BajaNomad

Cape area hiking trails?

gringorio - 11-15-2018 at 09:18 AM

Hola everyone,

Can anyone recommend easy to challenging hiking trails in the canyons and mountains of the cape region?

I've got 10 days off the ship and want to explore some terrestrial habitats between Cabo, San Jose del Cabo, Cabo Pulmo and La Paz. I'll have a rental car so easy access dirt roads are fine.

Thanks!

windgrrl - 11-15-2018 at 09:51 AM

Try the Trailforks app for a few ideas.
Hope you enjoy!

gringorio - 11-15-2018 at 11:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by windgrrl  
Try the Trailforks app for a few ideas.
Hope you enjoy!

Cool app, thank you!

mlspottery - 11-16-2018 at 08:13 AM

Great hiking / biking trails at Rancho Cacachilas just east of La Paz.
https://www.ranchocacachilas.com/trails-biking-hiking/
Also lots of trails north and south of La Ventana listed on Trailforks
Enjoy your exploration!

Dropin - 11-16-2018 at 12:12 PM

If you can get a copy of this book, it will give you lots of ideas for hikes.

https://www.amazon.com/Hikes-Cape-Region-Baja-Sur/dp/0942153...

wilderone - 11-16-2018 at 01:03 PM

Just NW of Santiago (go through the town), you come to the access roads to Sierra de la Laguna. From Sol de Mayo you can hike for miles into the canyons, past the waterfall and stream pools. I crossed the stream pools to find the trail started to ascend going [??] I was only wear a bathing suit and left daypack on the other side of the stream, so I didn�t progress � looked intriguing.

Between San Bartolo and San Antonio there is another access road to the Sierra de la Laguna � sign on the road. You might bring a folding shovel to help out in a dicey area.

Also, if you go to Los Arbolitos beach, there is a coastal trail that goes south for miles - pretty flat but goes inland cross-country. There was a large midden area along the coast - probably evidence inland of indios Antigua as well. The bench above the beach in northerly direction looked intriguing too.

[Edited on 11-16-2018 by wilderone]