BajaNomad

New Years in/around La Paz

jgoldy - 11-23-2018 at 05:11 PM

Hi wise folk,
I'm new here but I thought I'd cast my line for some tips.
I'll be in the La Paz area for New Years Eve, and I was wondering if I should just hit the town, or if there will be anything cool and worth checking out in the general area for new years eve festivities?

If La Paz is the best bet, any specific ideas?

And I won't be going to CSL so no suggestions there por favor!

Cheers all

tobias - 11-23-2018 at 06:12 PM

I was there for Carnival last year and it was quite a party. There were live bands all over the Malecon and people seemed very happy.
I can imagine its probably also a good city for NYE but have no first hand knowledge.

AKgringo - 11-23-2018 at 06:27 PM

The night life is no longer part of my life, but a few years back (quite a few) my wife and I went out on the town in La Paz.

There wasn't a whole lot going on, so we went back to the hotel about 10;30, which we soon realized was about when the locals start showing up!

An afternoon siesta will help you keep up!

Lee - 11-23-2018 at 06:43 PM

The party will be on the Malecon. Stay local so you don't have to drive home. Hotel Perla is a good choice. Party will last into the night so don't expect to sleep.

gnukid - 11-23-2018 at 09:43 PM

Bring a picnic basket with champagne to the malecon to watch sunset

AKgringo - 11-23-2018 at 10:09 PM

By the way, welcome to the forum!

BajaBlanca - 11-24-2018 at 07:31 AM

Welcome to the forum and please be sure to post some info and photos because, hoenestly, this question stumped me! I can't recall anyone ever writing about New Year's in La Paz.

jgoldy - 11-24-2018 at 07:54 AM

Thanks for the welcomes! Happy to have found this forum.

I'll definitely report how it goes NYE. Sounds like I should play it by ear and head for the Malecon in La Paz.... does anyone know if there's a fireworks display? (An actual display over the water)

I'm young enough to stay out late but old enough for it to take some effort :)

bajaguy - 11-24-2018 at 08:08 AM

There will always be (unorganized) fireworks and gunshots.....reminds one of being in Beruit or Aleppo.

Quote: Originally posted by jgoldy  
Thanks for the welcomes! Happy to have found this forum.

I'll definitely report how it goes NYE. Sounds like I should play it by ear and head for the Malecon in La Paz.... does anyone know if there's a fireworks display? (An actual display over the water)

I'm young enough to stay out late but old enough for it to take some effort :)

jgoldy - 11-24-2018 at 02:38 PM

I've spent my share of NYE in East LA;)

I was hoping for the big expensive fireworks that people gather to watch

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
There will always be (unorganized) fireworks and gunshots.....reminds one of being in Beruit or Aleppo.