BajaNomad

Tijuana 1930

gueribo - 10-20-2018 at 01:48 PM

An old postcard--Tijuana 1930. "Having a keen time today."

postcard1.jpg - 236kB postcard2.jpg - 212kB

BornFisher - 10-20-2018 at 04:06 PM

Very keen, thanks!

BajaBlanca - 10-20-2018 at 07:28 PM

check out the cars! this is so great, thanks for sharing!

pacificobob - 10-22-2018 at 07:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
check out the cars! this is so great, thanks for sharing!

look at the available parking!

advrider - 10-22-2018 at 07:43 AM

As they say"back in the day", very cool, where did you find that?

gueribo - 10-22-2018 at 08:10 AM

I volunteer at a local museum (in WA state), and it was a donated item, along with other postcards. The photo was taken during the prohibition era in the U.S. Fred was probably having a "keen time" at Vick's Place A-B-C Beer.

Cliffy - 10-23-2018 at 08:29 PM

Old TJ but a little later-

Back in the mid 40s my Mother worked as a bookkeeper for Casa Vega on Olvera Street in downtown LA. The Vega's were from TJ. The 3 of them decided to go to TJ for the weekend. Unfortunately my Mother was a Naturalized US citizen from Norway but didn't have her papers with her. On return she couldn't get back in to the US. Later that night the Vega's went back to TJ and put her in the trunk of the car and smuggled her back in.

I remember the Casa Vega on Olvera Street as we went there quite often (on the house) for dinner. The restaurant moved many years later to Ventura Blvd. in Studio City and was a fixture there for a couple of decades.

gueribo - 10-24-2018 at 09:48 AM

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

fishbuck - 10-24-2018 at 03:09 PM

Love it

fishbuck - 10-24-2018 at 03:13 PM

And we all know what a "keen" time in Tijuana isπŸ˜‰.
Some things never change... I always run out of postcards way too fast...😊

[Edited on 10-24-2018 by fishbuck]

thebajarunner - 10-24-2018 at 04:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
Old TJ but a little later-

Back in the mid 40s my Mother worked as a bookkeeper for Casa Vega on Olvera Street in downtown LA. The Vega's were from TJ. The 3 of them decided to go to TJ for the weekend. Unfortunately my Mother was a Naturalized US citizen from Norway but didn't have her papers with her. On return she couldn't get back in to the US. Later that night the Vega's went back to TJ and put her in the trunk of the car and smuggled her back in.

I remember the Casa Vega on Olvera Street as we went there quite often (on the house) for dinner. The restaurant moved many years later to Ventura Blvd. in Studio City and was a fixture there for a couple of decades.

Interesting dilemma.
Back in those days they never asked for no "stinkin papers"
Did she speak English?

My wife won't let me tell her story.....
but if I could it would be how after a couple of failed river attempts in TJ her aunt brought a car full of kids down from San Diego and put her in the back seat, and over they all came without a ripple.
That would have been 1972 and she was a tiny little 18 year old that sort of blended in. (But we didn't tell this story, did we?):no: