPS antenna that you can get on Amazon and put a mount, case on it.

[Edited on 10-30-2018 by JZ]