BajaNomad

Leaving a truck in the canyons

Arthur - 3-12-2005 at 09:35 PM

We're going to be exploring the canyons on the east side of San Pedro de Martir late in March/early in April (about which we have already gotten some good advice and pointers from fellow Nomads). Is it OK to leave the truck alone for a few hours up there while we tromp around, though? We'd be camping within reach of the truck, but it sure would be a drag to be worrying about it every time we wanted to do a little exploring.

yankeeirishman - 3-13-2005 at 10:11 AM

You know that I have the same thoughts too! Whenever I leave my Land Rover anywhere, I feel that the people of the land will strip away the car to it's bare bones. Or worst...pour gasolne on the Rover and watch the little nuke fireball go off. Perhaps they will break out out my windows to steal my Dean Martin C.D.'s!Yes...I always feel this way in the USA!

Mexitron - 3-13-2005 at 01:01 PM

I'd heard of a couple cars being torched in Carrizo Canyon, next to Guadalupe Canyon, years ago....but Carrizo is closed now anyway. Other than that, no problems I've heard of in the east canyons......if you can hide the car it might give you more peace of mind.

Arthur - 3-13-2005 at 08:31 PM

I don't have these concerns anywhere here in the west -- where have you been leaving your car, YankeeIrishman -- the lower east side of New York? Come to think of it, that didn't even happen to me there.

When I'm out in the US desert, I don't give security a second thought, but I thought it might me a good idea to ask, since this territory is new to me. Of course, I don't have a Land Rover, so I might not be such an obvious target.

burro bob - 3-14-2005 at 02:18 PM

Arthur
It has been several years since I heard of someone's rig being stollen. I park out there all the time and have never had a problem. Some of my friends have kill switches somewhere in their cars or buggies so they can't be hot wired and driven away. Depending on where you park most people won't even know you are out there. It is still about a mile from west valley road to the mouths of each of the canyons. Plenty of places to stash your car so it is not in plain sight.
burro bob

Arthur - 3-14-2005 at 02:56 PM

Good advice. Thanks, Bob.

Arthur

yankeeirishman - 3-14-2005 at 07:10 PM

Err.... United States has the highest thief and vandal rates to cars, in the world. Ask the AAA. I live in Sacramento and a few HUNDRED cars go bye bye into the night each month?perhaps Anselmo, CA is too small of a Hicktown for this to happen. If you read between my lines in my reply?I was telling you that I feel it?s more safe to leave a car in Baja than the US."I don't have a Land Rover, so I might not be such an obvious target" true....I guess nobody wants your Falcoon of the 60's!

Quote:
Originally posted by Arthur
I don't have these concerns anywhere here in the west -- where have you been leaving your car, YankeeIrishman -- the lower east side of New York? Come to think of it, that didn't even happen to me there.

When I'm out in the US desert, I don't give security a second thought, but I thought it might me a good idea to ask, since this territory is new to me. Of course, I don't have a Land Rover, so I might not be such an obvious target.

[Edited on 3-15-2005 by yankeeirishman]

jide - 3-16-2005 at 04:56 PM

When I go hike the desert canyons, I try to park off-road as much as possible (with caution for local vegetation) and use my GPS to find my car on my way back.

I remember before GPS, it took us 3 hours by triangulation to find the damn car, coming out the alluvion fan of Canon Los Torrentes in Sierra Juarez....:yes: