BajaNomad

Garmins Mexico topo map chip

ReTire - 11-28-2018 at 09:12 AM

How do you like it? Or does someone have an alternative chipset they use?

Sure seems like a digital map would be real handy for Baja.
Although I still use good ol paper map and compass as well.

4x4abc - 11-28-2018 at 10:23 AM

looks like it is just a re-branding of the BiciMapas chip

norte - 11-28-2018 at 10:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
looks like it is just a re-branding of the BiciMapas chip

It says that is where it comes from if you read the fine print.

JZ - 11-28-2018 at 11:40 AM

Use Back Country Navigator or Gaia on your phone. Much better than Garmin.

Standalone GPS are going the way of the dinosaur.

ReTire - 11-28-2018 at 12:07 PM

Hmm. I do have Gaia on my tablet. Was not aware that it’s coverage extended into Mexico. I should be able to port it over since it is subscription based.

I will look for that bicimapas chip, as I do like the Garmin Montana for motorbikes.

ReTire - 11-28-2018 at 12:09 PM

A lot of phone apps need a connection to work though!

I know that you can take clips on Gaia for the area you are interested in.

Thanks for the tips

StuckSucks - 11-28-2018 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ReTire  

Thanks for the tips

Exactly. Preload all the maps you want while you have connectivity -- all work great once you're offline, in remote Baja.

JZ - 11-28-2018 at 12:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ReTire  

Thanks for the tips

You can download all the maps to work off line. I have all of Baja on my phone.

One device, great maps (satellite and topo), huge screen with a bright display, really easy to use/understand UI, use the same keyboard you use everyday, share back and forth with Google Earth on a desktop.

I've had 5-10 Garmins over the years. Complete trash compared to today's phone apps. Back Country is my favorite, but Android only. They have an iPhone version in beta, but I don't think it supports track importing yet.

Other's love Gaia, which looks very good. MotionX is terrible.

[Edited on 11-28-2018 by JZ]

4x4abc - 11-28-2018 at 12:31 PM

just as I thought - no real topos
http://www.bicimapas.com.mx/Topo_Mexico_MGA.htm

advrider - 11-28-2018 at 02:04 PM

As JZ said, a phone app is the way to go. The only good Baja maps for Garmin are the E-32 but they run about a $100. I use the E-32 on my Garmin and run my phone as my main source. Phone app's are so easy to use compared to Garmin anything! I use Osmand app on my phone, I have the high dollar($3) paid one, lol..

Desertbull - 11-28-2018 at 02:52 PM

E-32 now available as an APP for you phone or iPad ... works excellent.

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
As JZ said, a phone app is the way to go. The only good Baja maps for Garmin are the E-32 but they run about a $100. I use the E-32 on my Garmin and run my phone as my main source. Phone app's are so easy to use compared to Garmin anything! I use Osmand app on my phone, I have the high dollar($3) paid one, lol..

JZ - 11-28-2018 at 02:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Desertbull  
E-32 now available as an APP for you phone or iPad ... works excellent.

It took them 5-10 years too long to do it. And is Apple only. I emailed the guy way back in the day about app support.

norte - 11-28-2018 at 04:18 PM

So using your phone with no connection will give you your current position? or do you still have to have a GPS connection.

[Edited on 11-28-2018 by norte]

JZ - 11-28-2018 at 04:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
So using your phone with no connection will give you your current position? or do you still have to have a GPS connection.

[Edited on 11-28-2018 by norte]

Yes, no cellular or wi-fi connection required for location services. Phones have built in GPS. Doesn't require cell connection.

But not all iPads have GPS, you have to get one that isn't Wi-Fi only or use an external GPS. Not sure about Samsung tablets.

[Edited on 11-28-2018 by JZ]

4x4abc - 11-28-2018 at 05:54 PM

I'll have a complete topo map set for Baja to offer soon.
The good old pdf version.
Printable!
Searchable!
Perfect if you are truck based and have a pad or a laptop.
On a stick or as a download.

ReTire - 11-28-2018 at 06:38 PM

I can attest to the “not all iPads have a gps”!

I got the WiFi only version....no gps...grr!

The workaround is to buy a 3rd party gps and plug it in. It works, but you have to have it plugged into the tablet. Using the Bad Elf unit...so far so good.

JZ - 11-28-2018 at 07:29 PM

Printable!
Searchable!

Would love to see it Harald.

advrider - 11-28-2018 at 07:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Printable!
Searchable!

Would love to see it Harald.

X2.....

4x4abc - 11-28-2018 at 10:20 PM

will set it up

DouglasP - 11-29-2018 at 05:58 AM

Count me in, too!

John Harper - 11-29-2018 at 07:07 AM

I'm a complete beginner on apps, any apps. But this Osman GPS app seems worthwhile. How do I find a California and Baja map and download it? I do lots of backcountry hiking and fishing, so other states like WY, MT, ID, and CO would be useful too.

I went to their website on my computer and was totally confused. I don't see any listing of maps or their coverage areas. I haven't tried to go to their app on my Iphone SE, do I have to do that to find a selection of maps?

John

advrider - 11-29-2018 at 07:37 AM

Go to the app store on your phone and search the name, it will show up. You need to start with the map of the us as your base map and then add to that. I think you only get four maps with the free app and unlimited with the paid. Just down load it and start trying things out, that's how I learned. One nice thing is if someone emails you tracks, when you open the email they will be shown and saved in your app. Way eaiser than Garmin!

John Harper - 11-29-2018 at 08:03 AM

Go to the app store on your phone and search the name, it will show up. You need to start with the map of the us as your base map and then add to that. I think you only get four maps with the free app and unlimited with the paid. Just down load it and start trying things out, that's how I learned. One nice thing is if someone emails you tracks, when you open the email they will be shown and saved in your app. Way eaiser than Garmin!

Great, I'll give it a shot.

John

ztrab - 12-12-2018 at 10:17 PM

Printable!
Searchable!

I'd like to see it as well. I have the AAA SoCal map in a pdf file but its just an image file. I also have the older Bicimapas from Alberto before he sold it to Garmin. It was nice because it is routeable but the base maps are just so-so, albeit topos. The garmin licensed "Mexico Topo" was Alberto's 2016 version - not worth the upgrade for me. I also have the E32 which has a decent base topo map - not routeable but helpful with my own tracks and those I've trade/shared with other riders. I used oz maps once when my gps died. I'm tempted to get a beater android phone as a back up. Thanks!