BajaNomad

Thinking of new Baja book ideas.

David K - 10-26-2018 at 03:24 PM

From 2015 to 2016, I wrote 'Baja California Land of Missions' and it was published and has made a bit of success with nearly 1,000 copies distributed. I updated it with many new photos and details from my 2017 travels and a new printing of it is is in production now to satisfy my distributor, Sunbelt.

Having spent the last two years researching and producing a new road guide that is awaiting final detail work for publishing, I am thinking of what my next project might be...??

Family and friends have recommended I do a book about the hundreds of trips over my lifetime similar to what Mike Humfreville, Mike McMahan, Greg Niemann, and so many others have done.

My style of writing is detail oriented... sort of a black and white, just the facts style. Others are more 'colorful' with their words and use many adjectives. I think Graham Mackintosh does a good job of combining the two but he has some seriously good adventure stories to tell. I would appeal more to the easy-going, camp and relax after some difficult four-wheeling, kind of person... I think?

Perhaps, as Mike Humfreville did, I will write chapters here on Nomad first. As some of you know, his publisher (Sunbelt) picked just two of Mike's major stories, created out of the posts here, to turn into his book, In the Shadow of the Volcano. Sadly, Mike died shortly after his book was published.

Who here has enjoyed Froylan Tiscareño's big 'Baja California Adventures' book from 2013? It is 500 pages of detailed trip reports and stories going back to 1962. I would not even try to match his volume of data and great hiking stories in the San Pedro Mártir (mostly).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another idea is to incorporate my Baja Travel Adventure stories and articles into a book. Those 60+ articles are published online, here: https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, as I ponder ideas, here is a chance to weigh in with this poll on what you would prefer to see a book of first:

David K - 10-26-2018 at 06:40 PM

Thank for the votes... that's one for B!:light::bounce:

ehall - 10-26-2018 at 06:51 PM

Maybe a kids book with animations. Spanish and english commonly used words or phrases. Just trying to think outside the box. Not your usual style. You might enjoy it.

blackwolfmt - 10-26-2018 at 06:59 PM

How about the BEST restaurants in Baja California

David K - 10-26-2018 at 07:17 PM

I am not qualified as either an artist or a bilingual writer AND I like all food in Baja so 'best' is too easy for me... I am not fussy.

So, I say to both of you:

Go for it, you can write it!

OK, for my question: A, B, or C

BajaBlanca - 10-26-2018 at 08:18 PM

Boy, those are three very good choices. I cannot decide! Therefore, is there any way you could give us a sample of what you would do with each one? In other words, a sample of a trip story, a history story and we already have your trip reports.

JZ - 10-26-2018 at 08:22 PM

Do all three. Outline it, and provide as much details as you can.

Go on Upwork and find a couple writers.

thebajarunner - 10-26-2018 at 09:28 PM

I like your thinking
You have a wealth of info and enthusiasm
Let's talk away from the board
I have some ideas and some input
Which I am not interested in airing in front of some of the trolls lurking under the bridge.
You will remember that I partnered with Baja Bernie to create and complete his last book.

David K - 10-26-2018 at 10:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Boy, those are three very good choices. I cannot decide! Therefore, is there any way you could give us a sample of what you would do with each one? In other words, a sample of a trip story, a history story and we already have your trip reports.

Yes!
See the link in the first post to my Baja Bound Baja Travel Adventures... 62 so far, the newest one is in this month's newsletter. That is one of the three ideas.

JZ, glad you enjoy the content.

Dick, thank you... since my current book is doing well, I think I have the production part down but I welcome your input. Bernie was a good friend and his support of my work is still in my mind.

advrider - 10-26-2018 at 10:12 PM

I think something to do with your travels in Baja and maybe the history of those places? I'm really waiting for your travel guide, so maybe a travel guide with memories and stories?

Beagle - 10-27-2018 at 03:39 AM

I'm always interested in the Ranches that are still operating. Those families in the old ranchos still working it like they did 150 years ago. Their ties to the history of Baja and local lore and the pros and cons of their isolation and refusal to move to the city and get a cell phone. How they work the horses the way their forefathers did. I think that stuff is fascinating.

That's my idea. It's been done...but everything's been done.

BajaBlanca - 10-27-2018 at 05:30 AM

I read 2 of the travel articles and will surely read more. They are fantastic.

volcano - 10-27-2018 at 07:31 AM

travel, regions, and ranches with a main resident family or character that resides in that region...that really digs into current and long standing culture....or in some instances a festival that highlights the region.... a calbagatta (sp) for instance

boe4fun - 10-27-2018 at 07:55 AM

Hola David, Maybe a book(let?) of short stories, each one composed by one of the Baja officianados who frequent this and other Baja forums. I know that each of us who love the life and people SOB have experienced situations down there that embrace the pitfalls of travel, local family life, humorous incidents, etc. Shari and Ross (Bahia Asuncion) both have some great tales, and Ross is a most eloquent writer. Just my dos centavos.

[Edited on 10-27-2018 by boe4fun]

fishbuck - 10-27-2018 at 09:55 AM

A book predicting the future of Baja.

