BajaNomad

can a Canadian on a tourist visa, get mexican insurance for a USA plated vehicle?

fire - 10-28-2018 at 10:39 AM

Hi there,

I am looking to buy a vehicle in La Ventana,
A fellow kiter is selling a car with USA plates.
I am a Canadian on a tourist visa, who wants a car only for the Baja.
Can I legally insure a USA plated vehicle?

David K - 10-28-2018 at 12:46 PM

The bigger problem is that as a 'tourist', you cannot leave any of your property in Mexico, when you leave. That requires a different visa.
I think the common thing for someone in your shoes is just don't tell anybody!?
The insurance question must be asked of your Mexican insurance dealer... for many Baja Nomads that would be the sponsor of this site, www.bajabound.com.

BornFisher - 10-28-2018 at 12:53 PM

Heck yeah--- anything you want!!----

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=91535

joerover - 10-29-2018 at 04:13 PM

can a Canadian on a tourist visa, get mexican insurance for a USA plated vehicle?

Only if you play basketball for the east Westchester North Stars, in the southern conference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH-gnMSzmtI

gnukid - 10-29-2018 at 04:26 PM

Most cars require yearly registration associated to an address to be insured. Apparently, you are Canadian and likely understand how to register cars through Canada and you are becoming a resident of Baja and can register cars there. But, you may not be familiar with the process and requirements to register a car in USA. The dates to register the car annually often are not changeable so you need to fulfill that step while you are away. Without an address and ability to use DMV to register, you may soon have an unregistered vehicle which is unpleasant and sometime uninsurable. I suggest you get a Canadian plated car if it goes back and forth and Mexican plated if it stays in Baja. Don't go USA plates unless you feel comfortable administrating registrations through a 3rd country that you have no residence in nor DL nor familiarity of the process which can be daunting even for citizens with residence and license.

[Edited on 10-30-2018 by gnukid]

fire - 10-30-2018 at 11:27 PM

Thanks for your honest and clear response. I've decided to NOT insure a USA plated vehicle. Instead I will get the temporary resident visa, then get a Mexican Plated one...

David K - 10-30-2018 at 11:31 PM

Winner! You will do well SeƱor Fuego!

fire - 11-1-2018 at 02:01 PM

Hi there, I just heard from a woman who sells insurance to foreigners,
that it is possible for them to set up a company for a Canadian in South dakota, which can then be used to get a car registered in the USA, which can then be used to get South dakota plates, which can then be used to get proper mexican auto insurance -

Does this raise the "sketchy" meter, or is this a legit way of doing things?

bajaguy - 11-1-2018 at 03:08 PM

Yup - You incorporate a company (foreigners can do this) and register/title the vehicle to the US company. Keep your Canadian DL, vehicle will be registered in South Dakota. You as an officer of the company can drive the vehicle. Buy Mexican insurance or US insurance if/when you cross the border........

DO NOT take the vehicle to Canada....!!

Quote: Originally posted by fire  
Hi there, I just heard from a woman who sells insurance to foreigners,
that it is possible for them to set up a company for a Canadian in South dakota, which can then be used to get a car registered in the USA, which can then be used to get South dakota plates, which can then be used to get proper mexican auto insurance -

Does this raise the "sketchy" meter, or is this a legit way of doing things?