BajaNomad

Is there a grocery store in San Felipe that sells fresh foods?

Ken Cooke - 12-1-2018 at 02:57 PM

During my February trip I will need to restock with fresh foods such as fruit, vegetables and fish for the freezer. Does this exist in San Felipe? OXXO Just doesn't cut it.:!:

tobias - 12-1-2018 at 03:20 PM

San Felipe is a good sized town by Baja standards.
Bakeries , coffee shops and at least one good sized market. Calimax should have everything you need.

bajaguy - 12-1-2018 at 03:21 PM

There is a Calimax, a local market and several fresh fruit/vegetable stands. Also a fish market, and several fresh shrimp vendors on the malecon

Paco Facullo - 12-1-2018 at 04:29 PM

I visited a friend of mine that has lived in the San Felipe area for over 20 years. I stopped off at a market in town and bought some chayote squash to have with a chicken I brought.
Well he had never tried that type of squash. It's more common with Mexican people. He really liked it. W/ salt, pepper and plenty of butter...
Try it if you haven't, it's good !

PaulW - 12-1-2018 at 04:34 PM

On Tuesday the fresh veggie place is across the street west of Calimax
On Saturday same guy is at the El Dorado swap market. Open to the public. What he sells comes from the farmers market in Mexicali and is less than one day old.
Otherwise go to Calimax and find ok veggies.

willardguy - 12-1-2018 at 04:35 PM

DJ's for tortilla's, everything else at Calimax ;)

David K - 12-1-2018 at 04:36 PM

Fruit and veggies are sold in many spots as well as sea food. The Calimax is huge... been there a few years now. I can ask on the South Campos Facebook page and I bet others here are in El Dorado Ranch and can advise? San Felipe is big now, and Mexicans love fresh food as they are great cooks.

chuckie - 12-1-2018 at 04:41 PM

Seems like kind of a dumb question? Town isn't that big...Go look...Or do we need an "APP" to find a grocery store?

John Harper - 12-1-2018 at 04:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Seems like kind of a dumb question? Town isn't that big...Go look...Or do we need an "APP" to find a grocery store?

But, what if I want a nut, lactose, and gluten free certified organic market? And a civet cat poop beans cup of coffee? Where am I going to get free WiFi so I can Facebook, Instagram, Tweet, and upload my thousands of selfies? You're not helping here, Chuck!

John

[Edited on 12-1-2018 by John Harper]

StuckSucks - 12-1-2018 at 04:55 PM

The Calimex in SF:

[Edited on 12-2-2018 by StuckSucks]

chuckie - 12-1-2018 at 05:52 PM

John ? Stay in Kalifornia if you need that stuff....

MBSPRINTER - 12-1-2018 at 06:11 PM

CaliMex....great selection and cleaner than any grocery store in NOTB!

chuckie - 12-1-2018 at 06:29 PM

I totally agree!

Ken Cooke - 12-1-2018 at 07:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  

It's a dumb question, but my health now requires fresh food,not processed or canned junk. I carry a Dometic fridge (with freezer compartment) for food storage. I have heard about a Calimax grocery store, but I have never actually seen it. I am asking so that it can be found as this time, there is no opportunity for trial and error. Group dynamics depend on it.

Ken Cooke - 12-1-2018 at 07:45 PM

Thanks to Google Maps, I located it. It must either be new or hidden or both. I haven't been to San Felipe in two years, so this is an important stop for me.

IMG_20181201_184207.jpg - 100kBIMG_20181201_184233.jpg - 61kB

David K - 12-1-2018 at 09:09 PM

Ken, it's on the highway coming to downtown. Parking in front. It is where the Clam Man used to be.

AKgringo - 12-1-2018 at 09:21 PM

I found it last year, and wasn't even looking for it! You won't have any trouble seeing it from the main road.

Ken Cooke - 12-1-2018 at 09:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I found it last year, and wasn't even looking for it! You won't have any trouble seeing it from the main road.

That will be very helpful. I'm excited to purchase fresh food in San Felipe.

John Harper - 12-2-2018 at 06:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
I carry a Dometic fridge (with freezer compartment) for food storage.

In your Jeep? What size? Where do you mount it? How do you secure it?

John

bajamary1952 - 12-2-2018 at 09:43 AM

I was NOT impressed with the selection of produce at SF Calimax when I stayed there for 2 months. Most of the produce was substandard compared to other Calimaxes in larger cities such as Ensenada. The only place you'll find fresh food that has not been shipped from Ensenada or Valle de Trinidad or somewhere else is the roadside stands. There was one near Calimax when I was last there in October. In general, not impressed with any store in SF since it is a relatively small town with limited selections.

