BajaNomad

Bringing a Boat to Baja

Rossman - 11-4-2018 at 05:57 AM

Some time in the next couple months I will be heading to the states and buying a small aluminum boat and trailer. The process that I would go through to get the boat and trailer registered in my name would be about a 10 day process, which I prefer not to wait for. Would it be possible to cross back into Baja with an itemized Bill of Sale, the old registration and title, signed over to me? The boat will be under the length that would require a TIP.

woody with a view - 11-4-2018 at 07:00 AM

Treat it like a friend let you borrow it. Get a notarized letter from the seller saying he let you take it to Baja for vacation.

RnR - 11-4-2018 at 07:38 AM

I have trailered my aluminum boat to Baja six or seven times. As usual, my experience at the border varied widely depending on the Mexican customs agent and the "inspection of the day".

Most times we were just flagged through with a cursory look and the boat was treated no differently than the other camping gear.

One time, they checked the trailer registration/Vin number and never asked about the boat, (on top of the trailer).

One time, they showed great interest in the motor serial number and wanted some kind of proof that I actually owned the motor. ???? (I transport the motor clamped and locked to a horizontal mount inside the boat rather than being mounted on the transom). Never asked about the boat ....

I like Woody's idea. Get a permission letter from the seller/owner and treat it like you borrowed the boat for a vacation. I do this occasionly with a borrowed cargo trailer. Of course, I have never been asked about documentaion for the cargo trailer in three or four trips, either.

Good luck!

JZ - 11-4-2018 at 09:58 AM

What state?

California gives you at least a temp registration right on the spot. You can do it at AAA and don't even need to go to the DMV.

I'd wager all states give you what you need for the border immediately.

I've used a temporary (paper) license to get an import permit a couple times w/o it raising an eyeball.

[Edited on 11-4-2018 by JZ]

pacificobob - 11-4-2018 at 10:30 AM

very often i have found that if some paperwork is missing, a us$20 will quickly make the issue disappear.

Pacifico - 11-4-2018 at 10:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
What state?

California gives you at least a temp registration right on the spot. You can do it at AAA and don't even need to go to the DMV.

I've used a temporary (psper) license to get an import permit a couple times w/o it raising an eyeball.

Yup! Go to one of the less popular DMV's for quick service or AAA. You'll leave with papers in hand!

Rossman - 11-4-2018 at 11:28 AM

What state?

I've used a temporary (psper) license to get an import permit a couple times w/o it raising an eyeball.

South Dakota resident so it will take a mailing of forms and waiting for the new plates. They are very responsive but just don't want to wait around for them.

JZ - 11-4-2018 at 11:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Rossman  
What state?

South Dakota resident so it will take a mailing of forms and waiting for the new plates. They are very responsive but just don't want to wait around for them.

Are you 100% they don't give you a temp on the spot? I'd be surprised if they don't.

Rossman - 11-4-2018 at 03:59 PM

What state?

Are you 100% they don't give you a temp on the spot? I'd be surprised if they don't.

I'm sure they do but I will not be in SD. The boat will be purchased in CA or AZ or NV

Bob and Susan - 11-4-2018 at 04:35 PM

why drive to the usa to buy a used aluminum boat less than 15 feet?
there's tons of them already in baja...cheap too

what you need to do is buy a NEW motor

old boat...new motor
that's the best thing for baja

there is no "vessel assist" in baja...best to have something that DOESNT break

Rossman - 11-4-2018 at 07:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
why drive to the usa to buy a used aluminum boat less than 15 feet?
there's tons of them already in baja...cheap too

what you need to do is buy a NEW motor

old boat...new motor
that's the best thing for baja

there is no "vessel assist" in baja...best to have something that DOESNT break

My engine is not the problem. I have a fairly new Zuk 20 hp which runs flawlessly. My boat is a riveted aluminum which I am tired of patching. I am rather particular as to what my next boat will be and on any given day I can find 5 to 7 within 200 miles of the border that would be worth looking at. I must respectfully disagree that they are inexpensive down here. The ones that I see on Craigslist or on this forum are highly overpriced as compared to what I can get in the states. I'd love to find one down here but other that telling friends and acquaintances what I'm looking for and checking the Baja craigslist, not sure where you find these "tons" of them down here.

JZ - 11-4-2018 at 07:21 PM

Never tried it, but I'm guessing the actual title in your name would work in place of the registration?

Worst comes wot worst, make up a copy of a SD registration. I'm sure they haven't see many.

bajaguy - 11-4-2018 at 07:43 PM

I don't know about CA or AZ but in Nevada the trailer is registered and titled at DMV and the boat registered and titled at Department of Wildlife. Both have to be inspected for the VIN and HIN

......." The boat will be purchased in CA or AZ or NV....."

Bob and Susan - 11-5-2018 at 05:51 AM

... I am rather particular as to what my next boat will be and on any given day I can find 5 to 7 within 200 miles of the border that would be worth looking at. I must respectfully disagree that they are inexpensive down here. The ones that I see on Craigslist or on this forum are highly overpriced as compared to what I can get in the states. I'd love to find one down here but other that telling friends and acquaintances what I'm looking for and checking the Baja craigslist, not sure where you find these "tons" of them down here.

I learned a long time ago when looking for something hard to get let the seller come to you...

put a "wanted" ad out there...they will contact you

the small boats are everywhere...locked away

everything is ALWAYS for sale