BajaNomad

The Bed of Titanium west of Colonet

David K - 11-7-2018 at 04:10 PM

While unpacking in my new digs, I found the article about discovering titanium in the San Antonio del Mar dunes. It is dated May 2005. I had asked Nomads about this a few years ago.

When I visited the area last year, I found a small but interesting-looking sand mine operation (see photos below) and the former fish camp and vacation homes were all gone. I was previously there in 1980 and camped on the dunes. In the late 1960s, my folks and I camped and fished the beach here. This is when Mexico 1 turned to a dirt road north of Colonet!

In October 2017:

The road between Colonet and San Antonio del Mar is an easy drive. Turn west, before crossing the bridge into Colonet, Km. 127.5+. It is 6.5 miles to the beach. A fork at 5.1 miles will be a choice of the titanium mine (right or straight) and the beach, by the giant dunes (left). I get the feeling that they don't want any camping in the area but I saw nobody hostile and no signs at least obvious ones.

fishbuck - 11-7-2018 at 11:51 PM

They have a guard donky.

David K - 11-8-2018 at 08:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
They have a guard donky.

Yes, and he is one baaad burro!

caj13 - 11-8-2018 at 11:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
They have a guard donky.

Yes, and he is one baaad ass

fixed that for ya David! never pass up a pun or double entendre ,
you as an accomplished author know that - book writing 101!

David K - 11-8-2018 at 03:19 PM

"Burro" was the word I wanted to use. It was not the Nomad auto-correct for the potty mouths here.
Thank you anyway! :light:

caj13 - 11-8-2018 at 04:59 PM

huh - since it is commonly used in the bible - and the subspecies is asinus - biologically and religiously - ass is the correct term. Imagine that!

David K - 11-8-2018 at 05:06 PM

I used the Spanish name for the animal, intentionally.
In the past, if 'ass' was posted there was an auto-correct that changed the word to 'burro'. I guess that is no longer the case?

AKgringo - 11-8-2018 at 06:22 PM

But 'm o r o n' still gets corrected to 'maroon'?