BajaNomad

Road fell in ocean

bajatrailrider - 10-23-2018 at 04:20 PM

On my way today driving off road truck to coyote Cal's north bound . Where pavement stops the dirt road fell in the ocean. There is a detour road marked about 1/6 mile both sides different way to get past it. The yellow tape at end of pavement has been torn down. Some fools are driving it anyway. I got out of truck and looked at safe distance. It is under cut your better to take detour as it will fall down also. Baja mil is already marked on detour.

David K - 10-23-2018 at 04:27 PM

Crazy! Thanks Larry... The erosion of sea cliffs marches on... I thought I took a photo near the end of the pavement (just past the Erendira Motel) last October, but nope... just this one of our buddy Rick at Coyote Cal's...

ehall - 10-23-2018 at 05:19 PM

Is that big red house in danger? Any idea who owns it?

bajatrailrider - 10-23-2018 at 05:50 PM

No Ed no casas it just after the turn from where paved road ends. The only way they could fix it is move barbwire fence on east side. I'm sure land onwer would want some coin for that. Nice picture David I go there many times.

ehall - 10-23-2018 at 06:02 PM

There was only 20 0r 30 feet between that house and the cliff. Would hate to see it go down

advrider - 10-23-2018 at 06:58 PM

How is coyote cal's, food good, do we need to make reservations before hand? We are staying there in March for the first time as we are ridding South..

norte - 10-23-2018 at 07:40 PM

darn rising oceans.

ehall - 10-23-2018 at 08:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
How is coyote cal's, food good, do we need to make reservations before hand? We are staying there in March for the first time as we are ridding South..

Food is awesome. Ta made us lobster with this sauce that was soooooo good. Let them know you are coming and make sure you lock your bikes.

David K - 10-23-2018 at 08:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
darn rising oceans.

Oceans are the same height. Cliffs fall from erosion... so, the ocean is maybe wider but not higher in those places.

chippy - 10-24-2018 at 04:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
darn rising oceans.

Oceans are the same height. Cliffs fall from erosion... so, the ocean is maybe wider but not higher in those places.

DK takes the bait again:rolleyes:.

bajatrailrider - 10-24-2018 at 06:04 AM

I think chippy took the bait again also. Rising ocean or cliff erosion you can't change it. :)

bajabuddha - 10-24-2018 at 06:05 AM

FISH ON ! ! !

bajatrailrider - 10-24-2018 at 06:08 AM

. Hey adv yes on reservation, yes on order food in advance. I'm 20 min away maybe you guys can spare extra day to trail ride.

bajatrailrider - 10-24-2018 at 06:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

Food is awesome. Ta made us lobster with this sauce that was soooooo good. Let them know you are coming and make sure you lock your bikes.
. on locking bikes I would tell Rick let you park them in game room for the night.

mtgoat666 - 10-24-2018 at 06:27 AM

darn rising oceans.

Dk,
How do you know? I am not aware of a palm tree on the beach in this area, so you do not have a sea level gage to back up your statement, eh?

bajatrailrider - 10-24-2018 at 06:55 AM

Another useless Baja nomad blow hard that is not aware of anything. You wish you knew what David knows.

chuckie - 10-24-2018 at 07:41 AM

Yadayadayadayada......

David K - 10-24-2018 at 07:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
darn rising oceans.

Dk,
How do you know? I am not aware of a palm tree on the beach in this area, so you do not have a sea level gage to back up your statement, eh?

The home I grew up in is on the beach in Del Mar, CA. I lived there from 1957 to 1964... the street it is on is called Sandy Lane... we used to rent it to Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz each summer (and we would move out for 3 months... A different house is on that lot now, but the lot and house is just as high above the ocean as it was in the 1950s.

Piers, boat launch ramps, breakwaters... all from over 50 years ago are still above the water. Lagoons and salt flats that occasionally get flushed with higher than usual tides are still only flushed the same. If the sea level had risen, these places would be the first to go underwater full time.

John Harper - 10-24-2018 at 08:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
darn rising oceans.

Dk,

The home I grew up in is on the beach in Del Mar, CA. I lived there from 1957 to 1964... the street it is on is called Sandy Lane... we used to rent it to Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz each summer (and we would move out for 3 months... A different house is on that lot now, but the lot and house is just as high above the ocean as it was in the 1950s.

Piers, boat launch ramps, breakwaters... all from over 50 years ago are still above the water. Lagoons and salt flats that occasionally get flushed with higher than usual tides are still only flushed the same. If the sea level had risen, these places would be the first to go underwater full time.

Did you rent that place to UCSD students in the late 1970's? I had a girlfriend that lived on Sandy Lane, the place was on the beach with pool IIRC. Nice place.

John

David K - 10-24-2018 at 08:28 AM

No, and this was my parents. After the Alaskan earthquake of '64 when they posted Tidal Wave Warning signs on the beach there, they decided to sell it and move inland. They regretted doing that. It was the first house on the beach as you entered Del Mar from Solana Beach... If I recall, the address was 3010 Sandy Lane. I was like 7 years old when we moved. No pool, just the Pacific Ocean and a huge sand beach then.

My mom, our dog 'Santa Claus', my swing set.

Me (just back from a swim) and my friends. Playing on the beach has never not been fun for me... still to this day!

My 'back yard'... early 1960s.

advrider - 10-24-2018 at 08:45 AM

That would be fun to hook up, let me ask the guy's. There will be three or four of us total, we could stay an extra night to get some ridding in your area. I've read that a few bikes have been stolen from there... I'll U2U you..

