BajaNomad

FMM in Ensenada?

bajamary1952 - 11-5-2018 at 04:01 PM

Does anyone know for certain if it's possible to get an FMM 6 mths in Ensenada. Mine expires in February, 2019 and don't want to return across the border to get another one since I plan to stay in Baja.

larryC - 11-5-2018 at 04:35 PM

If you are going to stay in Mex then, as I understand the system, you need to change your immigration status to "Residente Temporal" Not hard to do and then you don't have to stop at the border to get the FMM anymore.

[Edited on 11-5-2018 by larryC]

David K - 11-5-2018 at 05:37 PM

The INM office in Ensenada are for people arriving by sea as it is now illegal to travel south of the border INM office without one. Years ago, the border zone extended to Maneadero... and the Ensenada officer could provide tourist cards if you decided to go south or stay in Ensenada longer than 72 hours.

The number of people who followed these rules was so tiny, no doubt, as you can generally wiz into Mexico without being stopped and were on the honor system to get documented. Personally, I consider this Mexico's fault and not the casual tourist who is just trying to enjoy themselves and spend money in Mexico. The rules can be interpreted differently by officials depending on who tells them to you.

That you could actually live in Mexico and not know that the maximum stay for a tourist is 6 months of the 12, without leaving and getting a new tourist card, shows how lax the migra rules are in Mexico... or at least Baja. Maximum stay is 180 days for tourists. If you buy or rent property year-round... every year... you aren't a tourist anymore, you are a part or full-time resident of Mexico and that is a different 'visa'.

LarryC has good info!

woody with a view - 11-5-2018 at 07:41 PM

How many times have you been asked to produce the one you currently possess?

David K - 11-6-2018 at 08:52 AM

Isn't that like driving without a license if you never get pulled over? Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it (they say).

Udo - 11-6-2018 at 11:13 AM

I will guarantee that you will be asked for your tourist card at the San Ignacio military check point.
Lots of posts (on other sites) about it and their harassments of Americans.

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
How many times have you been asked to produce the one you currently possess?

[Edited on 11-6-2018 by Udo]

BajaTed - 11-6-2018 at 01:12 PM

The port office in Ensenada will do it.
Make sure anyone with you has their FMM also, you will be challenged.

bajagrouper - 11-6-2018 at 01:58 PM

DAVID K writes :
""If you buy or rent property year-round... every year... you aren't a tourist anymore, you are a part or full-time resident of Mexico and that is a different 'visa'.""

So David are you saying a snowbird from Canada or the US who comes down each year on a 180 day FMM can not own property in Mexico?

David K - 11-6-2018 at 02:04 PM

I am talking about migra status terminology...

A "tourist" goes on a vacation stays at one or more places and goes home.

A "resident" (part or full time) maintains (owns or rents) a home and leaves personal property in Mexico if he goes back to his other home part of the year, only to return to the same place in Mexico, over and over.

Until we hear differently, an FMM is for tourist visits, and you can buy property on it. You need another form for your own legal protection if you want to come back and live in Mexico.

[Edited on 11-7-2018 by David K]