Desertbull - 12-2-2018 at 09:49 AM

Bro, if you can’t find the Calimax something is seriously wrong. Is this a late night drunk post🙈 .... it’s been there for YEARS and it’s got a huge sign! Come on this isn’t a real post are you testing us?

Thanks to Google Maps, I located it. It must either be new or hidden or both. I haven't been to San Felipe in two years, so this is an important stop for me.

chippy - 12-2-2018 at 10:27 AM

There is also Bodega Aurrera close by.:light:
https://www.google.com.mx/maps/place/Mi+Bodega+Aurrera+Mar+d...

[Edited on 12-2-2018 by chippy]

motoged - 12-2-2018 at 10:34 AM

Ken,
You appear to go to Baja frequently....pole-Lining and romantic getaways con su esposa....I am surprised you have not ventured beyond hotels and Oxxos for your vittles...

Ya gotta get out of that Jeep and walk around a bit more....:light:

bajapedro - 12-2-2018 at 10:58 AM

The Rancho Market, which is across the road from the first Pemex as you drive toward town, has a pretty good selection of everything as well. They have a deli and have fresh ham and cheese croissants in the morning, as well as fruit pastries. Produce, a few weeks ago was very good.
In Rancho Percebu, (KM 20 south of town) there is a gentleman (Ernesto) who grows fresh corn, cantaloupe, peppers etc.. will pick right off the plant.

RFClark - 12-2-2018 at 12:59 PM

Hi,

The best “Gringo” Market I know of is located across the street from the best Medical Clinic and the First PEMEX Station just North of town. It’s called the Rancho Market Deli and Liquor.

Ken Cooke - 12-2-2018 at 04:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
I carry a Dometic fridge (with freezer compartment) for food storage.

In your Jeep? What size? Where do you mount it? How do you secure it?

John

It is the 65 quart dual zone fridge. I place it atop my interior rack behind my drivers and passenger seats. I tie it down on its handles.

mjs - 12-3-2018 at 07:55 AM

Calimax is the large store in town. There is also DJ's market and La Vaquita plus a number of smaller shops. Vegetables can be hit and miss regarding selection and quality even at the vegetable stand. We'll usually hit at least a couple of stores to check out the availability and freshness. For seafood there are a couple of fish markets and Calimax.

Desertbull - 12-3-2018 at 08:26 AM

17 years old going on 60 bro ... this post was NOT about the WHAT(ham-cheese-steak) its WHERE ..:lol::o:lol::lol:

Quote: Originally posted by Desertbull  
Bro, if you can’t find the Calimax something is seriously wrong. Is this a late night drunk post🙈 .... it’s been there for YEARS and it’s got a huge sign! Come on this isn’t a real post are you testing us?

You're talking like a High School kid Tim? Bro?
I am a light to non drinker, Ham is too salty and causes changes in my blood pressure. Cheese has a horrible taste that I cannot tolerate. I can't/won't eat cantaloupes/melons, aguas/jugos, bread/pasteries, beef, a lot of staples you find in Mexico. Vegetables, black beans and nuts are best for keeping my blood sugar steady, so that's what I stay with. Bro..

Located on Google Maps

Ken Cooke - 12-4-2018 at 06:27 AM

No wonder I couldn't find the Calimax. It was built since my last visit in 2016. ;)

IMG_20181204_052419.jpg - 91kB

Desertbull - 12-4-2018 at 08:29 AM

:O:no::no::no::no::lol::lol:

Nah - Calimax opened up in early 2014 after a 6 month construction process.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=73836

No wonder I couldn't find the Calimax. It was built since my last visit in 2016. ;)

chippy - 12-4-2018 at 08:38 AM

It opened before that. I´m thinking 2012?

PaulW - 12-4-2018 at 09:08 AM

Recently Calimax in SF was expanded quite a bit with much increased floor space and more shelving. Food choices also have been expanded and there are many more items gringos see to like (me for instance). Not perfect as we still use Rancho for bread and bananas - good because it is close by. The customers at Calimax are still heavily weighted for the local population. I suspect all the gringos shop there now. The best thing about Calimax is now days we do not have to go 5 different stores to get our basic needs. And I said before the veggies are pretty good, but not as good and the guy from Mexicali who shows up on Tuesday and Saturday.

willardguy - 12-4-2018 at 10:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

It opened before that. I´m thinking 2012?

im thinking we have a winner! :D http://sanfelipe.com.mx/2012/08/31/grand-opening-of-the-cali...

JZ - 12-8-2018 at 08:46 PM

What are the best spots to pick up fish, shrimp, and carne asada?