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
. Hey adv yes on reservation, yes on order food in advance. I'm 20 min away maybe you guys can spare extra day to trail ride.

bajatrailrider - 10-24-2018 at 09:07 AM

Very good let's ride.

Pacifico - 10-24-2018 at 09:27 AM

Crazy! Thanks Larry... The erosion of sea cliffs marches on... I thought I took a photo near the end of the pavement (just past the Erendira Motel) last October, but nope... just this one of our buddy Rick at Coyote Cal's...

Rick makes a killer margarita!!! Can't wait to go back!

StuckSucks - 10-24-2018 at 10:06 AM

This was on RDC:

John Harper - 10-24-2018 at 10:17 AM

No, and this was my parents. After the Alaskan earthquake of '64 when they posted Tidal Wave Warning signs on the beach there, they decided to sell it and move inland. They regretted doing that. It was the first house on the beach as you entered Del Mar from Solana Beach... If I recall, the address was 3010 Sandy Lane. I was like 7 years old when we moved. No pool, just the Pacific Ocean and a huge sand beach then.

Me (just back from a swim) and my friends. Playing on the beach has never not been fun for me... still to this day!

You can really see your resemblance to your mom. Cool old photos!

John

David K - 10-24-2018 at 11:03 AM

Thanks, John... so so long ago. Life was sure different when all there was to do was work and fish! My dad loved that house and he was out on the beach all the time. He even rigged up spotlights on an extension and sand spike for night fishing. We ate a lot of corbina, and thanks to a lobster-fishing friend, them too!

David K - 10-24-2018 at 11:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
This was on RDC:

Thanks Jim!

mtgoat666 - 10-24-2018 at 12:10 PM

From that first picture, compared to when i walked by there last month, looks like the beach has eroded a lot,....
Wondering if that is due to sl rise, climate change?

paranewbi - 10-24-2018 at 01:18 PM

"From that first picture, compared to when i walked by there last month, looks like the beach has eroded a lot,....
Wondering if that is due to sl rise, climate change"

Comparing a fifty + year old photo to a walk on the beach? Try this Goat...

I've been surfing that beach ('chits', Bells [as Bells beach in Australia], a few other surfer names over the years) since 1968. Probably walked that sand over 2000 times. Some minor cliff erosion, nothing else. Only difference is the surf has never been as big as it was in '69 since then.

Stay out of the sun Goat. Your delusional

[Edited on 10-24-2018 by paranewbi]

mtgoat666 - 10-24-2018 at 01:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
"From that first picture, compared to when i walked by there last month, looks like the beach has eroded a lot,....
Wondering if that is due to sl rise, climate change"

Comparing a fifty + year old photo to a walk on the beach? Try this Goat...

I've been surfing that beach ('chits', Bells [as Bells beach in Australia], a few other surfer names over the years) since 1968. Probably walked that sand over 2000 times. Some minor cliff erosion, nothing else. Only difference is the surf has never been as big as it was in '69 since then.

Stay out of the sun Goat. Your delusional

[Edited on 10-24-2018 by paranewbi]

Without a palm tree on the shore, none of us can measure the sea level change. Fact. :lol:

David K - 10-24-2018 at 02:35 PM

The beach sand level changes... the sea level has not any amount that can be noticed. The lot my home was on and the street has not risen, it is the same as 65-70 years ago and the ocean is not anywhere near covering it.

During the El NiƱo of the late 70s or early 80s, the sand washed away and they added a rock jetty/wall along the front of all the Del Mar beach homes so they would not be undermined by waves. The sand was not there to act as a barricade. The sand has since returned... but the height fluctuates over the years. The sea may get closer... but it is not higher.

John Harper - 10-24-2018 at 03:42 PM

Let's not forget there have been several massive sand replenishment projects over the last two decades. Drive up the coast and look at the beach in Cardiff right now, looks like it did in the 1970's. Except all that sand was just put there over the summer.

They are also currently dredging the mouth of San Elijo Lagoon (because it doesn't flow like it should naturally!) and adding even more sand on the beach. They replenished sand along the beach at Ponto/Carlsbad a couple years ago as well. None of that sand "returned" except by dredging operations. They just did a huge project in the San Dieguito lagoon as well and put all that sand on the beaches, or just offshore for future use. Nature had almost nothing to do with supplying most of the sand we see today.

Didn't they have an experimental "sand tube" along Del Mar? I think they tried that first and then put the rip rap on the beach after that.

But, DK has a point. Sandy Lane is not underwater, and seems about the same relative to the water as I recall from the late 70's. Of course, rebuilding the beaches periodically would skew our POV. It would be interesting to see what it looked like if sand replenishment never took place. I would imagine all cobble and riprap. There's a reason folks just north of Del Mar are fighting to build sea walls along the bluff. The ocean must be coming closer. Which kind of means "higher" does it not?

John

[Edited on 10-24-2018 by John Harper]

David K - 10-24-2018 at 03:54 PM

Yep, sand is what most people want to walk and play on... not rocks.

Before man-made concrete dams and highways, the rivers (arroyos) is how sand (once the top of granite mountains) reached the sea and spread down the coast.

Now, to have a good sand beach, they pump it to the shore from where it has piled up beyond the waves or import it. Sand moves!

John Harper - 10-24-2018 at 03:59 PM

Sand moves!

And disappears down the coast if not replenished. Perhaps some of this "sea level rise" could just be the unintended effects of dammed up rivers and lack of natural beach production for the last 100 years. Hmmm. Interesting. The lack of sand is perhaps worse than any minor sea level rise in our area.

John

[Edited on 10-24-2018 by John Harper]