David K - 10-27-2018 at 10:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by boe4fun  
Hola David, Maybe a book(let?) of short stories, each one composed by one of the Baja officianados who frequent this and other Baja forums. I know that each of us who love the life and people SOB have experienced situations down there that embrace the pitfalls of travel, local family life, humorous incidents, etc. Shari and Ross (Bahia Asuncion) both have some great tales, and Ross is a most eloquent writer. Just my dos centavos.

[Edited on 10-27-2018 by boe4fun]

Great idea Paul.

Nomads, there is a POLL at the top of this thread, and everyone can vote. You can also click to see the results.

I think a lot of Nomads have good book writing ideas and skill. We have a few Nomad authors, as well... Graham, GregN, thebajarunner, plus the ones we have lost... Mike Humfreville, Baja Bernie, Osprey...

basautter - 10-27-2018 at 10:17 AM

I would likely buy either or both to add to my Baja library. Keep us posted! :bounce:

David K - 10-27-2018 at 10:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
A book predicting the future of Baja.

Books written in the 40's, 50's, and 60's predicted a paved road down the length of Baja... It happened at the end of 1973.

I think Nature will continue to win despite man's actions... the new highways will wash away, the fish will return, turtles are laying eggs near San Felipe for the first time since?? So good and bad will continue on and on! Someday, the sea level might even rise enough to touch the palm tree on El Coyote beach!!! :lol::lol::lol:

fishbuck - 10-27-2018 at 10:21 AM

A book about a talking palm tree on a beach...

[Edited on 10-27-2018 by fishbuck]

David K - 10-27-2018 at 10:27 AM

A book about a talking palm tree on a beach...

Oh the stories it could tell... about growing there for 100 years and hoping to someday swim in the sea... and the failed promises by government scientists who said the ocean was rising so much that his dream would come true! :lol:

fishbuck - 10-27-2018 at 10:33 AM

Exactly! A very wise old Mexican Fan Palm who sees it all...

[Edited on 10-28-2018 by fishbuck]

John Harper - 10-27-2018 at 10:40 AM

For Goat and JJJ:

"Conspiracy Theories of Old Baja"

John

fishbuck - 10-27-2018 at 10:57 AM

Exactly! A very wise old Mexican Fan Palm whose sees it all...

And he lives at a mission...
And he was the 1st palm tree brought by the priest on the boat...
And he is soo tall now he can see over the horizen. (The future)

And little children have watered him starting with a small native child who was brought to the mission... found with his mom who was killed by a cougar saving him.
It's a miracle...
And to this very day... a small child pours a humble cup of water from that same spring blessed by the PADRE...

OK DavidK.
That's your motivation. Time to shine boy!

wilderone - 10-27-2018 at 02:10 PM

I've wanted (and have done quite a few already) to follow in the footsteps of Erle Stanley Gardner's Baja's adventures. You can preface the destination with excerpts from his books, and then follow through with your own experience. Mex. 1 had not yet been paved, but finding his campsites through photos or descriptions, and then camping in the same place with current observations (many likely unchanged in 50 years) would be interesting. Visiting the ranchos, meeting the same families …. At least good for a Baja Bound Article.

vacaenbaja - 10-27-2018 at 03:40 PM

Oh not a book. I can see you on PBS as the Huell Howser of Baja.
You can go to well known and not so well known parts of Baja and
Make observations like " so here we are at the yellow ice house where Amarillo is yellow but hielo is ice?"
"That's confusing!"

shari - 10-27-2018 at 03:40 PM

for a book...stick to your passion and what you know...history! I love Wilderone's idea...right up your alley...callejon!

Jack Swords - 10-28-2018 at 06:05 AM

Mining shaped Baja for many many years. The history is fascinating and there are still locations throughout Baja with remains of that history. You already know of the San Antonio area and that resource. Baja Sur is a wealth of sources and mining does not have to be defined by just gold and silver. Then there are the current functioning mines all over the peninsula. Like the missions, these ruins are vanishing and need to be documented.

mtgoat666 - 10-28-2018 at 07:10 AM

Did not vote for any of the 2 options. Suggestion: go on an adventure, write about it.

David K - 10-28-2018 at 12:42 PM

There are THREE options.

Thank you Nomads who do read my posts and like to have Baja stories or information on your bookshelf... or at least here on Baja Nomad!

So far Option A has twice the votes of either of the other two... but with only 8 of you casting votes, it really isn't a good time to judge the results! LOL

freediverbrian - 10-28-2018 at 04:55 PM

A collection of old stories. I love the the travel logs from desert magazine or Earl Stanley Gardener , read some of the AAA exhibitions maping Baja those stories are great!

freediverbrian - 10-28-2018 at 05:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vacaenbaja  
Oh not a book. I can see you on PBS as the Huell Howser of Baja.
You can go to well known and not so well known parts of Baja and
Make observations like " so here we are at the yellow ice house where Amarillo is yellow but hielo is ice?"
"That's coynfusing!"

A quote from from Huell "Do you mean to tell me this palm tree used be dry"

55steve - 10-28-2018 at 05:09 PM

This one is going to very difficult - Document as many roadside memorials as possible along Route 1 - I always wonder about the person(s) memorialized there.

David K - 10-29-2018 at 07:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 55steve  
This one is going to very difficult - Document as many roadside memorials as possible along Route 1 - I always wonder about the person(s) memorialized there.

Like I did in 2005 with Hector's monument? >>> http://vivabaja.com/1005/